Has anyone tried to swap 2DS' Analogue Stick for a Proper stick?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiCube_2013, Nov 19, 2013.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If there's any who've tried to swap 2DS' analogue stick for a real analogue stick that you can find on the home consoles, is it possible to do or not worth the risk?

The analogue stick is fine but I could definitely make better use of a proper one.

Xbox 360 stick on it would be great but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet.

2. ipwndeveloper

ipwndeveloper GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    San Fransisco, CA
    You could try, but it would be messy, you could try to craft your own if you have access to a 3d printer. This would require almost exact measurements.
    I wish you the best of luck with your endevour, and If you do continue with this project, don't forget to submit pictures!

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Not sure how far you're willing to go, but the reverse has been done, people have replaced an analog stick with a slider pad on an N64 controller, so I assume the other way around is also possible, but it's a relatively large mod and I don't think it's worth the risk.

EDIT: According to this wiring diagram, the reverse thingy can also be (or has been) done with a Gamecube analog stick. Modretro forums are down at the moment so I can't find any details.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's certainly possible. There's a japanese page with instructions on how to make a custom external gamepad for the 3DS XL, all buttons included. As long as the correct solder points on the 2DS can be found, it should be as simple as soldering an analog stick up to the correct solder points, removing the slider entirely and gluing/taping/whichever you want the stick in its place.

It should actually be easier to use something else than a N64 stick, that uses a rotary encoder which is no longer commonly used for analog sticks. so you need an small microcontroller to convert the signals.

5. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    True, I hadn't thought of that. Using an analog stick that uses resistors would be simpler.