Has the Nintendo 3DS been hacked?

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I was wondering...
Whenever we play a game, and our wireless is on, if its 3DS software, what would it display on the friendslist?
Would it possibly display the game we are currently playing (depending on if its a soft mod and we just drag drop and play software of the internal SD card almost like its been bought from the E-Shop)
Or would it all have to be played off a home-brew channel? In which case, it may display the "Couldn't acquire software title" thingy, or maybe it will even display "The home-brew channel".
Same goes for hen you street pass someone. What would your recently played title be?

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for the moment that the game the exploit is for is released, only to realize that it only works on the versions with the infamous "permanent savedata" issue. That would be so troll-ish. Everyone would have to follow the instructions EXTRA carefully. Also, imagine how many people would b**** about "so-and-so ruined my game cartridge, so they must buy me a new one."

In other words, inb4 exploit is for game with permanent savedata. Oh god, the horror......

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, I was wondering...
Whenever we play a game, and our wireless is on, if its 3DS software, what would it display on the friendslist?
Would it possibly display the game we are currently playing (depending on if its a soft mod and we just drag drop and play software of the internal SD card almost like its been bought from the E-Shop)
Or would it all have to be played off a home-brew channel? In which case, it may display the "Couldn't acquire software title" thingy, or maybe it will even display "The home-brew channel".
Same goes for hen you street pass someone. What would your recently played title be?
I suppose it all depends on how the Rom loader would work. I guess it would either display the software name or the loader name.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks fake tho. the 3d light is off so how do we know its not a ds homebrew? Its on the bottom screen so why dont they put it on the top left corner so we know its 3DS and not just DS homebrew ?

Also someone posted yesterday a picture of their 3ds on Colors 3d and they just typed 'hello world' and it looked completely real but its not...
i call fake

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a negative thread this has become. Shame. Also, someone please make a FAQ. I'm sick of this "derp derp the 3ds light isn't on111!" statement.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a negative thread this has become. Shame. Also, someone please make a FAQ. I'm sick of this "derp derp the 3ds light isn't on111!" statement.

Yes Master. :rolleyes:

Whoops, you said please. Thought you might have been one of those arrogant people who want others to do something on the internet just because it bothers you.

My apologies.

Reactions: Wizerzak

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes Master. :rolleyes:
Good minion gooood. *pets*

2dvigax.jpg

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If/When the 3DS gets hacked, I would LOVE to have an application/homebrew to stream to the tv. I know it defeats the purpose of the 3D screen, but Samurai Warriors hurts my eyes!!! I know there is the 3DS/3DS XL + Video Capture Kit, but that is anywhere from $400 to $600, and that isn't including shipping!!!

broitsak

Fight me.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I was wondering...

This is an interesting question. Imo, i think it will show the "Can't acquire software title".

loco365

Trophies
XP
This looks fake tho. the 3d light is off so how do we know its not a ds homebrew? Its on the bottom screen so why dont they put it on the top left corner so we know its 3DS and not just DS homebrew ?

Also someone posted yesterday a picture of their 3ds on Colors 3d and they just typed 'hello world' and it looked completely real but its not...
i call fake
May I refer you to this post, because even 3DS software doesn't always have the light on.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with how the 3DS not only allows for firmware updates but also updates to games, I can see this being fixed relatively easily for those who play online or use the eShop. That also means anyone who bought the retail games on the eShop and downloaded them will most likely need to buy the retail carts just to continue playing those games.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This hack works by patching the text displayed in an error, and then triggering an error. There's some function "errdisp" or something like that which is run when there is an error, and it turns off the 3D light and prints the relevant text to the screen (amongst other things, I'm sure). This hack patches the text it displays. The function hasn't been investigated enough to figure out where the 3D light gets turned off, or else yellows8 might be able to patch that part of the function or whatever so the light would stay on. As it is, that can't happen. So it's not by choice that the light is out, it's just a by-product of the method used.

Ahh right I guess, I haven't really done much reading into it. I'm always on the ps3/xbox scenes RGH/jailbreak is more me haha.
Thanks for the insight

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I refer you to this post, because even 3DS software doesn't always have the light on.
Okay well besides that it can still be easily faked. anyone can write a homebrew to say that and load it up on their flash card and say its real.
i think its just because a big reseller tweeted it that its getting so much attention, but if I were to do it and say it were real it would instantly be thrown down as fake.

Still calling this fake.

TheWon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no.

Do you hear that?

It's the sound of 100+ pages of arguing approaching.

Brace for impact!

(And, as for my personal opinion on the news, this is fantastic. The DS survived and flourished regardless of widespread flashcard use, and the 3DS will do the same. This is nothing but a good thing for the people who aren't buying games anyway.)

The 3DS is no where near in the same place as the DS. With despite it being hacked still had millions of people buying systems and games. The 3DS in west is maybe above PSP level when it comes to sells performance. Also you look at the software to see no one is buying the games on the system. So once this get hacked to play piracy games. Something we all know is coming sooner than later. The 3DS will turn into the PSP here in the states. Knowing Nintendo though I figured the do their update to brick hacked systems or maybe even remove the game from being played. As we seen with the Sony Linux law suit the government is not going to side against them. So the will take every necessary step to prevent this from becoming a wide spread issue. The hackers should have waited until they were ready release it. Now Nintendo is aware, and ready their counter attack.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for the moment that the game the exploit is for is released, only to realize that it only works on the versions with the infamous "permanent savedata" issue. That would be so troll-ish. Everyone would have to follow the instructions EXTRA carefully. Also, imagine how many people would b**** about "so-and-so ruined my game cartridge, so they must buy me a new one."

In other words, inb4 exploit is for game with permanent savedata. Oh god, the horror......

The savedongle says hi.

Reactions: pelago

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
The 3DS is no where near in the same place as the DS. With despite it being hacked still had millions of people buying systems and games. The 3DS in west is maybe above PSP level when it comes to sells performance. Also you look at the software to see no one is buying the games on the system. So once this get hacked to play piracy games. Something we all know is coming sooner than later. The 3DS will turn into the PSP here in the states. Knowing Nintendo though I figured the do their update to brick hacked systems or maybe even remove the game from being played. As we seen with the Sony Linux law suit the government is not going to side against them. So the will take every necessary step to prevent this from becoming a wide spread issue. The hackers should have waited until they were ready release it. Now Nintendo is aware, and ready their counter attack.

And to counter what exactly?
This is like taking a massively complex machine, and taking a picture of a problem, then telling someone else to fix it without telling them anything else. Barely anything has been said about this hack. Nintendo can only grasp at straws at this point. And when they do release it, they may or may not be ready, but you can't recall a game without suffering massive PR damage, you can only stop making them, or making them differently. The attack window is too large for Nintendo to cover. And Nintendo has nothing on us right now, they know as much as us for all intents and purposes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls