Has anyone used a 400GB Micro SD for the 3ds before? would it work?

Discussion in 'Online Stores and Purchases' started by Chrisssj2, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Titanica

Titanica As insane as a Seventh Grader!!!!:!!1244135

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    Earth
    Ah, I didn't know that.

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  2. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Remove the battery.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    It's all good. You and a lot of others learn something new. Thanks for reading. :)

Titanica likes this.
  3. Gnarmagon

Gnarmagon Noob <3

Dec 12, 2016
    Germany
    The 3ds already has problems using 128gb micro sd cards with fat32 (my 3ds was no longer able to load themes on bootup and it had some weired gray tiles on the homescreen)

4. BORTZ

BORTZ Tired of being the good guy

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that you might have more problems finding a legit 400GB SD card for a price you are willing to pay. And on the same topic, what happens when a single file corrupts itself? I have had it happen at least 3 or 4 times in my 3DS hacking lifetime.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Switch has official SDXC support, so there's no reason why any SDXC card wouldn't work.
    I think that might be related to 64KB cluster size. Lots of people are using 128GB cards with no trouble.

6. TurdPooCharger

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Do you know for sure your 128 GB SD card is authentic? There are a lot of fake sd cards out there that look like the real thing. Whenever buying flash memory, it's always a good practice to verify the card is real using h2testw (do full write + verify on an empty card). I don't know why, but a lot of users I've come across who end up finding out their cards are actually fake are very adamant in the first place about double checking if they're legit or not.

In case your card is real (Absolutely, Positively Sure):

For the themes issue, you're not alone on this for cards this big. Check these threads out when you start hitting 128 GB and more. It's possible to run into issues with the cluster allocation size of 32 KB, which works perfectly fine for cards that are 64 GB and smaller. You might have to bump it up to 64 KB, but this can introduce incompatible with AGB_FIRM (GBA VC) and nds-bootstrap (TWLoader).

Custom Themes Don't Load Automatically After SD Mod
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-themes-dont-load-automatically-after-sd-mod.494062/

Theme resets after power off
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/theme-resets-after-power-off.487614/

Anyone successfully use a 256gb micro? (Tldr post)
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/anyone-successfully-use-a-256gb-micro-tldr-post.494087/

Do 256gb cards even work on 3ds?
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/do-256gb-cards-even-work-on-3ds.469117/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It depends on the file that gets corrupted. If it's a save file from a game during power interruption from dying battery or hangup, it's possible to make the card unreadable by the 3DS (this can happen on any card of any size). The best case scenario is that you hope that a data recovery software and desktop can retrieve most of files if they're still intact, grab a copy of everything you can, reformat the card as blank, and copy paste everything back on.

accidental micro sd format.need help
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/accidental-micro-sd-format-need-help.494833/

You do bring up a good point about putting all your eggs in one basket. That is one of the biggest risks in having everything on a single card should it become corrupt, stolen, etc. Another good practice is to make backups of your save files whenever you can should something bad ever happen to the card.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, May 1, 2018
  7. deSSy2724

deSSy2724 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    Germany
    Not true, im using both an 128 microsd and 256 and never had problems, plenty of .cias installed and I had no problem with loading times, themes etc.

Last edited by deSSy2724, May 1, 2018 - Reason: dumb :S..... I meant to say 128 and 256 instead of 256 and 512
  8. face235

face235 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Beyond the 4th Wall
    Wow, I actually had no idea that 512GB microSDCards even existed. Cool!

9. TurdPooCharger

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Yah, only one UK-based company is selling 512GB in micro SDXC. Other flash memory manufacturers like Samsung and SanDisk will be following suit later this year.

There's even a 1TB SDXC showcased in 2016. The technology exists, but the market for cards this big is very niche. Can't sell 512GB/1TB if it's not cheap enough > the customer base not large enough.

10. face235

face235 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Beyond the 4th Wall
    :blink:
    Wow, mind blown. A full terabyte in the palm of my hand. Never thought it possible.

Traace likes this.
  11. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    Regaurdless of how big of a microSDXC you buy, your still limited to 300 games per N/2/3/DS XL/LL (this is a limit built into the FW, nintendo came up with that number since launch), so far even the CFWs haven't bypass this limit. A 256GB or even the sandisk 200GB will likely meet your needs, especially if you plan to download alot of VC titles.

As for using a 400GB microSDXC, it is possible to use, as @TurdPooCharger has pointed out FAT32 can supports upto 2TB. Basically anything under the sun that is below 2TB and is in a microSDXC form can be used, as long as you format it FAT32 for use with your N/2/3DS XL/LL.

12. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I thought 256GB was the biggest you could get

13. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
  14. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    OP should wait for 2TB card to put in his 3DS tbh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice