Has anyone here had to deal with a pregnant cat?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My dirty slut of a cat has got herself pregnant and while I was at the vets finding this out, I forgot to ask about what to do when she is ready to drop or how I can tell if she is gonna drop. So I thought I'd google this but decided to see if anyone here has had any experience in this matter, for reasons unknown to me right now..

Pre-pregnancy 11th July:
f_11072008m_f46803a.jpg

f_11072008001m_dbf067c.jpg

Today:
f_08082008m_f74f1e3.jpg

So advice and shit, it would be nice to hear how much discharge there'll be & whether she'll have a gaper before she gives birth so I'd know when she does.

Thanks.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
wow congratulations
rofl2.gif

my slutty kitty did the same thing and believe it or not a cat will usually just go and pick a place and lay there and give birth
try to make sure that anywhere inaccessable is blocked off so the kittens can be gotten to easily enough and that there will be no fear of them being trodden on

my cat gave birth actually lying next to me on the sofa but she was in the advance stages of labour lying on my legs (believe me this is an honour)i was made up
you could feel the contractions ripping through her, she was panting and everything
wub.gif
it was really wondeful to see
i kind of got worried because the first kitten was breach and you could see this teeny tail and the labour seemed to have stopped

but trust me cats are very resourceful and her instincts will be spot on

edit: there is a minimal amount of mess thank god for sofa throws
and don't leave any washing lying around
rofl2.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shelleeson said:
edit: there is a minimal amount of mess thank god for sofa throws
and don't leave any washing lying around
rofl2.gif
I'm keeping bedrooms closed for now as they're the only rooms with carpets, the rest of the rooms have laminate flooring. She doesn't seem to want to lie on anything with fabric right now so I guess that is good.

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll know when she's ready. She'll be restless and not want to be anywhere other than the place she picked out. Welping boxes don't work with cats, unless they pick it out themselves. If you know where she wants to be, you could (read: I did) put some water, a bit of food and a liter pan in the nearby area. After a few days to a week she may start moving her kittens around to various other hiding spots in the house.

I had a pregnant cat that wanted to give birth behind my couch, so I kept her in my den with me. I quickly let her be the boss when her water broke on my lap.
rolleyes.gif

V!olaPlayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My friend had a pregnant cat, and I poked it. Yarly.

When she gave birth, he says, the whole thing happened sort of expectantly, yet UNexpectantly (is that a word?) at the same time. So I guess you'll be ready. Best wishes!

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gapman416 said:
My friend had a pregnant cat, and I poked it. Yarly.

When she gave birth, he says, the whole thing happened sort of expectantly, yet UNexpectantly (is that a word?) at the same time. So I guess you'll be ready. Best wishes!
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
We took in a stray pregnant cat not long ago. When it dropped it starting getting all panicky and trying to climb in cupboards and boxes, looking for a nesting place type thing I guess. Then it's stomach started spazzing and a few minutes later it started giving birth.

How old is the cat? This one was really young and had to be watched during the births as it really struggled.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
We took in a stray pregnant cat not long ago. When it dropped it starting getting all panicky and trying to climb in cupboards and boxes, looking for a nesting place type thing I guess. Then it's stomach started spazzing and a few minutes later it started giving birth.

How old is the cat? This one was really young and had to be watched during the births as it really struggled.
Not quite sure, this one was a stray too. She just turned up a few months back and just never went away. I'd say she was about 6-8 months old.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
my cats given birth 3 times (some one should really nuteur it) What it normally does is start poking around finding somewhere to give birth, best thing is to lay down a matt in a box for it. After that cats given birth try not to interfere with it too much as it could cause it to neglect its offspring. Be prepared that one of the litter could die, my cat gave birth bout 3 weeks ago to 7 kittens! one of them died unfortunatly.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
TrolleyDave said:

Not quite sure, this one was a stray too. She just turned up a few months back and just never went away. I'd say she was about 6-8 months old.

I'd keep an eye on it during the births then. If it struggles your gonna have to keep it cool with a cloth and give it some pampering to take it's mind of the pain. I had to actually help pull a couple of the kittens out as well. Nothing major, it just couldn't make that final push on the last couple of kittens. One thing you'll be happy about is because it's a kitten it won't give birth to a full litter. The one we took in looked about the same age as the one in the pics and it only dropped 4 instead of 6-8.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice.

She's been sleeping in the bath a lot so I'm guessing/hoping that's her place she'll give birth.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just arrived home and there she is with 4 new kittens...on my god damn bed! So I'll need a new mattress then seeing all of the afterbirth has soaked through.

They seem very healthy, so that's good.

Pics in the blog tomorrow, leaving them alone now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte