Gaming Has Nintendo began region-locking games on Switch too?!

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evidence: https://streamable.com/35tee

A couple of weeks ago after downloading the app niconico and the game Assassin's Creed Odyssey Cloud Version from the Japanese eShop and playing both of them, I found that I get an error message saying that I cannot open the software anymore. I thought it may be a bug caused by the Mario Tennis "Game Trial" I had downloaded through my NSO subscription, but after deleting the game the two apps still don't open. Has Nintendo quietly started region-locking their digital software or am I just stupid? My Switch is completely unhacked and clean.

Last edited by aykay55,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe you have to use the ID the game was purchased under to play it, Assassin Creed is cloud base, not what you normally installed to the system.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your switch hacked at all?
No, it's completely clean

Believe you have to use the ID the game was purchased under to play it, Assassin Creed is cloud base, not what you normally installed to the system.
I was able to load it before (even though I couldn't actually play the game)

Last edited by aykay55,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evidence: https://streamable.com/35tee

A couple of weeks ago after downloading the app niconico and the game Assassin's Creed Odyssey Cloud Version from the Japanese eShop and playing both of them, I found that I get an error message saying that I cannot open the software anymore. I thought it may be a bug caused by the Mario Tennis "Game Trial" I had downloaded through my NSO subscription, but after deleting the game the two apps still don't open. Has Nintendo quietly started region-locking their digital software or am I just stupid? My Switch is completely unhacked and clean.

In your dream and no, you are not stupid. You are simple noob that's all. :) Switch remain region free. No region locking at all.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you using your Japanese Nintendo ID?
So... have you tried the jp account and see if that works? I think that's what Deo and Hayato is trying to convey.

My Japanese account is able to open it, but none of my other accounts are.

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
What about niconico? That's not working either but had worked before. I set up a whole niconico account through my American user and now it's all locked out.

my assumption is the app needs to authenticate every day/week/month on the account that is tied to? once its authenticated, you can use on other accounts? (this is my speculation)

Last edited by xYuunax,

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my assumption is the app needs to authenticate every day/week/month on the account that is tied to? once its authenticated, you can use on other accounts? (this is my speculation)

not even a thank you.. lol

sorry thanks, I was waiting to see if it would work later on, which it does. I had originally logged out with my Japanese account because it was screwing with my News feed and for a short while after the apps continued to work. Weeks later, however, it no longer worked. But when I logged in with my Japanese account again, it took a long while before I was able to open the software with my American account. It appears Nintendo requires the account which downloaded a free title to still be present on the system in order to launch said title with another account. Bummer :cry:

Last edited by aykay55,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
It appears Nintendo requires the account which downloaded a free title to still be present on the system

Free titles are still account-linked like normal games. Deleting an account will render any games installed on that account inoperable due to lack of titlekeys. Without CFW, anyways. Why did you think you could do that?

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I bet you don't pirate game either