Has anyone got one of the older PAL N64s they want to sell (any condition)?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, I've got one of the latest models of N64 (transparent turquoise top and frosted white base). The later models like these don't output s-video and I want to get the best pic possible without modding, so - regardless of condition - does anyone have one of the older N64s that they'd want to sell? I'm asking here as opposed to looking on eBay because there's no guarantee that one from eBay will have s-video.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ask seller on ebay if it has s video out, and to provide a picture as proof. I've done something similar before, good luck.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, thanks - looks like that's what I've gotta do! Although I doubt that many people in the UK use s-video or are even aware of it on N64s but you don't know unless you try. :)

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are only two pal motherboard revisions, I thought both done S-video, but just have missing components and need a modified cable that has them added back into it. Like what http://www.consolegoods.co.uk sell.

Far as I know, first revision (NUS-CPU(P)-01) will work without added components, but picture will not look right. Second revision (NUS-CPU(P)-02) will display nothing without the modded cable.

Anyway, if you must change, I would just ask for the serial, rather than asking if it does S-video. That is how I grabbed my RGB moddable NTSC machine (checking serials). Much easier than asking for technical details, from people who may not know.

According to this list from here

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1417

European
NUP13723487 - NUS-CPU(P)-01
NUP13892869 - NUS-CPU(P)-01
NUP15465864 - NUS-CPU(P)-01
NUP15754441 - NUS-CPU(P)-02
NUP15787038 - NUS-CPU(P)-02
NUP16551203 - NUS-CPU(P)-01 (Pikachu Model)

Anything under 154XXXXX should be the first revision board. If you can't get S-video out of one of them, then something else is wrong, as there are only two boards.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are only two pal motherboard revisions, I thought both done S-video, but just have missing components and need a modified cable that has them added back into it. Like what http://www.consolegoods.co.uk sell.

Far as I know, first revision (NUS-CPU(P)-01) will work without added components, but picture will not look right. Second revision (NUS-CPU(P)-02) will display nothing without the modded cable.

Anyway, if you must change, I would just ask for the serial, rather than asking if it does S-video. That is how I grabbed my RGB moddable NTSC machine (checking serials). Much easier than asking for technical details, from people who may not know.

According to this list from here

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1417

European
NUP13723487 - NUS-CPU(P)-01
NUP13892869 - NUS-CPU(P)-01
NUP15465864 - NUS-CPU(P)-01
NUP15754441 - NUS-CPU(P)-02
NUP15787038 - NUS-CPU(P)-02
NUP16551203 - NUS-CPU(P)-01 (Pikachu Model)

Anything under 154XXXXX should be the first revision board. If you can't get S-video out of one of them, then something else is wrong, as there are only two boards.
AHA! So even though it doesn't output any picture, my N64 can output S-video? Do you know what kind of cable I'd need and what it would need in the mod?

Would you know is the cable named N64 S-Video cable - PAL version' on this page be the right one?

Thanks! :)

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh, I checked out the thread that you linked but found nothing about Euro consoles and s-video. Do you have a link for me to read up on? Everything I Googled about later EUR N64 models told me that they don't output s-video, so if I was able to read up about them actually outputting s-video I'd like to digest all the info.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Damn it, I found some info about it here. It says...

-The second revision (All coloured N64 consoles and possibly some black ones aswell) use the 'MAV-NUS' chip which quite often wont even display a picture when using an NTSC S-Video cable without the necessary missing components.

I can't build my own cable, I'm too incompetent! :'(

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AHA! So even though it doesn't output any picture, my N64 can output S-video? Do you know what kind of cable I'd need and what it would need in the mod?

Would you know is the cable named N64 S-Video cable - PAL version' on this page be the right one?

