Hacking Has There Been any Upscaling Methods for Wii Titles on Wii U?

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I want to ask is well that... If I'm right programs like Dolphin can upscale older games into 1080p, and since thats possible. Can the wii U upscale it to 1080p through some exploit or method. I don't know the work behinds to Dolphin to do this, I just wanted to know if its possible on wii u. Any help is appriciated :D

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I wanna ask though, how is dolphin able to run at 1080p?
Upscaled by the video card. This is only true for 3d elements. All 2d graphics retain the original resolution unless it's upscaled using filters. This also takes a lot of power.

On the WiiU, it's handled differently. When it boots in Wii mode, everything is identical to a Wii, and unless someone finds how to run Wii games in WiiU mode, upscaling wouldn't be possible.

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For this to happen, A Nintendon't like program would need to be made as that would run Wii games in Wii U mode so they could take advantage of the hardware.
What about the wii games released on the eshop, I dont own one personally, but do they take advangate of the wii u hardware, or is it using the vwii chip?

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For this to happen, A Nintendon't like program would need to be made as that would run Wii games in Wii U mode so they could take advantage of the hardware.
What about the wii games released on the eshop, I dont own one personally, but do they take advangate of the wii u hardware, or is it using the vwii chip?

D

Deleted User

I wanna ask though, how is dolphin able to run at 1080p?
let me explain. The wiiu has two graphic chips. one has gx2 the other just gx. When it enters wii mode. the cpu underclocks to match wii speed. Then the gx2 chip (responsible for wiiu mode graphic side) shuts down. and the gx chip turns on. Quite literally the wiiu becomes a wii. Which means it also gets the wiis limations. Making it impossible to have any upscale. A emulator acts as a middle man of sorts. Which in other words isn't constrained entirely by hardware or the software it's running. (you still need a pc with a decent amount of power though as emulation also mimics the real hardware through software) and because of that middle man property it can upscale games through the emulators software.

Last edited by ,

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont own a Wii VC game from the Eshop, so I don't know the answer, but does that take advantage of the Wii U hardware, or is it just using the vWii chip?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

let me explain. The wiiu has two graphic chips. one has gx2 the other just gx. When it enters wii mode. the cpu underclocks to match wii speed. Then the gx2 chip (responsible for wiiu mode graphic side) shuts down. and the gx chip turns on. Quite literally the wiiu becomes a wii. Which means it also gets the wiis limations. Making it impossible to have any upscale. A emulator acts as a middle man of sorts. Which in other words isn't constrained entirely by hardware or the software it's running. (you still need a pc with a decent amount of power though as emulation also mimics the real hardware through software)
That makes me understand a lot now, thanks

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont own a Wii VC game from the Eshop, so I don't know the answer, but does that take advantage of the Wii U hardware, or is it just using the vWii chip?

vWii is used for GPU and CPU although with some changes to allow the Wii U gamepad to control games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

let me explain. The wiiu has two graphic chips. one has gx2 the other just gx. When it enters wii mode. the cpu underclocks to match wii speed. Then the gx2 chip (responsible for wiiu mode graphic side) shuts down. and the gx chip turns on. Quite literally the wiiu becomes a wii. Which means it also gets the wiis limations. Making it impossible to have any upscale. A emulator acts as a middle man of sorts. Which in other words isn't constrained entirely by hardware or the software it's running. (you still need a pc with a decent amount of power though as emulation also mimics the real hardware through software) and because of that middle man property it can upscale games through the emulators software.
Something like Nintendon't would shine here since the Wii U is similar to a Wii so extra CPU and GPU horsepower should be possible since the whole Wii console would not need to be emulated.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vWii is more akin to a compatibility layer, closer to a VM layer than emulation as far as I know, hence running he Wii U at the Wii clock speed. Not to mention that Wii, Wii U, and Gamecube all use the PPC architecture, making it easier. Dolphin is emulation, relying heavily on the CPU and the GPU to scale the graphics internally to higher resolutions. The Wii U would never be able to render games the same as Dolphin does, plain and simple.

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
It's possible to double vertical resolution for free. Swiss on GameCube has a 1080i hack.

grab000154.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end