Hacking Has anyone ever tried this out? Regarding playing wiiu games via sd

Knuxflux

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I know this is pretty old, but I haven't seen a topic made on it as far as I could see. So has anyone tried this yet? And if they have does it work? If no one has though I intend to try it out myself for system knowledge purposes.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youtube is not a place to be trusted, especially when it comes to modding.
A Cautionary Tale of Failtube
I read that, funny way to lay out the tale. At least you were prepared. Something happened to mine one time and it was BLACK, I was not good at soldering then so infectus was not an option. I needed to use a Walmart special. Your solution was a lot more, ah, ethical. That required some prayer and that I repented. NEVER again. My wife was ENRAGED and I deserved it.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Obviously fake, don't trust random youtube vids goddamnit.

You random forum people need to stop being so gullible, I swear.
This video isn't about modding or pirating, it's just talking about running legit eShop games from SD card using an SD to USB adapter. Are you sure it's fake?

Reactions: Reecey

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This video isn't about modding or pirating, it's just talking about running legit eShop games from SD card using an SD to USB adapter. Are you sure it's fake?
For that, if the Wii U sees it and formats it, it likely can and will use it. I did not watch the vid but was responding to Joostin's post. I don't see the harm from what you said. It is not changing any software/ios, it should work if Wii U sees it/formats. I cannot speak to speed of SD card or how well it could work though. Worst case; give it a try, let us all know.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Haha, egg on my face. Didn't even look at the video, we just see so many fakes on youtube that people fall for.
I agree, it's all your fault that none of us watched the video. Damn you Rydian, always doing...stuff! :angry:

Joostin shakes his fist

Anyway, now that we've cleared that up, I've got a couple things to say.
  1. This video does look legit, and I might even test it tomorrow if I feel like formatting an SD card.
  2. There is a GOOD REASON why SD cards aren't supported. They have a maximum number of read/write cycles before they crap out. Playing a game means constant reading and writing to your drive.

Reactions: Rydian

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I use a 32gb flash drive on my WiiU to hold Arkham City-Armored Edition along with a few other games.
Huh. Well then it doesn't OFFICIALLY support flash drives, as in you aren't supposed to use them. I haven't tried one, I was going off of stuff I've read on Nintendo.com.

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. Well then it doesn't OFFICIALLY support flash drives, as in you aren't supposed to use them. I haven't tried one, I was going off of stuff I've read on Nintendo.com.

I've never read that on there lol but it doesn't have a problem with the one I'm using at least so far.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Essentially, since an sd card reader is just a usb adapter that turns it into a flash disc.
Yes, I know that. I don't think you understand my point. If you keep using a flash drive to run games, the flash drive is going to crap out.

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Until it's "just" and USB mass storage it will work. Maybe you can also try with your phone and a µsd...
The only thing said is that WiiU internal sd reader can't be used.

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I know that. I don't think you understand my point. If you keep using a flash drive to run games, the flash drive is going to crap out.

Yes, flash memory devices have a limited number of write cycles, but its so high that you're unlikely to actually wear them out with typical use before they get replaced with a bigger/faster version. I mean, really, just think how much wear and tear an SSD with Windows must go through. Also, Wii U games shouldn't be writing to the memory device they're stored on. They're designed to be run from discs, which are read-only.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would have been a good find if the guy was using the SD card slot located in the front of the Wii U. Nintendo already stated that transferring games to the USB and playing the games from USB will work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water