Hardware Has anyone gotten a 2280 inside the series s?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given the crazy deals going around on the s it's super tempting for me to grab one. I've done some research where knowing you'll need to duplicate a image of the official SSD which is a 2230, though I'm curious if theirs just been any attempts at sticking a 2280 inside of it and duplicating the SSD that way

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You cannot replace the hard drive in series consoles unless you've pulled the replacement drive from an already existing console. At least not yet. MS seems to have a whitelist of drives that work and so far no one has managed to get a 3rd party drive working that we know about.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
indeed, I think someone was testing internal drives with the series s/x, and I think only one worked, but it had major problems. you'll have to settle for one of those expansion packs.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the person testing other drives was a developer. kinda curious if the ps5 is the same way. I know it's soldered to the motherboard.
If it wasn't so much work for me I'd pull the SN530 out of my laptop and test it on my series x but since it's my system drive it's just too much of a bother for me to attempt. I'm not sure if it would be possible to replace the soldered nand chips that sony uses with larger modules but would be interesting to see someone try. Something tells me that the software that would be needed to install the firmware afterwards would require some sort of recovery mode operation since the new chips would be clean.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1