Has anyone read 'A Scanner Darkly'?

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I read this in 8th grade. I remember that no one had heard of it, only my homeroom teacher had heard of the movie. Didn't even know of the novel. Odd 5 years later I'm thinking of it. So has anyone read 'A Scanner Darkly'? If so what did you think of it? I liked it personally.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't read it but I watched it recently. Excellent movie and interesting.

You gotta love the character played by Robert Downy Jr..

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The movie was so different from the book though (I liked the movie, they omitted the 70s lingo, changed the time period (for obvious reasons). But I still thought it was a good movie.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the book and the movie.
Phillip K Dick is a fantastic writer, I would aslo recommend 'Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said' and 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'

You may also like Kurt Vonnegut's books too.

Edit: 8th grade? Haha nice!
biggrin.gif

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've read Flow My Tears and Slaughterhouse Five, they was pretty good, but I'm an unusual reader. I read many types of books, and my reactions differ from that of normal people. I enjoy Philip K.Dick. I never really realized that this book was not common among my age group until recently.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I read A Scanner Darkly and loved it.

I find Philip K. Dick hard to read sometimes because his style is a bit inaccessible (took me a long time to get into books like Confessions of a Crap Artist).

My parents are both books nuts so that the house I grew up in looks like a library. Because my dad mostly likes SF every once in a while he'd pull a book out of the shelves and tell me I should read it. He got me interested in Philip K. Dick, Kurt Vonnegut, Stephen R. Donaldson (Gap Cycle, Thomas Covenant), Walter M. Miller Jr (A Canticle for Leibowitz), Isaac Asimov et al.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM