Homebrew Has anyone got WINE to work with Whiite Linux?

marduk666

THE INFINITE NOOB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just what the title says.

It would be cool.... But it might be impossible. Someone else would know better than I would.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is impossible. WINE is not an emulator, it's a compatibility layer... The Wii's processor is not related to PC processors at all... and thus you aren't creating a compatibility layer between just different OS, you'd have to actually emulate the system...

The closest thing to WINE for Wii is DOSbox, which can currently only play really old dos games full speed.

marduk666

THE INFINITE NOOB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanx for the reply.
T
hats what I had thought, because WINE is x86 and the wii is Power PC (I guess?) I was reading around that there is a Power PC port of WINE called DarWINE. I wonder if that might work.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://darwine.sourceforge.net/faq.php

QUOTE said:
No. We are currently working on integrating an x86 emulator in wine in order to run Win32 exe on a PowerPC Box. But on Darwin-x86 a Win32 .exe should run within wine with a limited effort.

Again, there needs to be an x86 emulator involved, and an x86 emulator will be incredibly resource intensive (IE, prohibitive on the Wii's limited hardware. Again see Dosbox)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat