Has Pocket Pikachu (1 and/or 2) ever been emulated?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, so like the title says, i'm curious if those little handheld Pocket Pikachu toys were ever emulated. They seem very similar to the Pokemon Mini, which we have seen emulated for many years now. Though these were standalone devices, so I can see how maybe separating the game from the hardware to emulate might not be as straightforward as the MIni.

I suppose this isn't a 3DS exclusive question, I just think that it could be the perfect device to emulated those games, being able to use the accelerometer for the pedometer functions of those old devices. So that's why I posted here. It does seem like this has never been done, but I just wanted to check with the scene in case there was something that I might have missed at some point.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Quoted from another post I saw a while ago:

"It would be nice, but the primary difficulty will be dumping the ROMs in the first place. I don’t know about the Pokéwalker, but as best as I can tell, the Pocket Pikachus have their ROMs integrated into the CPU with no external interface available; the only way to dump them (barring some crazy exploitable bug that would allow dumping via the IR port??) would be to decapsulate the CPU with acid and find the ROM under a microscope. This is not impossible—many arcade and console ROMs have been dumped this way—but I’m not aware of any efforts to do so for the Pocket Pikachus.

The closest analogue that has been emulated is the Pokémon Mini. Its ROMs have been dumped and emulated. That situation differs from the Pocket Pikachus’ for two reasons: Pokémon Mini ROMs are kept on cartridges (meaning there’s already an interface to trivially dump the ROM from), and there’s a Pokémon Mini emulator embedded in the GameCube game Pokémon Channel, which I believe was reverse engineered to develop the existing free emulators.

That said, I know there’s been some work done in the Tamagotchi scene. Maybe some of that work would be similar to what’s needed for the Pocket Pikachus."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass