Has Gateway's emuNAND formater been fully reversed?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by 3xkrazy, Jul 12, 2015.

1. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    I am assuming Gateway's SD structure is now the de facto stantard for all future emuNAND projects.

Sector 0 : MBR
    Sector 1 : EmuNAND starting at Sector 1 too
    Sector x : End of EmuNAND
    Sector x+1 : EmuNAND sector 0
    Sector 200000 : Start of FAT32 partition
    (Posted by Cyan)

I was wondering if anyone knows the dd commands to initialize the mbr, nand, and fat partitons on a virgin SD card. That way we can create our own emunand without the use of Gateway's launcher, and inect our real nand or emuNAND into the hidden partiton.

Keeping in mind that the nands for Old/New Toshiba/Samsung 3DS have different sizes, and:
    Is it even possible to setup an EMUNAND without Gateway's tools?

2. WhoAmI?

WhoAmI? PASTA's dirty animal

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    I believe PASTA, has one already implemented.

OctopusRift likes this.
  3. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    I think the one in PASTA was a placeholder and incomplete. Bumping this thread now that ReiNAND CFW w/ n3DS emunand support is in beta, and rxTools w/ pasta is soon to come. Smealum will most likely release his Ninjhax 2.0 with limited CFW support and take the old one that we've been using offline.

@AlbertoSONIC What are your thoughts on this. Will rxTools be supporting a native emunand formater later down the road?

AlbertoSONIC likes this.
  4. JPnintendo

JPnintendo GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2009
    Argentina
    I was wondering why there is not a PC tool for the Red/emunand creation, I see... It is a Little more complex than I tougth.

5. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    It's perfectly possible to make one, I suspect nobody has bothered because the gateway launcher works fine.

6. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    True, but since CN can only hold 1 save at any given moment, N3DS users will need to delete Gateway's exploit, and re-initiate the Smealum's ninjhax exploit. Assuming that ninjhax2.0 will remove the ability to load CFW when released and the old version removed from his webpage, N3DS CN users will be screwed. The only option would be to downgrade MSET and use the profile exploit, but that requires a DS flash cart. That's why I'm bringing up this concern and worst case scenario for N3DS users who wish to stick to a CN-only setup.

7. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
  8. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    The format seems pretty simple, though personally I don't like it. It's very hacky.

As for the commands, as long as you don't care about data on the card, just erase the first ~1GB, then write to the MBR so that the first partition is pushed back as much.

9. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Just looking at Cyan's post, the gateway format should look something like this?

MBR:realNAND:MBR:FAT32

Can anyone help me modify the commands below (from the wiki) to reflect the above?

Old 3DS Samsung NAND:

dd if=dummy.bin of=sd_tmp.bin count=1
    dd if=nand.bin of=sd_tmp.bin skip=1 seek=1
    dd if=nand.bin of=sd_tmp.bin count=1 seek=1953792
    dd if=sd_tmp.bin of=/dev/sdX bs=8M
    rm sd_tmp.bin

@Vappy I haven't fully looked through the KARL/SALT thread, but have the devs fully documented/opensourced their improved emunand format? I just hope the current CFW teams will can be create a new standard format while keeping GW emunand compatible.

10. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    IIRC there should only be 1 MBR per device.

And I think the wiki already has values for all NAND types.

11. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    It'd be nice to see the n3ds's emunand size standardized to the usable region of 1240 MBs, and not 1888 MBs, which is the simply the full size of the larger nand chip brand. It isn't necessary to use that entire extra space.