Homebrew Question Has there been any work towards porting shield games to switch?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know 6.0 just dropped recently but the shield has quite a few games that realistically we are never going to get on the switch. Like portal and doom 3 big edition. Has anyone researched on how we could get these in horizon? I know it would probably require some application to set the icon and package it as a .nsp file. But think about it we could not only get all the games from the shield but the Wii games from China as well. Since most likely if we are ever going to get official wii games on switch it’s gonna be when I’m out of high school.

Reactions: Fadi5555

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware may be almost the same but the OS is not. So, it's not that simple. Until you get Android on it you won't be getting very far. Even then you'd have a lot of work left. It's perfectly doable but at the same rate I don't see why anyone would want to bother. I don't even think anyone has bothered to pirate those Wii games or to work outside of China without all the hoops you need to do to play it outside there.

It's basically like expecting Mac PCs, Linux PCs and Windows PC software to work well interchangeably because they use the same hardware. Software still uses the OS' to access the hardware.

Last edited by goober,

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will admit that some of those games on the shield are trash and very bad ports. Like Resident Evil 5. But some of those games really would be fun to play on the switch. so I guess if we could pay someone to do it. that would be fun. I don't know much about the software myself. I know they are completely different but it horizon and android different forms of Linux.

Reactions: Fadi5555

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the same reason no developer "ports" ps1 PS2 PS3 PS4 360 xb1 etc games, because they don't have the right to, you aren't talking about open source.

Reactions: Full Metal

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
horizon and android different forms of Linux.

Horizon is not based on Linux. At all. And Android is based on the Linux kernel and uses some other parts of the GNU project under the hood but it's not a "different form of Linux" in the way that I think you're referring to.

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will admit that some of those games on the shield are trash and very bad ports. Like Resident Evil 5. But some of those games really would be fun to play on the switch. so I guess if we could pay someone to do it. that would be fun. I don't know much about the software myself. I know they are completely different but it horizon and android different forms of Linux.

Actually there’s some good games like tomb raider. Metal gear solid 5 and even resident evil 5 we really hope to get these port to switch eventually.

Reactions: Full Metal

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure this is summed up to having nvidia release the latest drivers for android. That's what L4T is basically except there needs to be more drivers they have to release. Nvidia android market has portal, half life 2, easily installable emulators (including dolphin), and app support in general.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See it’s possible! I just don’t have the time to use in learning how to code
Ah yea, we can port an open source version of DOOM 3, which automatically means we can port Nintendo’s/Nvidia’s propriety and closed source gamecube/wii emulator that is heavily protected with DRM (it checks for some shit in the fuses, and uses tsec shit iirc) and encryption

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Ah yea, we can port an open source version of DOOM 3, which automatically means we can port Nintendo’s/Nvidia’s propriety and closed source gamecube/wii emulator that is heavily protected with DRM (it checks for some shit in the fuses, and uses tsec shit iirc) and encryption

What I missed? Of what emulator you are talking?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1