Has anyone ever beaten the classic phantasy star series?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked in my room the other day and fount the "Sonic ultimate genesis collection" for ps3.
If you don't know what it is, a compilation of sega genesis/megadrive games made by sega that the system was most notable for back in the ealry 1990s It has games like sonic the hedgehog, golden axe, streets of rage, shining force, colums, and some arcade ports that has to be unlocked.

Anyway, on the game it has the first 4 phantasy star games on it (Phantasy star for sega master system, and Phantasy star II, Phantasy star III Generations of doom and Phantasy star IV end of the meleninum) The truth is i heard great deal about phantasy star games but the problem is the polish of the game. The game pacing is very slow, the ammount of clues to get stuff done is very little, progression is very slow, the movment speed is so tedious and slow, (except in Phantasy star IV) And fighting is difficult. It was the first patch of Jrpg games in america, i understand. But it just seem so badly made and programmed. Compared to some on super nintendo like Final fantasy IV.

Basically i just wanna know, anyone ever beaten any of these games or have experence to share with it?

Reactions: cearp

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I beat Phantasy Star 4 more than 20 years ago.

It was awesome to me at the time, as were Shining Force 2 and Final Fantasy 3 (6).

Phantasy Star IV stood out to me due to Battle animations even though they were simple and combining abilities between characters by casting them in a specific sequence.

Keep in mind that nowdays standards are pretty higher though.

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have beat 1, 2 and 3 and the most important is the imersive history. Is slow but mot so much since you care for the heroes goal. Recomend.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Phantasy Star RPGs are probably some of my desert island games (4, 2, 1 and never 3).
Choice video as that is apparently what we do these days

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still i mean is no easy game, and i am sure i play it wrong since according to the gallery on the sonic ultimate genesis collection that when buying the genesis games to play on the system, they included a strategy guide with the game cause rpg games were not commen internationally. Though i never played the game on actual genesis, the compilation titles doesn't include any of the mentioned strategy guide or manuals to help me with. If i was to play faithfully, it would mean Being taken back to the past of 1988 and playing that game with manual included. The name of items and spells make no sense, it is not clear what they do without first knowing that, indicating trial and error process, is overall complicated compared to a game like final fantasy mystic quest on snes. Money should just be "money" or "Gold" Or "Coins" Or "Cash" not "MESSETA' fire should just be "FIRE" not "FOI" Thunder should be anything refering to electric not "ZAN" The items you buy are not even properly named, i assume cause the box used for text is small and can't say "CERAMIC SWORD" Instead of "CERAMSWRD" or something like that. It doesn't tell you who can equip what before buying so you could make mistakes of buying stuff you can't use, and items don't clearify what each thing does. If i never heard of "MONOMITE" before, then i would never know what to do with it.

I understand is a fantasy world, of science fiction, but shouldn't be based on some existing thing? That is where usually things come from, fiction based on reality. No where in any of my studies i heard of these words or language which the names of this stuff is from and it just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe sega would make a remastered phanatsy star hd collection with easier understanding of things. Maybe if the clearity of names for things was better, i would have less to think about besides the slow walking, getting lost inside dungeons and insane battles and requirements for long grinding times.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To have just plain money I would give all the gil in the world, and some rupees too, also no small number of bells, I might even chuck in some bottle caps, the souls are mine and though I do have some munny right now it is stuck with some honey to a five pound note, also I would have some Zenny but frankly that trader is has too much good stuff so I would need to convert something else first.

I played PS4 without a manual, worked fine. Maybe it is the same thing that makes people think the water temple in ocarina of time is hard.

Skip to 1:10

Has a nice arrow next to things a given character can equip. A stats readout would be nice and I have kind of got used to it in later games, however it is a pretty linear game and by the time you have a sort of vague choice you should know what goes.

57-image066.jpg

I will give that such a thing is defining a proper noun with a proper noun.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see why phantasy star iv is probably the most beaten among players, cause
  1. is the fourth game in the series (will explain why that is important)
  2. it has more polish into it
  3. correct some errors that was problematic in earlier games
  4. makes things easier
If you're talking about any other one of the three like i am. (phantasy star 2 then the opinion is not the same. Why the first phantasy star kinda plays like shining in the dungeon? First person dungeon crawling rpg games are har. Just my opinion. Second game has multiple levels of floors, and tons of dead ends combined with very slow movements and very high random encounter rate is very distasteful, and doesn't include a map for any of this non clairvoyance. The third game has a map, only on overworld, but not in dungeons, also the generations thing, when you pick characters to marry and play as their children, adding choices like that means selecting difficulty and not knowing who to marry can make the game turn out unexpectedly harder.

While maybe none of this is in part iv, that is why i bet people play that one and know it to be the better game of the series.

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Phantasy Star RPGs are probably some of my desert island games (4, 2, 1 and never 3).
Choice video as that is apparently what we do these days

3 is the black sheep of the family but not for me. Many hours of my childhood was playing the japanese version trying to make all four endings and understand the history. Have the most unique and beautifull grafics of all and a special place inside my heart. Is a dense atmosfere game with a strong soundtrack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1