Has anyone tried bash on win 10 14316 yet?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Yil, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Perhaps someday I would no longer need extra space for dual-booting.

2. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I mean, you can use bash scripts, make/cmake/compilers, and basic command line tools, and the basics are included. Technically you can install just about anything in the Ubuntu repositories, although even simple command-line applications (pianobar, etc) couldn't get audio access; I'm guessing that anything that needs a display or X server is right out of the question. Given that it can't launch or build Windows executables, it's limited in scope, and you can't even properly test any sort of graphical applications you build anyways.

Short version is it depends on what you need to do, but in most cases I'd still recommend just doing it in Linux.

3. gungunra

gungunra Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2016
    United States
    You can install anything you want as Ubuntu But...
    You can't run unity, gnome, mate, kde, xfce, lxde even you're already installed.
    You can't run any GUI softwares yet than CLI programs.

Last edited by gungunra, Apr 21, 2016
  4. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    At least you have access to basic stuff. Win 10 has most apps covered, though not in store.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It seems like a neat experiment to me, but not too useful. You can already get most of the common linux tools using MSys and Cygwin and a VirtualBox VM in seamless mode does pretty well for the things that require a X server (which wouldn't work in Ubuntu on Windows anyway)

6. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Better to be in the package though. They are talking about the including the entire os.