Has anyone ever gifted an "emulation machine" to a kid?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Harsky, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    This week I helped my little cousin hack his 3DS and loaded it with a bunch of NES/GB/retro games and when I spoke to him again, there was only one game he played over and over and over again. Mario Kart 7 without even touching any of the other games at all.

There seems to be a growing trend of selling emulation machines (PSPs, Raspberry Pi, Xbox with XBMC etc) and what I noticed is a small group of people saying that they wanted to buy one for their little kid. I guess my point is, with the power to play over 1000 games in their handheld, how many kids actually just... stopped playing with it?

2. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    hmm it's a good point but I don't know xD if wa sbe I would at leats give a look in each ine and play the ones I liked most until I got bored hahah maybe recomendadion or what they call me to play together...
    well one time I gifted a DSlite (sady it not much alive today) to a buddy and he only wanted to play pokemon, everything else he played he would use invincibility cheat to pass the stuff faster :v lol
    Don't even cared for some fan translate dgame sI put there for him >w> lolol anyway

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    With 1000's of games to choose from where do you start? chances are his friends have Mario Kart 7, or he knows about that, so chose to play that.

I think with older games you probably will need to sit down and show him what's good about the game. Or find something you can play 2 players on and both enjoy together.

Lets be honest, many retro games don't exactly age well. To us and people who grew up with them they will always be awesome, however I could totally understand how someone much younger than myself wouldn't like them.

Sliter likes this.
  4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Aw, I would of LOVED this when I was younger :P

5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I don't have that much stuff set up on my sister's 2DS, but she does, from time to time, play some SNES or GB/C games.

6. Andim

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I've never done this, but if I was gonna give such a setup to a kid, I'd limit the selection to my favorite 2-dozen or so games from each platform. And I'd talk him through what he might like to play. Just leaving a kid with ROM fullsets sounds like a bad idea.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  7. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I have given my 9y-old brother a GBA a couple years ago, and gave him some of my older electronics for him to play with. In fact, I made him use DOS on a 486DX2 desktop I own before Windows. And he did play some emulated games on the GBA.

8. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    I've had varying results, I sold someone one of my DS flashcarts preloaded with loads of stuff and they played so much, Even asking advice on upgrading it and adding new games.

Another person just played Pokemon and did not touch the other games, I struggle to understand those people... But whatever.

Tomato Hentai likes this.