Has Kingdom Hearts III the worst story of them all?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by Bimmel, Feb 23, 2019.

?
  1. There were absolutely no plotholes and it was totally worth the wait! (very satisfied)

17.1%
  2. It was great, but not as good as I imagined (satisfied)

20.0%
  3. It was okay, nothing special but not bad either (neutral answer)

14.3%
  4. The writing was far to cringy and there were too many plotholes (not satisfied)

22.9%
  5. I've never seen so many asspulls in one game. What a clusterfuck of excuses! (very unsatisfied)

14.3%
  6. I love everything that is named Kingdom Hearts and never questioned anything that happened (TrueFan)

11.4%
  1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I never cared for Kingdom Hearts' story line, it's way too convoluted anyway

CallmeBerto likes this.
  2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I only play the games for fan service and gameplay. Though I find it hard to follow the plot cause it seem like story telling similar to metal gear where it relies on continuous games to tell a bigger story making the last story pointless in the long run. :ninja:

Kingdom Hearts III is lacking in fan service :blink:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Mar 8, 2019
  3. Gobbadygook

Gobbadygook Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2019
    United States
    I agree 100% with this. The reunion between Ven and Aqua just felt so underwhelming. I expected this huge crying fit like when Roxas, Axel, and Xion got back together. I didn't feel that much of an emotional impact other than, "Oh, cool. Ventus is back." On top of that, It was kinda a wasted opportunity to not have Roxas and Ventus interact with each other before the big fight. They could've even helped better establish how their personalities differ from each other to separate them more(Since they look exactly the same and everything).

4. Ericzander

Ericzander ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pip Contributor
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    I played every KH game and did enjoy KH3. However, I realize that it was never going to live up to the hype and I was still disappointed in a few areas.

Here's the biggest issue, the game tried to appeal to hardcore fans who followed every game in the series AND those who only played KH1 and 2. As a result it had to dumb down a lot of important elements from the other games that all us superfans were waiting for, yet they didn't dumb it down enough for people who only played 1 and 2 to have a grasp on what was going on. The result? It was disappointing to fans who played all the games to see their favorite characters reduced to paper maché copies of who they really are--as well as super confusing to those who only played 1 and 2.

I still had a blast, but I wish the characters had more time to develop.

5. Bimmel
    OP

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The

Perfect summary in my opinion.

6. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    He says he understands everything from the story despite not knowing a thing about union x. Well he is some random dude then like he claims he isn't. But nonetheless as a big KH fan myself and knowing also everything story wise it was the least good game in the entire series so with that i can agree. The game was made in mind to attract newer players instead of pleasing their loyal fans. It wasn't a game made for fans but an entry game for people who never played the game. That's the biggest fault with KH3 that it was catered for new players.

Last edited by kumikochan, Apr 7, 2019
  7. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    first one pld and i didnt hav a fkin clue who was who so didnt like the story part but the combat was good and goofy and donald pointless comments were annoying :lol:

8. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It is hard to tell when you are comparing nonsense to nonsense.
    I guess... it's still nonsense?

9. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    The story is so convoluted and ridiculous. I skip most of it. And the dialogue is so awkward and not natural. It’s like made by a bunch of socially awkward people.

10. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    It's not, people who didn't play all the games always say that. Play all the fucking games please because it is clearly not. If it was convoluted i couldn't answer any question so try me and ask me anything proving to you that it isn't ;)

Ericzander likes this.
  11. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    I played BBS, Kingdom Hearts 1+2, Dream Drop distance. Currently playing through 3 right now.

It is convoluted, it’s not written in simple English, you have to play other games just to get an idea, it’s not easy to follow.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    That's how a game series work. Or a series at all. So you want to watch like a show on netflix and expect to know everything after a few episodes? Or read like eum Harry potter and just by reading a few you expect to know everything ? What nonsense is that ? It's not convoluted. That's how a series works, you have to play or see it all to know what the fuck is going on. You played like 3-4 games and expect to know the story ? That's cute

Last edited by kumikochan, Apr 7, 2019
    Ericzander likes this.
  13. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    There are shows easier to follow even when I jump in the middle of them then Kingdom Hearts.

14. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I'll give you one the best shows ever created with one of the best stories ever and that is the new 12 monkeys show. Pretty sure you won't understand a single thing when jumping right in to the middle. The OA also has a great story and you won't understand a single thing with that show either. So nah still not a valid point for me. It would be convoluted if you played through the whole thing and you would still have your head scratching but that's not the case with KH. Play EVERY single game and then tell me if you still are scratching your head. Because you haven't even played everything so your point that it is convoluted is invalid. It can only be convoluted if you played through everything experiencing the entire story and still have your head scratching and i assure you, you won't if you played through everything.

15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Just be sure to skip RE: Coded

16. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well you can basically skip that and just watch the ending. That i can agree with but that's like the only game you can skip storywise. The rest plays a major part in the story

17. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I also don't like the fact it started out as a Final Fantasy x Disney crossover but then became way more Disney than I like at the end.

18. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Yeah Kingdom hearts 3 had zero FF characters in it wich is a bummer

19. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I hate to be that guy, but I was never really a Disney fan to begin with, like, at all. Pixar for the most part I enjoyed but outside of that, ehh.

20. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I don't like Disney myself. They're fucking up a lot of shows because they're buying everything and their constant political correctness and their movies were basically musicals instead of movies. So i know exactly what you mean