Has the 3DS already "jumped the shark" with 3D adventure titles?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by BORTZ, Jun 4, 2013.

1. BORTZ
    OP

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Hear me out, i know it sounds crazy but I think i have a point here.

The DS
    The DS started out as what gamers and devs thought was the "equivalent" (with a slightly less powerful ARM processor and small tubes for graphics) portable 2 screened N64. hence the "porting" of a few popular N64 titles that the GBA could never have handled. Super Mario 64 being the dead give away, and a few others, a Star Fox spinoff thing (but not the actual N64 version) and Diddy Kong Racing. When I saw SM64 on my DS, i had high hopes for game like that. Do you know what i mean by that? Like large open worlds with a manipulatable camera, like the N64 introduced. But soon after those games seemed to be too much of a hassle for devs, they seemed to peter out and eventually most games for the DS relied on a sprite system again. There were a FEW far and inbetween that took advantage of the DSs power, such as the Dragon Quest Monsters series and the pseudo 3D that the 4th gen of pokemon handled quite well... but nothing like a running, jumping, 3D adventure games like SM64 introduced.

The 3DS
    Again, nintendo released Ocarina of time and my hopes were renewed that the 3DS would be the system that would give us some adventure titles, like im looking for. Kid Icarus got really close, but (in my opinion) the controls were horrible when you were on the ground. Again just an opinion. But more than that, the next Zelda is going to be a top down, DKCR is sidescroller, etc...

Do you think we will see more titles like SM64? OoT? Banjo Kazooie?

I sure hope so.

Eerpow, Fuzzeh, gloweyjoey and 3 others like this.

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    wait till next week and, we will see

Mthb54 and xwatchmanx like this.
  3. MADKATZ99

MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2005
    AUS
    I feel the same way. Seeing an amazing open world 3D game like SM64 got my hope up that the system would eventually get other awesome style games, and maybe make new classics but only ever got 2D Mario's and Zelda's. They're fun too, but it's not quite the same. I always wondered, why not?? Are devs just lazy? Then I found out it wasn't quite as powerful as the 64 after all, but at the same time I would be happy with something even half as good as the graphics seen in SM64.

I sold my 3DS after I played OoT to death, I may buy another one in the future if more games come out that I'm interested in. Maybe they think these top down or side scroller games are easier to make and will make as much money :/

MarioFanatic64 likes this.
  4. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have no problem with the top down stuff, I would just like to see more open worldy stuff... Im pretty sure the 3DS is capable of it.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  5. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    I am enjoying rayman 3d. It is not a bad game like people say it is. That's the only 3d adventure game I know of that is not zelda or KI. Cannot wait for Jett rocket 2.

SLiV3R and GHANMI like this.
  6. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    Yeah I have to admit, when the 3DS gave us Ocarina Of Time I thought that this would pave the way for other games from the same era. I thought it would be a given really to rehash Mario64 in 3D. Banjo Kazooie and Tooie have seen Hd remakes on Xbox and surely they would fare quite well with a 3D makeover. Also other games like Conker, Donkey Kong 64, Majoras mask are all perfect fits for the system.

When you factor in as well that the system cannot be too far off the gamecube in terms of power you also have another shed load of games that would be perfect. Your metroid primes, StarFox Adventures, Mario Sunshine.

Surely none of these games would cost anywhere near the full development costs of a typical game to bring over (licencing fees maybe for some of the titles) yet none of them are appearing. It does seems strange, seeing as this is the perfect Nintendo handheld to be seeing things like this on

Ammako, MarioFanatic64 and Rydian like this.
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Conkers Bad Fur day.
    But that won't happen probably.

It already had a remake on the Xbox ;p

GamerzHell9137 likes this.
  8. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks RARE ._____.

Ammako, maniax300, 431unknown and 2 others like this.
  9. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    I agree with you Bortzy, the 3DS is doomed.

10. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Oh yeah, thats what i meant to say.

xwatchmanx, 431unknown and EZ-Megaman like this.
  11. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Yeah, I am completely fine with the side scrollers and overhead view games, but I always love the 3rd person adventure. I would love to see more of that too.

12. ashxu

ashxu GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2008
    Melbourne
    That new Lego open world game has large environments but the draw distance is pretty bad and it doesn't run at a good frame rate. Graphics wise it's good but the performance isn't up to scratch.

13. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    There´s Monster hunter,tales of the abyss,inazuma eleven go and kid icarus for good 3d, 3ds games.
    i guess the the ``open world´´ games will be just monster hunter,final fantasy and dragon quest .-.

14. 431unknown

431unknown Greatness Awaits

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    It still has a few years left in it and I'll save my final opinion till then.

Right now tho I think it has but the games can still be good.

15. BrightNeko

BrightNeko Popcorn ball

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Texas
    Its to early for it to have jumped the shark I think. Its only been 2 years, and we haven't seen very many adventure titles. Also I kinda came in thinking walking dead, sam and max, or trace memory type of adventure games >_> was hoping there was a game I missed or something

16. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    The LEGO game... is not even close to what im looking for at all.

Monster hunter... Actually does a pretty good job of the idea im trying to convey, but its not perfect. Kid Icarus is close, but its still pretty i dont know. Its not exactly what im talking about, but its pretty pretty close.

Uh... those are more like choose your own adventure book games.

17. tickle.my.pickle

tickle.my.pickle GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    how about dawn of mana for the ps2??
    uses havok system... and since there are some ps2 port its probabaly possible right??

18. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    I've lost faith in the Something of Mana games. Mystic Quest (or Final Fantasy Adventure, if you like), Secret of Mana and Secret of Mana 2 were awesome games, but after that the series really went downhill. A 3-player Secret of Mana remake for the 3DS would really be something, though!

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  19. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    I'm hoping for SSB and announcing it on 3DS and Wii U's release date.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Probably want a disclaimer that as far as I am concerned the 3ds is still playing at the shallow end of the pool and there are few compelling reasons to bother getting one.

Adventure games... given people were heavily criticising the DS for a lack of them (thankfully SCUMMVMDS got in there quick) I am going with no.