Has anyone heard or used this before. I know I have!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Nimbus, Aug 15, 2010.

Aug 15, 2010
  1. Nimbus
    OP

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    What this thing on this page is a modified hosts file, and It is freaking awesome

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

It has a bunch of websites on it that have been reported to be infected, and/or have malicious purposes. However next to them is 127.0.0.1 which is your loopback address.

What this results in is your computer looking up itself when you try to access one of those said websites. Since the loopback address range merely loops back to itself, your computer never resolves the connection to these websites, and henceforth it never accesses them.

They have instructions for various Windows Systems.

For Linux, you need to download the text only version, copy all the lines with the websites on "there are a ton", and run sudo gedit /etc/hosts and paste them into the bottom of the /etc/hosts file and save it.

Restart your web browser, and you'll notice that you won't see as many google ads, nor will you be able to access any website listed in the modified hosts file, and they won't be able to access you either.

I use it in Linux and in Windows, and as soon as I figure out where the Hosts file is located in Mac OSX, I'll use it on there too.

It's no replacement for a Anti-Virus utility, or a firewall, but it's a useful extra layer of security one way or the other.

I thought I'd share it with you all, I apologize if you already use/know about it.

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I don't use that site to modify my hosts file. I do however you spyware blaster and spybot search & destroy to update and add entries to my hosts file/browser every so often. It 's a pretty effective method I find.

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Just use NoScript.

This is completely unnecessary.

4. Nimbus
    OP

United Kingdom
    I do use NoScript FYI Urza.

I use NoScript, this hosts file, Malware-Bytes, AVG Free 9, and Comodo Personal Firewall (In Winblowz anyway)

I find this Hosts file to be very useful. I do respect your opinions on it though, even though I don't agree with it.

5. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Once upon a time I used to, but there is no need now. Use PeerGuardian2/ PeerBlock and a few of the blocklists http://iblocklist.com/lists.php as those get automatically updated.

6. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Seems like you're wasting a fairly large amount of your machine's local resources.

NoScript quite literally obsoletes using the hosts file as a malware prevention technique, AVG is terribly buggy plus full of inefficient code, and software firewalls should really never be used (unless you're out wardriving or using public networks).

7. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Seems useful, also the hosts file on OS X is in private/etc/hosts.

8. Nimbus
    OP

United Kingdom
    Found that out yesterday. I should have suspected that it would be in a folder somewhere called /etc/hosts in OSX.

Btw, I don't really use Windows all that often. Most of the time I use Ubuntu or Fedora 64-Bit, both of which seem to be way more capable and efficient of handling my System's resources than Windows ever would be able to, so I can get away with having a Massive Hosts file without any huge system impact.

Besides, I enjoy making Windows suffer, even if it ends up being protected in the process. I dispise it's closed source nature, and if Wine or Linux were capable of running everything Windows could flawlessly, I'd happily murder the bloated operating system that it is. Call me sadistic towards it if you will.

9. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    That's the stupidest reason for poor system maintenance I've ever heard.

10. Nimbus
    OP

United Kingdom
    Again Urza, I don't mean to sound hostile when I say this, but that's your oppinion.

I don't maintain Windows as often as my other operating systems because I don't use it that often.

It is true though, anything that makes Microsofts operating systems, or Microsoft itself suffer brings me a great deal of some sort of dark, twisted, sadistic joy. I mean sure I use windows once or twice in awhile, but it doesn't mean I like it. I hate a good deal of it, and given the option I would always pick Linux over it if the application I am going to be using works in wine in Linux or has a Linux version available.

In fact, I take back part of what I said earlier. Windows is so clunky that it makes itself suffer. Having all those security products running probably doesn't faze it at all.

Back on subject, I hope some of you find this of some level of usefulness. I actually didn't find out about this modded hosts file untill autumn of last year.