Question Has there been any work towards porting shield games to switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Dominator211, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    i know 6.0 just dropped recently but the shield has quite a few games that realistically we are never going to get on the switch. Like portal and doom 3 big edition. Has anyone researched on how we could get these in horizon? I know it would probably require some application to set the icon and package it as a .nsp file. But think about it we could not only get all the games from the shield but the Wii games from China as well. Since most likely if we are ever going to get official wii games on switch it’s gonna be when I’m out of high school.

2. goober

goober GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2006
    United States
    Hardware may be almost the same but the OS is not. So, it's not that simple. Until you get Android on it you won't be getting very far. Even then you'd have a lot of work left. It's perfectly doable but at the same rate I don't see why anyone would want to bother. I don't even think anyone has bothered to pirate those Wii games or to work outside of China without all the hoops you need to do to play it outside there.

It's basically like expecting Mac PCs, Linux PCs and Windows PC software to work well interchangeably because they use the same hardware. Software still uses the OS' to access the hardware.

Last edited by goober, Sep 22, 2018
  3. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    I will admit that some of those games on the shield are trash and very bad ports. Like Resident Evil 5. But some of those games really would be fun to play on the switch. so I guess if we could pay someone to do it. that would be fun. I don't know much about the software myself. I know they are completely different but it horizon and android different forms of Linux.

Fadi5555 likes this.
  4. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    the same reason no developer "ports" ps1 PS2 PS3 PS4 360 xb1 etc games, because they don't have the right to, you aren't talking about open source.

Full Metal likes this.
  5. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Horizon is not based on Linux. At all. And Android is based on the Linux kernel and uses some other parts of the GNU project under the hood but it's not a "different form of Linux" in the way that I think you're referring to.

6. Fadi5555

Fadi5555 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2018
    United States
    Actually there’s some good games like tomb raider. Metal gear solid 5 and even resident evil 5 we really hope to get these port to switch eventually.

Full Metal likes this.