Hacking Has my wii u been modded/hacked?

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pull the plug as in power it off and turn it back on and everything is good still?
No as in litteraly pull the plug from the wii u but after a power on you will be fine

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also cbhc is cold boot hitachi that just saves you from pushing a button and it launches cfw by just loading the game instead of having to press a button

Ribbits

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No as in litteraly pull the plug from the wii u but after a power on you will be fine

also cbhc is cold boot hitachi that just saves you from pushing a button and it launches cfw by just loading the game instead of having to press a button
haha ok. I'll give it a shot as it sounds safe enough. My kids will probably disown me if I brick it haha.

edit - cbhc worth it then? And pushing a button what?

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha ok. I'll give it a shot as it sounds safe enough. My kids will probably disown me if I brick it haha.

edit - cbhc worth it then? And pushing a button what?
Cbhc for me is just a waste, and for me i use mocha but thats up to you
Mocha you have to rerun the browser exploit every time (i use indexiine to save me the pain of having to open the website every time) And hitachi needs a legit ds game so its up to you ( There is no exploit as of writing that boots automatically)

To launch hachi you have to hold a button to boot into cfw cbhc saves you from the pain of doing that

also I sometimes get this question so no, you wont get banned for just launching the exploit. You WILL GET BANNED IF YOU USE CFW, CHEATS, OR SOMETHING SIMILAR

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a coldboot exploit. It's great. If you're the only person who plays that wii u, I recommend it. You can only brick if you don't follow instructions.

Ribbits

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cbhc for me is just a waste, and for me i use mocha but thats up to you
Mocha you have to rerun the browser exploit every time (i use indexiine to save me the pain of having to open the website every time) And hitachi needs a legit ds game so its up to you ( There is no exploit as of writing that boots automatically)

To launch hachi you have to hold a button to boot into cfw cbhc saves you from the pain of doing that

also I sometimes get this question so no, you wont get banned for just launching the exploit. You WILL GET BANNED IF YOU USE CFW, CHEATS, OR SOMETHING SIMILAR
So trying the link you gave in the browser will allow me to install homebrew channel in the wii u menu and then be able to access some of this stuff from there?

also can you elaborate on "You WILL GET BANNED IF YOU USE CFW, CEHATS, OR SOMETHING SIMILAR?"

It's a coldboot exploit. It's great. If you're the only person who plays that wii u, I recommend it. You can only brick if you don't follow instructions.
I'm not the only one using the wii u, my kids do to.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I received a used wii u second hand. It came with an external hard drive with a number of wii u games in it. All playable.
I also noticed it had an SD card in it. The SD card has files for retro arch - which I don’t see anywhere on the wii u menu.

How do I tell if this has been modded or not? And if it has by which method?

I don’t see any sign - that I can identify and I don’t see any home brew channel.

thanks in advance for any insights.
No one else has answered your actual question yet, so let me:
Running installed pirated Wii U games actually does not require the console to be hacked. You need homebrew in order to install them (which is placed on the SD card and requires an exploit ran through the web browser, or a hacked DS game which is also installed through said web browser exploit) but once installed, they can be ran without any hacks at all. At least, that's the case for retail games. eShop games and DLC require CFW both to be installed and ran. For example, Zelda BotW could be played without any hacks at all once installed, but if you wanted the DLC without paying for it, you'd need to use CFW when installing, and launch CFW before playing it every time.
My guess is that the previous owner used the web exploit, or had Haxchi installed, installed all of those games, and before selling the console, simply removed Haxchi (if installed) or otherwise left the console the way it was, since without launching an exploit, the console is completely unmodified. In order to launch the homebrew on the SD card you'd need to use said web exploit.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has the following folders:
DCIM
private
retroarch
ROMS
wiiu

sorry for any double posting my bad!

Is it safe to go on the browser if it is already hacked?

So trying the link you gave in the browser will allow me to install homebrew channel in the wii u menu and then be able to access some of this stuff from there?

also can you elaborate on "You WILL GET BANNED IF YOU USE CFW, CEHATS, OR SOMETHING SIMILAR?"

