Has the Nintendo 3DS been hacked?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Dec 17, 2012.

1. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    If this hack really works out,
    the first thing I'm gonna do is play
    Super Mario World on 3DS.

ATMB likes this.
  2. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    N64? Really?
    I'm even in doubt if 3DS could emulate PS1

3. Gamer5501

Gamer5501 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    Yonkers, NY
    this is great news!! maybe I'll finally import the Kingdom Hearts 3DS and actually be able to play my US games on it :yaynds:

4. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Let it come, we can handle it :ninja:

5. Rizsparky

Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

Aug 13, 2007
    The Future
    lol'd at 'we' hacked it..You had nothing to do with it, are you taking credit for commenting on a photo?

6. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Wow! GBATemp is fantastic! We got a hot rumour about the first exploit, and the firsts hacking steps, and people are already downloading snes / N64 / PS1 roms. People are already discussing what will work and what will not work: "no, it cant emulate PS1, but the snes emulation is perfect".

Chill out everybody, it is just the first step. People should remember (or read more) about the first DS steps. When the first pass card arrives, we could do almost nothing. The first good GBA emulator for DS, for example, took many years to apper, and came with a lot of restrictions, the same goes for snes emulation on DS.

Things like this require tons of work hours, and many skilled people to do, so lets calm down, all we got now is an uncorfimed messege on the botton screen. This is far away from an emulator.

porkiewpyne and heartgold like this.
  7. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    It's not baby steps that has been happening like the info on 3Dbrew, but a good step forwards. I'm sure there's a ton to do and it's a good sign the 3DS scene community is having some success.

Anyhow my body (3DS) is ready. :P

We don't know the capabilities of the 3DS, until devs can program for this. My old phone which runs on a single ARM11 CPU can emulate PS1 games, the 3DS is running duo core ARM11's, who knows if the second core can be executed for gaming or just the system. Actually now I recall didn't they unlock 25% of the second core for future 3DS games last year.

8. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Anti Switch Owners

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    So where do I put the PS2 isos on my 3DS memory card? Do they need to be in the root or in the same folder as all my android APK's? Also how fast is the dreamcast emulator right now? I want to play shenmue on my 3DS on the bus later.

9. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    Antarctica
    The Forge
    Then again it may be that the exploit is sandboxed in the same way as the DSi enhanced/DSiWare hacks have been for the DSi. Also if the CPU is downclocked to save battery, raising it via hack could make the battery last a lot less than now and possibly cause heating problems.

But as always, I'll just sit back and wait for more confirmations. Usually something is confirmed quite quickly by different scene members if the hacks really work :)

10. Toni Plutonij

Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    Depths of Nuclear powerplant
    :S
    You need R4 to copy isos to SD card.......fuckin noobs..

Etheboss likes this.
  11. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Old skool member

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    The left side
    [​IMG]

12. lokomelo

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Two standard answers from kids around here skilled hackers

1 - "n00b read the fucking stickies"
    2- LGTFY

13. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    awesome news are commign! I'll buy another 3ds and my first one will be dedicated for homebrew!!

14. Kyouhei

Kyouhei is Purple a mood?

Aug 18, 2011
    United States
    Homebrew....Rrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggghhhttt.................

15. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    problem?

Even if it will be a simple hack like what we saw on DSi, it certainly might bring us some piece of homebrew.. and will require us to not update it for some time.

16. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I highly doubt the 3DS WiFi module supports promiscuous mode, without which BackTrack would be pretty much useless.
    Of course you would. Never mind the fact that the most advanced thing achieved by the people capable of creating such an exploit is a modified error message, and they haven't figured out how to make graphics to work. Obviously what they need is some ROM hacker who knows "IronPython". How have they not already given you the exploit? It's beyond me.

I can't seem to find any trace of such a tutorial on google, and I have never heard of any hacker group called "Team Rocket". This is also not really the sort of thing TT would take much interest in, and I doubt they made any such claims. Feel free to backup your accusations with evidence.

17. Gnargle

Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

Jul 29, 2008
    England
    I'm much less of a pirate nowadays, all I want to do is disable the region lock so I can import the English VA'd American version of Virtue's Last Reward.

18. godofwrath

godofwrath GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    One thing though, the 3DS light isn't on? I mean sure there's nothing on the top screen but wouldn't they at least enable that to show? idk I'm just always skeptical about these things.

19. 25200415

25200415 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2012
    Switzerland
    期待ique 3ds xl的hack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. lokomelo

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    "Look forward for the ique 3ds xl hack" he said. Man, avoid using other languages here. The standard is english, it is on the rules.