Has anyone been able to get Hyne to work with final fantasy 8 remastered?

doomtrigger Sep 3, 2019.

1. alxrite

alxrite Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    Hey @AnalogMan, could we get a quick explanation on what you did for the PS4 save? I know there are more people that would like to know. I have a couple in my inbox that would. Thanks!

2. ChristianFlrenss

ChristianFlrenss Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2012
    Norway
    Worked like a charm! Maybe tell how? :D unless you just did some nice copy pasta from X spot of save to Y and imported into a raw PSX save xD

3. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Bingo. 8KB is the file size for a single PSOne save block. Someone on the PS4 boards may have noticed sooner. So I opened a memory card save for FF8 and it had the same structure as your save. I just copied your save data over the one in the MCR file, opened it in Hyne, edited it, then copied it back out to a single file.

If you want to repeat, you can create a new save in Hyne, export the new save as MCR, then open MCR in a hex editor and copy your save data from 0x2000 to 0x4000. Reopen the MCR in Hyne, edit, save, then extract the newly edited data from 0x2000 to 0x4000 and you should be good.

Maybe I'll write a python script for it but it's about as easy hex editing as it comes.

4. brahmabullrj

brahmabullrj Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2019
    Philippines
    @alxrite sorry but is this the PC version? if not, may I request for a PC version please.

Last edited by brahmabullrj, Sep 10, 2019
  5. ChristianFlrenss

ChristianFlrenss Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2012
    Norway
    Very true, but then again, it could benefit from a python script, or even just a simple gui tool that does the conversion for you perhaps, as this would make it much easier for less computer savvy people =p i'd do it myself if i knew how to write/code it though. Im not quite there yet, but with a little research maybe:)

6. jin521rin

jin521rin Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2019
    Malaysia
    @alxrite

Hope you don't mind for me to add a bit of step for your edit for those who have "Save Data Damaged" when try to load files that convert to PC and reconvert too switch

this step is also work for those who want to convert PC save to Switch to continue to play
    you should follow @alxrite guide until step 15

but at the step 16, you can try to edit the first 4 byte.

here what i means, when follow alxrite step 10, you have your new file size 21 09 00 00, and when you copy all and paste write as the step 15, you 04 byte should also show 21 09 00 00

now your file first 4 byte should be also edit to 25 09 00 00, add 4 for from the file size to match it and your save should be able to play.

i have already try to convert from switch to PC save and edit and reconvert back to Switch with the first 4 byte data size add 4, it work.
    and also i have direct copy PC save and convert to Switch with change the first 4 byte by the file size add 4, also work.

hope this can help and also hope you guy can understand what i means

Last edited by jin521rin, Sep 10, 2019
  7. alxrite

alxrite Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    You are correct. I should've updated this. It is only needed if the original file size byte 1 is too far off from byte 4. If it is "close enough" then the file will still load.

8. Tere Valentin

Tere Valentin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    I wish to edit my own savefile and give myself the following things:
    --Max stats for every character
    --have all items in inventor
    --have max ammount of all items in inventory.

Via hex editing, what do I need to search and change? Any help is deeply appreciated.

9. alxrite

alxrite Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    You will need to convert your save to a .ff8 save file and then edit it with Hyne to get all those things.

10. Tere Valentin

Tere Valentin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Worst timing for my homenet to die x.x so im stuck with phonenet.
    Any chance theres a starter Switch save posted here with just Max ammount of all items from inventory? Having all GFs feels too OP.

11. alxrite

alxrite Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    I linked one on the second page. 100 of all items.

12. luigui300

luigui300 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2018
    Mexico
    friend help, every time I edit my save file I get back to the beginning of the game, could you help me with this? I don't know what happens, thanks

13. cobaltsieg

cobaltsieg Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2019
    United States
    Weatherford, TX
    Final Edit: My bad. It helps when you follow directions. I didn't copy over the Hyne save in it's entirety into the Switch save, which is why it kept failing.

I fixed my stupid!

Last edited by cobaltsieg, Sep 15, 2019
  14. cobaltsieg

cobaltsieg Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2019
    United States
    Weatherford, TX
    I forgot to tag you in my above post. Again, thank you so much for your understanding and your tutorial

jin521rin likes this.
  15. Soli

Soli Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2019
    United States
    Aw, man... after reading all of this amazing information, I realize its likely totally useless to me. None of this save editing is going to be possible on my unmodded Switch running 9.0.0, is it? Bummer.

There's nothing out there that can extract my save files from the microSD card that FF8 is on, right?

16. cobaltsieg

cobaltsieg Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2019
    United States
    Weatherford, TX

Naw, you're gonna have to install Atmosphere on your Switch to be able to backup and restore saves, man. Atmosphere supports 9.0.0, but only if you have a hackable Switch. So check your serial number and get yourself a jig if you've got a hackable Switch.

Soli likes this.
  17. Ichisuke

Ichisuke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2015
    Italy
    Tried to edit a switch save.... But I still get damaged data when loading. Also I noted that after copying the edited save to the original one there is much more data.... So maybe I've edited too much things or use incorrect values in the editor....???
    If I just edit the amount of money the save will load correctly.... so what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Ichisuke, Sep 15, 2019
  18. Soli

Soli Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2019
    United States
    Will do! Thank you so much! Fingers crossed.

19. Artemis21

Artemis21 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2018
    Italy
    I tried to convert my steam saves to switch but every time I try to load the game it shows grey stripes and it crashes. I followed the guide but it seems I can't get the filesize right, can anybody help?

Attached Files:

20. Dejahvoe

Dejahvoe Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2019
    Indonesia
    I'm using Hyne 1.9.3a at ,
    It can open
    upload_2019-9-22_9-52-50.

Then I edit, just all item
    I'm not kinda grinding type, just play for the story
    upload_2019-9-22_9-53-52.

And then I save the same file (replace), I got warning
    upload_2019-9-22_9-54-55.

I clicked OK, I try reload then load the game
    upload_2019-9-22_9-55-57.

It work ?
    Or it gonna crash or I'm gonna encountered something to my laptop, or something ?
    upload_2019-9-22_9-58-35.

Edit 9/22/2019 :
    I think it work, I'm used Solomon ring Item for Doomtrain GF and Magical Lamp for Diablos GF
    upload_2019-9-22_10-3-13.
    Proof :
    upload_2019-9-22_10-3-29.

Last edited by Dejahvoe, Sep 22, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted