Have a flashed box, need to update to the newest firmware

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by mrwienerdog, Sep 11, 2011.

1. mrwienerdog
    OP

Member mrwienerdog GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I had a friend mod my 360 originally. I got the new NHL 12 yesterday, and it doesn't work. I noticed awhile ago on abgx.net that there was a new version of the IExtreme fw out. Figured I would have to get my machine flashed again. Where should I start? I'm not sure which drive I have, all I know is he had to solder something onto the drive to make the original IExtreme flash work. Please help an old man like me with a pointer towards the appropriate guide, or any helpful hints.

Thanks in advance.

2. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    I've had a chance to read a couple of things, and am a little (more) confused. Do I have to reset the drive to stock firmware, then update to the official dashboard, and then re-flash to 1.92?

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yeah for the first time in the history of the 360 MS updated the drive firmware a couple of updates back and we just got games that require said update (there is usually a couple of weeks/months lag between the updates appearing and games that use/require it appearing with it on disc- this is what we call a disc wave these days) making this just about the first truly mandatory update. You do have to drop back to official just for the update after which you can flash up to a hacked one.

That he had to solder something could mean various things as there have been solder requiring methods way in the past but most likely it is an 8v2 or 9 series liteon. If you can get the keys from your friend do so* otherwise you are probably going to have to either do the MRA hack (which would have called for solder to fix it) or more likely pogo ma thoin. Good news if you get the keys with which to build the firmware is you can just flash it without much hassle (although a compatible nvidia board or via 6421 are nice it is usually worth a go with whatever sata you have around for liteon).

*I presume you friend used jungleflasher to do the deed- as of several versions back all keys extracted/used with it are stored and if he has the firmware you flashed still you can pull keys from that.

I should also say we have XDG3 games in the wild now (all the recent games with JTAG in the title use it)- the update for the drives was done so as to allow this new format of disc to work and very shortly I expect all games will be using it (again a bit of lag is expected between it being available and being used). The new firmware supports XDG3 originals but copies are set to appear in 2.0 whenever that comes.

Speaking of things that need mentioning we are seeing the rise of a new hack of similar calibre to the JTAG (total control over the system) which might be worth keeping in mind over the coming weeks. It is called the reset glitch if you fancy reading up but abilities when it gets a bit more developed should be in line with the JTAG boxes.

Edit: forgot to link a guide. I will link the jungleflasher one up for now but once you have keys it is the standard drive flash which pretty much boils down to power drive with tray half closed and press burn my nice new firmware then repeat for the hacked one.
    http://jungleflasher.net/downloads.html

4. mrwienerdog
    OP

Canada
    Thank you so much for this plethora of information.