I'm not the only one using the wii u, my kids do to.
The exploit only LAUNCHES the homebrew launcher, It doesn't install anything unless you tell it to with another porgram
My you will get banned statement basically means that if you cheat online you will get banned as well as enabling cfw and then going online is just asking to get banned something similar refers to using something like a save editor. As an example a way to get banned is to mod a game's save like splatoon to get level 20 weapons when your level 1. Another thing that I meant would be a mod of sorts

Ribbits

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No one else has answered your actual question yet, so let me:
Running installed pirated Wii U games actually does not require the console to be hacked. You need homebrew in order to install them (which is placed on the SD card and requires an exploit ran through the web browser, or a hacked DS game which is also installed through said web browser exploit) but once installed, they can be ran without any hacks at all. At least, that's the case for retail games. eShop games and DLC require CFW both to be installed and ran. For example, Zelda BotW could be played without any hacks at all once installed, but if you wanted the DLC without paying for it, you'd need to use CFW when installing, and launch CFW before playing it every time.
My guess is that the previous owner used the web exploit, or had Haxchi installed, installed all of those games, and before selling the console, simply removed Haxchi (if installed) or otherwise left the console the way it was, since without launching an exploit, the console is completely unmodified. In order to launch the homebrew on the SD card you'd need to use said web exploit.
Thanks. This is all slowly starting to make sense.
I know that CFW stands for custom firmware. Is that just a general statement/term or are there multiple options for 'brand' or existent custom firmwares - I hope that makes sense.

The exploit only LAUNCHES the homebrew launcher, It doesn't install anything unless you tell it to with another porgram
My you will get banned statement basically means that if you cheat online you will get banned as well as enabling cfw and then going online is just asking to get banned something similar refers to using something like a save editor. As an example a way to get banned is to mod a game's save like splatoon to get level 20 weapons when your level 1. Another thing that I meant would be a mod of sorts
You said, 'unless you tell it to with another program' what would that be - a cfw or a different program all together?

Clarifying your comment on banning further - basically it's only a risk of you do those things and then play online?

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. This is all slowly starting to make sense.
I know that CFW stands for custom firmware. Is that just a general statement/term or are there multiple options for 'brand' or existent custom firmwares - I hope that makes sense.

You said, 'unless you tell it to with another program' what would that be - a cfw or a different program all together?

Clarifying your comment on banning further - basically it's only a risk of you do those things and then play online?
That would be a homebrew app called wupinstallergx2 and its just a risk but a VERY high one

Ribbits

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I just tried running the browser exploit.

Generated the following error:
FSOpenFile failed. File missing /vol/external101/wiiu/payload.elf

also when I opened the browser there was a bookmark on the side for a loadline gateway or something. I seem to recall hearing Loadline here already or in other reading about this stuff.

That would be a homebrew app called wupinstallergx2 and its just a risk but a VERY high one
wupinstallergx2 is for what exactly? and to clarify - high risk to brick?

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

also when I opened the browser there was a bookmark on the side for a loadline gateway or something. I seem to recall hearing Loadline here already or in other reading about this stuff.
Yep, then its missing the hbl's files. If you want, you can get the files back and make sure

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

wupinstallergx2 is for what exactly? and to clarify - high risk to brick?
Wupinstallergx2 is for installing updates,dlc,games, and custom apps
By risk I mean to say that doing any of those things will get you banned.
On a different note, there is a brick risk when using wupinstaller so be careful

Ribbits

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wupinstallergx2 is for installing updates,dlc,games, and custom apps
By risk I mean to say that doing any of those things will get you banned.
On a different note, there is a brick risk when using wupinstaller so be careful

I assume I can find the hbl files in a walkthrough for such things?
I've been saying brick and you've been saying banned and realizing we've been meaning different things. So when you say banned, banned from from where or what exactly?

The brick risk with WUPinstaller is if you do it incorrectly, or at any random time?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Proably not brick. Games don't install to the partition of system software aside from the ticket which is innocuous and fixable.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume I can find the hbl files in a walkthrough for such things?
I've been saying brick and you've been saying banned and realizing we've been meaning different things. So when you say banned, banned from from where or what exactly?

The brick risk with WUPinstaller is if you do it incorrectly, or at any random time?
for a guide I recommend cfw.guide
Banned as in you cant play online and I think access the eshop but the browser should be fine.
You can brick the wii u by installing random apps so its best to make sure that what your downloading is safe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.