Have a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zerof, Nov 5, 2008.

1. zerof
    OP

zerof GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    Hello,

I read through a couple of sticky threads here but this whole soft modding thing is really new to me. I'm pretty sure I have a wii (totally untouched) that does not have the Oct. 23 update.

I've read about the twilight hack before and I have the game The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess so I could likely do it that way.

But at the end of the first post of the thread I see "I recommend you use the Homebrew Channel instead of the loader, you then wouldn't need twilight princess" and in later posts I can see people saying that you MUST use zelda + sd card. I'm not sure if the homebrew channel got updated since those posts or I MUST to use the twilight hack?

So my first question, can I just follow this thread instead of doing the twilight hack?
    October 23rd Wii Fix by ‘a_running_pir8’
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112945

And since this is an "October 23rd Wii Fix" should I update the wii before doing it or does it matter?

I wanted to play backups of games that I own so I will install Wiigator Backup Loader (since this seems most popular) from the Homebrew Channel.. or I think that is how I do it. Will I need to patch the .iso of the backups that I burn or is that not required anymore?

Also for games that require updates from nintendo, will I need to patch them first or can I just update?

I will be doing all of this with a wiimote also, so I hope that's ok.

Thanks

2. I_Got_Wii'D

I_Got_Wii'D GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    United States
    Ok first, You will need to get and use the Twilight Princess hack

Using the Twilight Princess Hack, You can install the Homebrew Channel (After the Homebrew Channel is installed, THEN you will no longer need the Twilight Hack)

After the Homebrew Channel is installed, you can start getting to work on getting an ISO loader. Download the link I am about to post, it is an all in one installer for both ISO loaders. Very easy to install and use:

All In One ISO Loader Installer (EVERYTHING You need to run Backups)

Also included in that .ZIP folder is a safe installer for the 3.3 update. I would suggest using it.

You will need to look to see if a specific game needs patched. I always patch my ISO files tho.

Also (In case you don't know), Here is a guide to patching (and burning) a Wii ISO file:

Step One - Using a Backup Creator (Look for the GUI edition, You will need the "Common-Key.bin" file tho). Double Click on the "Backup Creator" icon. Using the "browse" window that will open, look for your game's "ISO" file.

Once you select it click the "open" button.

Step Two - Once it is all done, you will have yourself a new ISO file. This new file will be 3.99gig and will have "(Converted)" at the end of the file name.

Step Three - Open the program you will use to burn the ISO file (either IMGburn or DVD decrypter).

Step Four - Now browse for you're Converted ISO file and select it.

Step Five - Setup the program to burn in the Book Type of DVD-Rom.

Step Six - Burn the Converted ISO file to you're blank DVD. When IMGburn first gets ready to start the burn process, if you toward the bottom of the lower window. It will say Book Type: "Selected Book Type" (Here it will tell you what booktype you have selected the burner to use).

Step Seven - When it is done burning (again, so long as the correct booktype has been selected), You will have a working backup game disc.

Now so long as you have you're backup loader installed on you're Nintendo Wii, Just go to the approriate Channel (Either the Backup loader 0.1 or WiiGee Loader 0.3), and load the game with the correct settings.

Any game from the US region will play with the default settings

Any game from the PAL region You will have to Force NTSC from the Config Menu of the backup loader you are using.

Ok, you should now be all good to go. So you go and enjoy those (legally obtained) Wii backups. [​IMG]

3. zerof
    OP

Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    Wow. I should be able to get this done now.

A couple more questions before I do this:

"Also included in that .ZIP folder is a safe installer for the 3.3 update. I would suggest using it." - I see the folder but I'm not sure how I would go about installing it on the wii.. or any of those apps in the sd folder.

Edit: I've done a little reading and I guess this would be done through the Homebrew Channel.

I use WiiBrickBlocker as my "Backup Creator" on step 1, right?

4. BIG MOE

BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Oct 19, 2008
    Syria
    Wiiland Hills
    that's correct and never update from Nintendo .

5. 20clarky08

20clarky08 Official Wii Freak

Oct 29, 2008
    ScouseLand
    just a quick question guys me cousins wii is on 3.1 at the mo with wiigator 0.3 installed

can i run the safe 3.3 update on 3.1 or can it only be ran on 3.3v1?

this is the only think am confused about..how to update from 3.1/3.2 to 3.3v1 without having to use bigN or downgrade.

6. zerof
    OP

Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    Great, thanks. And thanks for your help also I_Got_Wii'd.