Has anyone truely found a WoW replacement?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by KarmaUK, Oct 25, 2007.

Oct 25, 2007
  1. KarmaUK
    OP

Member KarmaUK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I stop playing about 4months ago after getting my lock to full Tier 4 and most the PvP gear. I was just sick of grinding and after the word got out about the Lich King, decided to give up completely in fear of even more grinding. I know that Conan and WAR are in the near future, but I long for the immersion I only found in World of Warcraft.

So has anyone ever found a game that lived upto the first few months of WoW before the grind became apparent? :'(

By the way, I'm not sure the topic belongs here, but it isn't really another console which is maybe the only other appropriate section.

2. Foie

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    I haven't played WoW, but I can tell you, Phantasy Star Online is amazing [​IMG]

3. osirisFIVE

Member osirisFIVE GBAtemp Fan

Singapore
    I don't think anything beats WoW.

I played it for a week and it was the most addictive, most immersive RPG I've ever played in my life, honestly.

I knew it and I got out before it ate me.
    Sorry I can't answer your question.

4. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    When I stopped playing WoW I decided to look for another MMORPG. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that comes even close in my mind.

I have rid myself of the urges to play WoW, however, with more console/handheld games and a few PC games (eg. Orange Box). Between my PS2, PSP, DS, and Wii. I have more new games to play (some old ones are new to me, such as God of War) than I can keep up with. This has made me finally forget about WoW.

5. sirAnger

Member sirAnger GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I rather enjoy Final Fantasy Online.

6. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    hey everybody! my name is Josh (hi Josh)
    It has been been 5 months since I played WoW.....
    it would be called MMORPGAPA
    the 12 step program
    1. admit that you are powerless over WoW—that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2. Come to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    3. Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of admin as we understand it.
    4. Make a searching and fearless potion inventory of ourselves.
    5. Admit to the admin, to ourselves, and to another human, ork or elf, being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6. Be entirely ready to have admin remove all these defects of the character (including buffs).
    7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings (and warnings).
    8. Make a list of all persons we had harmed and/or trolled, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9. Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    10. Continue to take personal inventory and equip "sword of magical power mana".
    11. Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with the admin as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, trying to carry this message to the "world of warcracks", and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

7. warbird

Member warbird GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I hated every second of WoW, but still I played it for months on end. Piece of shit addicting game for no obvious reason. I still wonder why I played it so much.

8. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    My favorite is Ragnarok Online but if sprites and colorful maps don't appeal to you try Lineage 2.

9. j5c077

Member j5c077 dood

United States
    replacement for wow? i never found a replacement for ffxi.

i tried wow and i absolutely hated it.

i have been playing ffxi on and off for about 4 years and i still love it. ffxi > wow in a million ways.

10. Seccom Masada

Member Seccom Masada GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    The only way I could ever play WoW or any MMORPG is on a private server with immortality, access to all items and the ability to run at 100mph, so I can get the whole experience over with and out of my system in as little time as possible. I'd really like to play FFXI, but I don't think I could stand it.

Have you tried City of Heroes/Villains? I heard that was decent if you feel like giving it a shot.

11. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Final Fantasy XI Online:
    I tried this during my search for a good WoW replacement. Even paid the $40 or whatever it was for the game+all expansions and spent 5 hours installing everything. But I ended up not liking it. Even on the PC, the controls were designed like the PS2 version. I found it easier to play with my PS2-like gamepad, but still didn't like other things about the game. The towns and dungeons seemed so bland and lacking any life. I couldn't hardly figure out where to go for my quests.

Ragnarok Online:
    I used to play this on private servers. Then even ran a server myself with some friends that got fairly large. I used to love it. I tried it again after WoW and it just made me want WoW again.

12. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I played Star Wars Galaxies ages back. Was nice but maybe only cause I'm a Star Wars fan. After I quit I heard they totally revamped the game and half the people quit to play WoW so unsure how Galaxies would be at this time... If a Star Wars fan maybe worth at least checing out. [​IMG]

13. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    A good replacement for WoW would be, LIFE.

I tried that game once and I was not satisfied at all, you have to walk like hours to get somewhere. It's just so time consuming and I have other priorities.

Q~

14. KarmaUK
    OP

Member KarmaUK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Whilst the official figures indicate around 30% of subscribers are addicts, that leaves 70% that actually have real lifes too, fortunately I'm one of the latter. So can wise asses stop judging people by their our standards. [​IMG]

15. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada
    I haven't found any MMO worthy of being Ultima Online's successor.

God damn, game that came more than 10 years ago and has triple the features of current-day MMOs....

16. warbird

Member warbird GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I sooo second that sentiment. It was my first mmorpg, and it totally owned anything yet to be released. I think OSI messed it up with blackthorns revenge tho. newlands was fun, but after that, it went downhill. Private servers like Dawn of Britannia was awesome though. The PvP in UO owned too.

17. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Maplestory.

LOL.

18. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    MMORPGs are trash.

INSTEAD OF PLAYING A GAME WITH PLOT AND FUN TIMES, I WILL JUST GRIND FOREVER.

19. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Never played WoW, but I'm pretty sure that sex is a good replacement for any addiction.

20. gigermunit

Member gigermunit GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you like diablo or diablo2 try playing mythos when it comes out