Has the Nintendo 3DS been hacked?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Dec 17, 2012.

1. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    I remember that Ozmodchips previously reported a DSi "Channels" Exploit, and yet nothing ever surfaced from that.

What's more is that although the 3DS top screen is fully light, software run in DS mode with a totally black image on the top-screen may simply appear to fill the whole top screen. This is because the black DS-aspect ratio image becomes indistinguishable from the black borders. You would need to see an image on both the top and bottom screens that is not just solid black to dismiss the possibilities that it is just an image viewed on 3DS Photo or an NDS homebrew application.

There is also the fact that the 3D light indicator is not lit, which is another possible indicator that this is an NDS homebrew, although many 3DS softwares also disable this 3D light as they lack a 3D mode (Pokémon Dream Radar, Cubic Ninja, Virtual Console software in upscaled mode)

So for the time being I remain a skeptic.

Another World likes this.
  2. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    I don't think this is a fake but I also don't think anything noteworthy will ever come out of this. And if I'm wrong I promise not to use this hack for piracy.

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I want backup loading the most. Because it's alot more convenient to have all by games play from a single cart, than to tote around a game case with all my DS games and look like a tool. My DS, PSP, and GBA all use some sort of memory card or flash cart, as you can see in my sig below. My 3DS now needs one for 3DS games.

4. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    Whilst I would certainly enjoy that, what I really want is for the 3DS system to be capable of emulating everything you would want it to.

It could easily do Megadrive and SNES titles, it has the processing power, ideal screen resolution and button layout to make it all work beautifully. I'm frankly annoyed that Nintendo themselves haven't snapped up this opportunity.

Rydian likes this.
  5. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I would prefer to be able to load 3DS roms from SD, drop them into the 3DS main menu, and load them there. Similar to the eShop bought games.

BAHIM Z 360, MegaBassBX and Javiryu like this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    That would be cool. I like that idea.

7. Walkin

Walkin travel

Mar 14, 2008
    United States
    I guess I need to make sure I do not update my 3DS.

8. Dr Pikachu

Dr Pikachu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2010
    United States
    I honestly can't wait until a 3ds version of dslinux. Backtrack on the 3ds anyone?

9. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    I'm mostly interested in unscaled NeoGeo, CPS2, PSX, and SNES emulation. Unfortunately if we want translation patches piracy will have to be possible as well.

10. Dr Pikachu

Newcomer
    May 30, 2010
    United States
    The specs are good enough to handle it maybe. It depends if the hack has the host specs or not. I imagine PSX would be difficult to reconfigure.

11. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    True that. Damn I wish for a Bravely Default translation patch right about now. XD

12. steve007

steve007 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Nottingham
    *Wag's His little Pup tail * , Can't wait !

13. PROTOBOY

PROTOBOY GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Canada
    :nds::nds::nds:AT LEAST!!:nds::nds::nds::nds::nds::nds::nds::nds::nds::nds:
    :gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun:
    Maybe now e can find emulator that really runs snes/gens and gameboy color emulators, due the better ran and cpu of 3ds, also we can expect the new .DPG videos with higher btitraTe and full windowed and high fps support,or .3PG, dpd version of 3d movies, or better of that, MAYBE MOONLIGHT CAN AT LEAST MAKE A NEW MOONSHELL WITH SUPPORT OF .AVI .MP4 AND .MKV VIDEOS :gun:

:gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun:

p1ngpong and Costello like this.
  14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Snes9x for 3DS? Yes please. But I don't have a 3DS anymore (sold mine due to visual impairment). Hopefully this is legit.

15. thaddius

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    I'm skeptical. If it is something to write home about though, I hope it's not a card. It'd be much better as a software thing like what's been done with the PSP as opposed to a Chinese cottage industry.

16. darksweet

darksweet 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE

Mar 15, 2009
    can we just wait for a fully detail hack before we say/ask what we want....

17. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    PSX actually works on the DS now though a DSTWO so the 3DS should be more than enough to handle it. If anything's on the edge it's N64 emulation, Majora's Mask, Smash 64, and Goldeneye on a 3DS would be awesome.

18. Gh0sti

Gh0sti iOS Guru

Aug 19, 2009
    United States
    Inside you, all around you
    well if it does get hacked i hoped to get it after theres like a flash cart or something

19. Dr Pikachu

Newcomer
    May 30, 2010
    United States
    Hopefully the graphics can be pushed to their limit. I would love to be able to play some PS2 games like Shadow of the Colossus or GC games like XD Gale but for 64, Pokemon Snap is where my heart goes.

20. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    It would be crazy if they could figure out not only how to emulate N64 games, but display them in 3D too

Of course that requires extra processing power that could easily go into making the emulation faster.