Has anyone received one of those "refurbished" DSs from Chin

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by DarkMario616, Feb 28, 2010.

1. DarkMario616
    OP

Member DarkMario616 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    On Ebay [or even Deal Extreme], some sell DS Lites or what not advertised as brand new, but in reality it's just refurbished in a brand new shell that does NOT have the Nintendo Seal of Approval, and is not officlal.

Has anyone acquired one of these? And would they mind commenting on the buttons/d-pad/ how it plays etc.?

My DS has a hinge broken, and has had it for a loooong time now, and in the future I "may" acquire one of these refurbished ones because of the special colors.

How can I tell if it's just the plastic cracked or if it's the actual hinge? I know on one side it's just the plastic, but the other, the plastic came a bit off, and the DS lid is very "floppy", it doesn't stay open in any position.

Bad quality due to webcam but here's the "broken off plastic hinge"...http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/138/dshinge.png The DS is fully in tact and it's not like it's fallen apart, just loose.

2. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    If your DS is working fine you could always get a case replacement for them. There's loads for DSL of all the different designs (including the limited edition ones) and there's a good few for the old DSes too, I myself have a nice Matte Black case for my 5 year old DS

3. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    Yah, but I'm terrible with electronics.

I replaced my faceplate for my old PSP just fine.

I replaced a shell for my Wii, but I think I "shocked" the disc drive as it wouldn't work...so that went down the drain >_>.

Now I'm weary about my NDS...it's fine, but I just hate opening it and having it just be very loose. I rather just keep it/sell in the future and buy a new one...but anybody with no experience and did replace their shell...able to comment?

4. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    if your willing to pay a bit extra you could probably get someone local to do it for you

5. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    Yah...no I'm just OCD like that, not worth explaining but nobody is able to touch my things...and electronics.

6. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    Me and my dad had very little experience when we replaced the cases on my and my sister's DSes (Phat and Lite respectively). We've replaced computer parts but never messed about with a console before. Luckily the DS's contruction is quite simple, there is 1 large main board and 2 or 3 cables you have to remove (depending on whether you have a Lite or a Phat) which are a ribbon cable feeding the top screen and the wi-fi antenna cable (and mic cable if you have a Lite)
    The trickiest bits were feeding the ribbon cable back through the hinge and reconnecting it with the mainboard, both fiddly to the extreme (the DSlite's hinge design made it slightly more fiddly than my fate)

http://www.maxconsole.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81938
    That's the guide I used for my Phat, unfortunately most of the pictures have dissappeared. For the DSlite (you've never really specified which DS you have) you can find a guide if you search "Shock DS cases"

My best advice is to be careful, make sure you know where all the screws go and have them arranged accordingly on a piece of paper somewhere and just be careful you don't zap anything

7. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    With the whole zapping thing, how do you "ground" oneself so that doesn't happen? I want to make sure I don't screw up like my Wii.

You make it sound really easy, the guide makes it look more complicated (the guide on this site with like 30+ pictures).

Still unsure of what to do.

Do the housings come with that tri-wing screwdriver or I have to buy that seperate?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13868

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14159

Going for one of these if anything...might mix and match the white bottom of my current DSL.

8. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    You have to buy the tri-wing yourself I'm afraid and there are 2 ways of grounding yourself:-
    1. Buy an Anti-Static Wristband - Most static-proof method but not required
    2. Touch the exposed metal on a radiator pipe before touching the circuit boards.

When you get down to DS Disassembly most of the steps are taking out screws, the guides on GBATemp (which I assume you're looking at) are for more complicated things like touch screen replacement which require a lot more ribbon cable removing. The 2 tricky parts I outlined above are quite fiddly. The ribbon cable is secured by a very tiny latch which need to be lifted up and put down with a small flathead screwdriver when the cable is fully in (which takes time...) The Ribbon Cable also needs to be twisted through the DSlite hinge through a metal ring which can take a bit of time to get right. There's also 2 cables for the mic and Wi-Fi antenna that need to go under the DS cartridge slot.

