Have a seller install CFW or DIY?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gorkensnorkel, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Gorkensnorkel
    OP

Gorkensnorkel GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    I was about to purchase a new 3ds and noticed some sellers say they will install arm9loaderhax before shipping if it is requested. Now with my PS3 I am very happy I installed the CFW myself since I know all about how to maintenance it and repair if there are problems but it seems like there is a rediuclously high chance of bricking (even with the newer methods) and I honestly don't want to waste 300-400 dollars. So would it be better to have the seller install the CFW for me and just try to learn about it "after the fact"?

I know I will want to back up the various nand files to help in the case of a brick later on but I am guessing all that can be done after installing the CFW and not just during the process like the guides instruct me to do, right?

Edit: And what is up with sending off your 3ds to have it hard modded? Is that worth it?

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel, Dec 15, 2016
  2. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    I'd recommend buying your 3DS unmodified unless the specific model you want needs a hard mod downgrade or you can't to a DSiWare downgrade.

It's more 'fun' doing the softmodding yourself and it gives you a better idea of what the softmod does. Give the guide a few reads before you do the job and don't stray from the guide.

When I downgraded my 10.3 3DS it was very risky. Luckily I did it without a hitch. Now the downgrade won't brick you (or at least very very very unlikely) if you follow the guide perfectly.

3. Gorkensnorkel
    OP

Gorkensnorkel GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Well, it should come with firmware v9.2 out of the box so there shouldn't be a downgrade, right? The downgrade is the part where bricking is most likely to occur correct?

Thanks for your reply, btw. Everyone on this site has been very helpful in the past and its always appreciated.

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel, Dec 15, 2016
  4. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I sell ton of 3ds's. I try to specialize in hard to find units.

It really boils down to if you want to just pick up and play or take the time to do it yourself. Pro of getting someone to do it you basically avoid potential bricks, con is you'll pay more

5. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    9.2 to a9lh/cfw is pretty straight forward - are they adding a charge for it being modded?

6. Hyoretsu

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    I was lucky enough to find a 10.7 Dual IPS N3DS. And the guy probably didn't know it was Dual IPS, because it had the 3rd lowest price I've ever seen on that model (N3DS Super Mario 3D Land Edition).