Hacking Has Anyone Brought A CFW 3ds To A Pokemon VGC Tournament?

MXA1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I want to start genning pokemon etc. But I am not super comfortable putting permanent custom firmware onto my only 3ds (it's basically permanent as removing cfw can screw stuff up)

I am mostly just solely uncomfortable bringing my 3ds to a vgc tournament, and asking to borrow a friend's 3ds would be tricky

I am hearing more judges at VGC events are SD card checking and are holding select on boot, checking for custom firmware.

I just want to see what some people have to say. Right now I am considering installing solely the homebrew launcher through subwars and using steelminer. This will make it easy to remove for a VGC event. The downside is if a 3ds software update comes along then I cannot access the internet for battle spot and the exploit will probably no longer work on the update.

Last edited by MXA1,

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
There's this fork of Luma which prevents boot menus, but it's outdated and I think doesn't work on 11.8.
For sd card, you can just load Luma from nand and remove all related files from sd card.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try the custom firmware Rei-Six. This is basically luma's sister.
  1. Put Rei-Six's boot.firm and rei folder on your CTRNAND.
  2. Remove traces of custom firmware on your SD card (ie, boot.3dsx, boot.firm, 3ds and luma folders).
  3. Disable the default Splash boot.
  4. It has no Rosalina menu and Luma3DS configuration.
  5. I believe GodMode9 will also be disabled when holding (Start).
The only problem with this setup is if someone checks the System Setting and see's the Rei tag.

Edit - Forget everything I said. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Edit 2 - You can use Rei-Six without its rei folder. It'll boot without splashes or the .:Rei version string.

As for getting it to boot from CTRNAND, you may need to exchange boot9strap for fastboot-3ds. I don't know of anyway of to prevent detection of fastboot3ds when holding the (HOME) button.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If they are not allowed to use "testing SD cards", depending on how much it is worth to you, you could compile your own Luma with removed buttons and install it to CTRNAND...
Unless there is an SD card with CFW, b9s will boot CTRNAND Luma and this wont accept any keys to show a settings menu or System strings (if set up to not show before...)

Once the event is over, you insert your SD, SD Luma is executed and you can use all features, including SELECT and START menu again.
Just make sure not to update CTRNAND once/if Luma gets an update untill then

Last edited by Resaec,

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not that different from cardgame judges checking your cards for banned cards.
I can totaly see judges of a competitive match doing that.

Just that I would try everything I'm capable of to circumvent those measures... Always did :creep:

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I accept that as the better way to do this as your enemies don't expect you to have an unfair advantage in a regular match.
In underground battles (lol) you better expect this.

What games are played in Pokemon matches?
I actually don't know if something like PokeBank is a thing in the new games (sharing in general)?

Otherwise you would hardly get your hands on hacked Pokemon... Normal trading, pff

Last edited by Resaec,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
One could compile a version of Luma3DS where the all of the button combination for Rosalina and the boot menu are impossible to do, then install Luma3DS directly onto the FIRM0. This would make everything super clean and pretty hard to detect.
You can use Rei-Six without its rei folder. It'll boot without splashes or the .:Rei version string.

As for getting it to boot from CTRNAND, you may need to exchange boot9strap for fastboot-3ds. I don't know of anyway of to prevent detection of fastboot3ds when holding the (HOME) button.
Actually you can still copy Rei-Six to the CTRNAND with B9S without hassle. B9S like A9LH prioritizes SD boot over CTRNAND boot, so once everything is done the OP can just rename GM9 to "boot.firm" and copy Rei-Six launcher off the CTRNAND.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think they pretty much only check if your pokemon is legit or not, so 6IV, shiny is obvious. VGC video I have seen people have only been using pokemon that are legally breeded, there are players that get caught for cheating due to like illegal ball combination etc.

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One could compile a version of Luma3DS where the all of the button combination for Rosalina and the boot menu are impossible to do
Pretend I didn't just posted that :P
Think they pretty much only check if your pokemon is legit or not, so 6IV, shiny is obvious. VGC video I have seen people have only been using pokemon that are legally breeded, there are players that get caught for cheating due to like illegal ball combination etc.
Yes you realy have to look out to only make valid Pokemon...
But most of this is handled by the generators anyway :D

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually you can still copy Rei-Six to the CTRNAND with B9S without hassle. B9S like A9LH prioritizes SD boot over CTRNAND boot, so once everything is done the OP can just rename GM9 to "boot.firm" and copy Rei-Six launcher off the CTRNAND.

I tried swapping the boot.firm using Rei-Six v1.2.1 on CTRNAND, and my n3DSXL experienced the instant shut off symptom. Other *.firm files I've tried: GodMode9 (it works) and fastboot3ds (this one hangs). This was the CFW I thought of that might have fit the build in the minimalist approach.

It's too bad this custom firmware was discontinued.. If its development had stayed active and incorporated stealthening for tournament detection purposes, this would have been a perfect contrast to Luma3DS.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I tried swapping the boot.firm using Rei-Six v1.2.1 on CTRNAND, and my n3DSXL experienced the instant shut off symptom. Other *.firm files I've tried: GodMode9 (it works) and fastboot3ds (this one hangs). This was the CFW I thought of that might have fit the build in the minimalist approach.

It's too bad this custom firmware was discontinued.. If its development had stayed active and incorporated stealthening for tournament detection purposes, this would have been a perfect contrast to Luma3DS.
My previous tests showed that Rei-Six actually needs the /rei folder for the patches, otherwise it just crashes. Others have reported something different and I can't seem to replicate their outcome in any of my tests. This of course could be possibly linked to how my systems are setup.
Rei-Six was made to replace ReiNAND with a modern equivalent, which is what it has done. We weren't looking to do more than add the most have features and update ReiNAND to newer code.
Honestly if someone wanted to they could fork Rei-Six and make a stealth version of it. It wouldn't really require much work to remove version string and redirect the /rei from sd to ctrnand. These are just two lines of code that can easily be edited by anyone.

able

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not get another 3ds, use the hacked one for genning and trading to the non hacked one, dont get caught verlislipping lolol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What Network is it on? I wanna see what you guys are talking about. N What time frame is it on...