Thanks! :)

Yes, far as I know the one listed as PAL S-video cable is the one, it should have the missing components added back to it.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks, I'm a bit worried though as I can't see how 2 different boards can require the same cable, I think the one at the online shop isn't the same as the one that is in the thread and is for the older types (which is a simpler task) - I've messaged the guys in the shop to find out about it. An RGB mod is too cumbersome but the N64 deserves to have a better picture - in fact I'd go as far as saying that due to the poor textures that it has, maybe the less sharp s-video offers a better 'visual experience' than RGB.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I'm a bit worried though as I can't see how 2 different boards can require the same cable, I think the one at the online shop isn't the same as the one that is in the thread and is for the older types (which is a simpler task) - I've messaged the guys in the shop to find out about it. An RGB mod is too cumbersome but the N64 deserves to have a better picture - in fact I'd go as far as saying that due to the poor textures that it has, maybe the less sharp s-video offers a better 'visual experience' than RGB.

Far as I am aware, they need the same cable, as it's the same parts that are missing. It's just on the earlier board, it will display, but the picture will be wrong (too bright or something, can't remember) and later board it just won't display.

They both should use the same cable. It was Nintendo's idea of essentially region locking the cables. US machines just use a normal cable, PAL machines would have the one with missing parts. They never actually got around to making an official Euro S-video cable & most of the ones out there are for NTSC machines.

Can't remember where I read that, but it wouldn't surprise me, considering they region locked controllers on the Snes.

Consolegoods is normally pretty good though, so I would just wait for them to respond.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, thanks - I really appreciate the help. I just don't understand how 1 board can output a signal via s-video with a standard NTSC cable (even if it's too bright or whatever) yet the other gets nothing at all, and that the same parts in a cable somehow fix both problems. Plus I don't like the sentence that the second board is "missing SMT components for S-Video", even though I'm not sure what that is.

But then I don't know about electronics (although I wish I did, it fascinates me).

Shadow-Zero

Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Netherlands
I understood PAL NUS-CPU(P)-02 did actually output s-video. There's a whole thread on going about whether it's improved over the s-video of NUS-CPU(P)-01 at zetaboards: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7363768/
Lot of info has also been put on the nintendo64 wikia: http://nintendo64.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Motherboard_Revision
http://nintendo64.wikia.com/wiki/Console_SN_List

I have a NUS-CPU(P)-03-1 and can confirm it doesn't output s-video at all. Tried to break the ground connection on the board and connect the videochip pins to the trail, but no luck even then.

I'm pasting my post from nfggames forum here for some more info and sources on this:
Tried both the 220uF/68nF caps (lot of interference) and Y to G bridge (no improvement) solution, but no luck so far.

Sources I've used:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27684
Link83/albino_vulpix s-video fix
Link83 motherboard layout
N64 MultiAv connector
Assemblergames s-video fix topic
Bad_Ad84 mentioning the same fix as Link83
FireAza brainstorming on the mod
Link83 N64 revisions / s-video summary
Link83 comparing official NTSC and PAL composite cable
http://console5.com/wiki/SNES
http://nintendo64.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Motherboard_Revision

Link83 schematics:
paln64svideog.png

AlmostOriginal schematics:
2lkbtj6.png

Quote Link83 that pretty much sums up the PAL N64
I think its a shame that Nintendo decided to 'region lock' video cables - it just takes region locking to the extreme (and I cant see any other reason why they would do it other than region locking) It meant that many PAL N64 users didnt even get a decent(ish) S-Video picture from their N64 and had to put up with the Composite/RF output.

Its also interesting to note that almost all third-party Composite AV cables are designed for the NTSC market aswell, so also miss out the 75ohm resistor and 220uf capacitor - many people dont realise this and wonder why their composite picture doesnt look very good (Not that composite looks great anyway!) Also many import gamers often get their nintendo cables muddled up aswell and dont realise it makes a difference.

As a sidenote, official composite cable comparison:
official PAL SNES composite cable: 75ohm resistor to ground, no caps
official PAL N64 composoite cable: 75ohm resistor to ground, no caps
official PAL GC composite cable: 75ohm resistor to ground and 220uF capacitor
official NTSC SNES composite cable: straight through
official NTSC N64 composite cable: straight through
official NTSC GC composite cable: straight through

I experienced using an NTSC composite or s-video cable on a PAL N64 results in a washed out image. Using these on a PAL SNES there doesn't seem to be any difference (with either the double PPU as the 1CHIP revision).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSN52HstbI