Has Sony been updating DS4 compatiblity on PS3 with new updates?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Nemix77, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Nemix77
    OP

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    As the titles says, I just want to use the DS4 exclusively for all my PS3 games (I still have a DS3 for Home Button); has the compatibility list been improved with newer system firmware updates since 4.60?

I just don't get how all PS3 games minus those that use motion controls don't work perfect with a DS4 on the PS3, it's just straight button re-mapping.

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Use a controllermax device for DS4 support including working home button.

3. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Not quite. The DS3 has pressure-sensitive face buttons, which Sony decided to replace with digital buttons for the DS4.
    I'm sure most of the incompatible games don't work for this reason (as in, they expect an analog input from the face buttons, which the DS4 is incapable of doing). Either that, or because the DS4 is recognized by the PS3 as a generic controller... I don't think the DS4 was ever supposed to be officially supported by the PS3.

Nemix77 likes this.
  4. Nemix77
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I just found this out on GameFAQS about the DS4's D-Pad being digital, thanks; I probably going to get a DS4 now mainly for PS3 fighting games my favorite D-Pad from Sony consoles has always been the PS1's D-Pad which were also digital.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    really? they downgraded the DS4 with digital buttons hoo... :(
    this is kite sad.. pressure buttons on the DS2 (and ds3 also got them) was one of the obscure\little known functions the controllers had.. when i accidentally found the buttons were pressure sensitive.. i was like getting a brand new console on chrismtass. i was so surprised... it was a small thing that make me think the quality of that controller was so damn high and why it was the best...

cearp likes this.
  6. Nemix77
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Just a few more questions for anyone using a DS4 on a PS3:

1. Does the DS4 take USB as higher priority after being synced wirelessly with the PS3 then plugged in via USB cable to be used as non wireless controller?

2. Can the DS4 charge while playing in USB mode on the PS3 using a powered USB hub connected to the PS3?

3. Is there any way to use the power saving features such as auto off and light dim/off for the DS4 on the PS3?