Just take your time, my DSes took me and my Dad an afternoon each and we got 2 working DSes in nice, shiny new cases out of it. You might need a file to shave a few parts if they are ill-formed though, but if you get a decent case this should be at a minimum

9. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    Alright, so I need a flat-head, a filer for the "ill-formed" parts, and the tri-wing screwdriver, as well as the housing.

Oh and the anti-static wristband because I have no idea where a radiator pipe is...>_>

I guess I'll try this, got to order this one day.

10. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    Around about the thermostat for controlling the temperature at that heater there should be a nice piece of exposed copper piping there for you (but I'm working off british conventions)

I assumed you already had a set of small screwdrivers, here's a list of tools you'll need:-
    - Tri-Wing (for casing)
    - Small Cross-Head Phillips Screwdriver (for motherboard)
    - Small Flat Head/tweezers (for ribbon cable and mic/antenna wire removal)
    - File in case of parts not fitting quite right

11. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    Alright, I may as well attempt this.

Here is my little wishlist / materials I need:

Anti-static wristband: around $10 http://www.compbargains.com/_e/Straps/spro...Wrist_Strap.htm

Housing: $11.88
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10860

Triwing: $2.04
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30937

Filer: $3.49
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13061

Tweezers: $2
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4985

Total: $32ish

My attempt = $30 versus a refurbished $100....let's hope I can do this.

I'm going with a crystal clear because it's more "original" and it's apparently a better fit according to that one guide somewhere floating around.

12. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    most refurbshed console have micphone don't working.... you have to check it with some homebrew or mic games as cooking mania

13. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    $30 + cost of broken console [​IMG]

And you wont need a filer with the clear cases from DX, they fit together very nicley when all the wires are in the right place [​IMG]

...Infact you shouldn't need tweezers either unless you have fat fingers.

14. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    Yes I have fat fingers.

I'll get rid of the filer ($3).

I am going to get a pocketknife thingy from DX, can I use that to "pick up the switch" things for the ribbon cable or should I get tweezers?

Mind answering my hinge question too? (see first post)

And I'm nervous, even if I'm wearing the anti-static bracelet, will the screwdrivers and metal tools be anti-static as I hold them >_>? I don't know physics/chemistry etc.

15. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    To be honest I just used my finger nail for the LCD connector.

The handle for the screw driver is plastic, therefor insulated; so holding it wont discharge it, you'd need to touch the metal part. Not really sure how those wrist band things work, but I just touch everything I'm gonna use then touch the copper piping to my heater and I've had no problems.

And I'm not really understanding your question about the hinge [​IMG]

16. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    Alright, the part of the casing, which is the hinge AREA, is severly cracked. The plastic is popping off. The DS is still intact, and still holding together for these 7 months since it happened, the problem is when it's opened, it does not stay open, it is very loose, and I have to use my fingers to keep the lid open, and I am not sure if the casing is what makes it "stay open and SNAP" or if it's the actual metal hinge mechanism, and if that's what's broken...I don't know if the hinge (mechanism) is broken or not (is it just the casing?)

>_>?

17. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    I'd say it's the plastic.

If the plastic is broken, it wont be strong enough the hold the hinge in place to be able to 'click'.

But the hinge is only like $2, so you can order it if you're really unsure.

18. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    Alright, ordered the hinge too, and everything is set, can't wait to do this.

I hope this anti-static wrist strap works, I do not want to fry my DS, I do not have the money to buy another...:/

I'll wear it 15 minutes prior to hopefully take effect, and touch the metal parts of screwdrivers, knife, etc. and hopefully that grounds it too....

>_>

19. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    DX sell antistatic gloves...

But I hate DX now... returning broken items is SOOOOOOO tedious

and all I seem to get from DX is faulty stuff....