Has Nintendo gotten even more lazy with game titles?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 1,775
  • Replies 15
  • Likes 1
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Nintendo has always had the tradition of naming games after said consoles/handhelds but it seems like they've gotten somewhat worse now. Because, instead of putting "For Wii U", "For 3DS" or "Yoshi's New Island" they could just leave as is, or add a number to it.

Some pictures as examples:

Super Mario Maker For Nintendo 3DS
81kwWesww2L._SL1500_.jpg

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
91P6uY5U1dL._SL1500_.jpg

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
91NaCenHdgL._SL1500_.jpg

Yoshi's New Island
81quuH0k0yL._SL1500_.jpg

Super Mario 64
4IB4HdS.jpg

New Super Mario Bros. U
91ZNQgvXNnL._SL1500_.jpg

And so on. I know most don't care about the titles but the artwork that comes with each game looks great (normally) so it's a shame that the title kind of ruins it (even worse is if it has the German USK rating logo or the Australian one as they're a tad too big).

Here's hoping for a better Nintendo!

Reactions: Deleted User

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they slap the franchise name on it, they know people will come running. Why bother will a creative name?
Cause it shows they cactually care about the game instead of just being like. "super mario bros." but adding something else to it.

Yes they are lazy, since nintendo 64 been out and named everything with 64 at the end of it. :P
And yes chary, i will buy mostly anything with super mario on it. :D

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their titles are short, simple, to-the-point, but still relevant to the game. Nothing wrong with their titles.

Reactions: NEP

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
"Even more lazy" than what? Than they were previously? Than other publishers? I don't really think this is anything new or specific to Nintendo. There have been loads of games throughout the entire history of video games which have had numerically entitled sequels. I don't see what's wrong with that. It makes it clear to the purchaser what they are buying. And at least with naming them after the console (such as Mario 64, NSMBU etc) you know which console each successive version is for. I really don't understand the problem here. What would you prefer? Radically different names to the others in the sequence? How would that be helpful?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can come up with some "better" titles. :creep:

Super Mario Maker: Watered Down Local Play Only Edition!

Super Smash Bros. Showdown (DLC Code for Geno Outfit Inside!)

Super Smash Bros. Smackdown vs RAW 2k16 (DLC Code for MewTwo Inside!)

Yoshi's Big Feet Adventure

Super Mario Adventure 2: Battle

Super Mario Bros. Ultra Wii U Definitive Edition 2016 (Luigi DLC Inside!)

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause it shows they cactually care about the game instead of just being like. "super mario bros." but adding something else to it.

Yes they are lazy, since nintendo 64 been out and named everything with 64 at the end of it. :P
And yes chary, i will buy mostly anything with super mario on it. :D

On the SNES they added "Super" to everything; examples Super Mario, Super Metroid, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars etc.

They have always been kinda lazy with names but it has never really been a problem for me. The name tells me everything I need to know about the game.

dragon12

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm ok with numbered entries or names with the hardware reference on in (Super, 64, etc.). Is it lazy? It is but sometimes avoid some boring/cheesy names... Take Mario Kart for example, we have Super Circuit (boring, could simply be called Mario Kart Advance), then Double Dash (this one is cool though). Following this line of thought, there could be Mario Kart Peek-your-rivals-item, Mario Kart Tilt Revolution with bikes™, Mario Kart Transformed™, Mario Kart Upsidedown Madness, and so on... :rofl2:

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have you noticed the home screen top screen splash images for newer Nintendo games on 3DS? They are just flat images nowadays when older games used to have fun animations.

They aren't just more lazy with the titles.

Last edited by Exaltys,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
No because it's clearly personal opinion.
So "Super Smash Bros. For Wii U" is a better title than "Super Smash Bros. Melee"?

How on earth is calling a game "Yoshi's Island" (which has already been done) or even "Yoshi's Island 2" less lazy than calling a game "Yoshi's New Island"?
It's a sequel.

It's Nintendo, what do you expect?
You're right.

"Even more lazy" than what? Than they were previously? Than other publishers? I don't really think this is anything new or specific to Nintendo. There have been loads of games throughout the entire history of video games which have had numerically entitled sequels. I don't see what's wrong with that. It makes it clear to the purchaser what they are buying. And at least with naming them after the console (such as Mario 64, NSMBU etc) you know which console each successive version is for. I really don't understand the problem here. What would you prefer? Radically different names to the others in the sequence? How would that be helpful?
First naming games with "Super" and "64" but now with words such as "New", "For" and the console/handheld title. Nintendo games tend to be highly creative yet the titles lack so much.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the SNES they added "Super" to everything; examples Super Mario, Super Metroid, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars etc.

They have always been kinda lazy with names but it has never really been a problem for me. The name tells me everything I need to know about the game.
Not every game is worthy of the title. :creep:

latest

Look, i don't mean is a bad thing, is just not very what is the term i'm looking for?
Look at all th CFW for 3ds,
  • LUMA = Reference to super mario galaxy, Rosalina star thingy
  • Corbenik = .//Hack sign reference.
  • Cakes = Umm what?
  • Pasta = Ummm okay
  • Puma = This is a animal right?
  • Lima = Like a bean?
  • Gateway = Like gate way to 3DS homebrew? or.... piracy?
Am i missing something here?

What i said in spoiler is not to be taken offensively, they have made the stuff and is their right to do what they want and name it however they please. Same goes for anyone, is respected. But all i can ask is why?

Tell me why is the wii named wii, and the sucessor is WII U? :wtf:
Did anyone know what that was gonna be before the actually revealed it was a new console? I still don't get the name. Yes it is true perhaps titles like super mario is easy to understand and to the point. But they get l.azy and unecessary sometimes. A numbered order is just fine. (as long as the games are progressing in the order and not making prequeal or side story to fit in between)

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."