Has anyone ever been fined

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a friend of mine moved from the midwest to lasvegas and got 2 C&D's within the first month, and got a third one because he had other users on his wifi d/l some questioable matrial and got severed from the isp for 5 years. Im pretty sure he said he was with Cox Communications

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
I don't think the government will care if you make a few illegal copies of games, like a casual pirate.

If you're renting out space in a storage facility and stacking it wall-to-wall with pirated copies of Transformers 2, on the other hand, you may just receive a hefty fine. I remember a few years back, around the time Revenge of the Sith came out, some guy got arrested for stockpiling bootleg copies of the movie.

I have one of those bootlegs...

they will never sue pirates, just the suppliers

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ZenZero said:
they will never sue pirates, just the suppliers

tell that to all the regular average people like you and me students/moms/dads/uncle/sisters/friends and these people being dragged to court did not have piles and piles of music ready to be sold in some warehouse, just a couple songs in a shared folder.... the mpaa/riaa sent out settmelent papers and if persons(s) didnt settle they are summoned to court...

Jammie Thomas
Joel Tenenbaum

as well as all these DOE cases (these are real people btw)

http://beckermanlegal.com/Documents.htm

albiet this is music piracy I hightlighted here, but its not very far fetched in the future to see this type of litagition practice used by other digital content providers these people are in the buisness of setting precedents and changing law and the money they are after dwarfs the amount they are already spent on legal fee's and procdings

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like people (police, etc.) are more serious and arrest more people for music piracy. The only times I've heard about people getting fined for pirating games are when they sell them.

WiiForgotten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They go after the big people who make alot from selling games and modding consoles

like having a hole room full of burnt games
they'll catch you

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok well i looked over all of the stories and it seems like it only happens to people that sell the pirated games. If your just downloading a few games to play now and then you won't get fined right?

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:
Here is one example of getting caught for piracy

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-be...s-52386872.html

It's scary because he can get more time in jail than some people have for killing a person.

“Piracy, counterfeiting and other intellectual property rights violations not only cost U.S. businesses jobs and billions of dollars a year in lost revenue, they can also pose significant health and safety risks to consumers,” he said.

ROFL
rofl2.gif
"they can also pose significant health and safety risks to consumers" WTF hes wright if you pirate a DS game your DS will blow up in your face !

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt