ROM Hack Has anyone been able to get Hyne to work with final fantasy 8 remastered?

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worked like a charm! Maybe tell how? :D unless you just did some nice copy pasta from X spot of save to Y and imported into a raw PSX save xD
Bingo. 8KB is the file size for a single PSOne save block. Someone on the PS4 boards may have noticed sooner. So I opened a memory card save for FF8 and it had the same structure as your save. I just copied your save data over the one in the MCR file, opened it in Hyne, edited it, then copied it back out to a single file.

If you want to repeat, you can create a new save in Hyne, export the new save as MCR, then open MCR in a hex editor and copy your save data from 0x2000 to 0x4000. Reopen the MCR in Hyne, edit, save, then extract the newly edited data from 0x2000 to 0x4000 and you should be good.

Maybe I'll write a python script for it but it's about as easy hex editing as it comes.

Cissamannen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Bingo. 8KB is the file size for a single PSOne save block. Someone on the PS4 boards may have noticed sooner. So I opened a memory card save for FF8 and it had the same structure as your save. I just copied your save data over the one in the MCR file, opened it in Hyne, edited it, then copied it back out to a single file.

If you want to repeat, you can create a new save in Hyne, export the new save as MCR, then open MCR in a hex editor and copy your save data from 0x2000 to 0x4000. Reopen the MCR in Hyne, edit, save, then extract the newly edited data from 0x2000 to 0x4000 and you should be good.

Maybe I'll write a python script for it but it's about as easy hex editing as it comes.

Very true, but then again, it could benefit from a python script, or even just a simple gui tool that does the conversion for you perhaps, as this would make it much easier for less computer savvy people =p i'd do it myself if i knew how to write/code it though. Im not quite there yet, but with a little research maybe:)

jin521rin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Oh ok. I think I got the first part!

Let me edit this and reverse it and I will share how to do it and help those that need it. Give me a minute, figuring it all out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Step 1: Open your Hex editor (Mine is HxD) and open your Switch file ff8slot00
View attachment 178470
Step 2: Look at the first 4 bytes: this tells you how long your save file is, no need to convert: Mine is 26 09 00 00 (read right to left) 00 00 09 26 Mine is 926
(If yours is something like: 34 08 00 00, it will be, 00 00 08 34 = 834​
View attachment 178471

Step 3: Select 04 (byte)
View attachment 178470
Step 4: In HxD I can right click and "Select Block" a byte: type in 926 (yours will/could be different)
View attachment 178472
Step 5: It will highlight a block of code. Copy this and Ctrl+N to make a new file
View attachment 178473
Step 6: Paste the block
View attachment 178474
Step 7: Save the file to ff8slot00.ff8
View attachment 178475
Step 8: Open in hyne
View attachment 178476
Edit how you like!

Figured it out!

Step 9: After you have made the changes to your save file in Hyne. You will open the save back into your hex editor.
View attachment 178483
Step 10: You will see the new file size, mine is 00 00 09 21 = 921.
View attachment 178483
Step 11: Copy all the info, Ctrl+A
View attachment 178473
Step 12: Go to the ORIGINAL ff8slot00 file from Step 1.
View attachment 178470
Step 13: On byte 04 in my ORIGINAL ff8slot00 the byte is 22. Highlight that.
View attachment 178470
Step 14: you will now right click and "Select Block" again. Now I would type in 921 as that is my new file size.
View attachment 178484
Step 15: Paste in the new info Ctrl+B (Paste Write)
View attachment 178488
Step 16: This left me with 5 bytes of extra data that was now not needed. I just typed in 00 00 00 00 00. This cleared the info on the end of the save file.

Step 17: Load your save file and if you did it right, you should be able to play the game with your new edits.

Notes: Your save file should be 10,244 when you are done editing. If it is lower or higher, you will need to go in just after your save info and add/delete some bytes. 1 byte per 1 you are off from 10,244. This should fix it if it is not loading or you are getting an error trying to boot the game. This is what happened to me and this is what I did to remedy it.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to message me if you need help!

@alxrite

Hope you don't mind for me to add a bit of step for your edit for those who have "Save Data Damaged" when try to load files that convert to PC and reconvert too switch

this step is also work for those who want to convert PC save to Switch to continue to play
you should follow @alxrite guide until step 15

but at the step 16, you can try to edit the first 4 byte.

here what i means, when follow alxrite step 10, you have your new file size 21 09 00 00, and when you copy all and paste write as the step 15, you 04 byte should also show 21 09 00 00

now your file first 4 byte should be also edit to 25 09 00 00, add 4 for from the file size to match it and your save should be able to play.

i have already try to convert from switch to PC save and edit and reconvert back to Switch with the first 4 byte data size add 4, it work.
and also i have direct copy PC save and convert to Switch with change the first 4 byte by the file size add 4, also work.

hope this can help and also hope you guy can understand what i means

Last edited by jin521rin,

alxrite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@alxrite

Hope you don't mind for me to add a bit of step for your edit for those who have "Save Data Damaged" when try to load files that convert to PC and reconvert too switch

this step is also work for those who want to convert PC save to Switch to continue to play
you should follow @alxrite guide until step 15

but at the step 16, you can try to edit the first 4 byte.

here what i means, when follow alxrite step 10, you have your new file size 21 09 00 00, and when you copy all and paste write as the step 15, you 04 byte should also show 21 09 00 00

now your file first 4 byte should be also edit to 25 09 00 00, add 4 for from the file size to match it and your save should be able to play.

i have already try to convert from switch to PC save and edit and reconvert back to Switch with the first 4 byte data size add 4, it work.
and also i have direct copy PC save and convert to Switch with change the first 4 byte by the file size add 4, also work.

hope this can help and also hope you guy can understand what i means

You are correct. I should've updated this. It is only needed if the original file size byte 1 is too far off from byte 4. If it is "close enough" then the file will still load.

Tere Valentin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish to edit my own savefile and give myself the following things:
--Max stats for every character
--have all items in inventor
--have max ammount of all items in inventory.

Via hex editing, what do I need to search and change? Any help is deeply appreciated.

alxrite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish to edit my own savefile and give myself the following things:
--Max stats for every character
--have all items in inventor
--have max ammount of all items in inventory.

Via hex editing, what do I need to search and change? Any help is deeply appreciated.

You will need to convert your save to a .ff8 save file and then edit it with Hyne to get all those things.

Tere Valentin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will need to convert your save to a .ff8 save file and then edit it with Hyne to get all those things.
Worst timing for my homenet to die x.x so im stuck with phonenet.
Any chance theres a starter Switch save posted here with just Max ammount of all items from inventory? Having all GFs feels too OP.

cobaltsieg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Edit: My bad. It helps when you follow directions. I didn't copy over the Hyne save in it's entirety into the Switch save, which is why it kept failing.

I fixed my stupid!

Last edited by cobaltsieg,

Soli

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw, man... after reading all of this amazing information, I realize its likely totally useless to me. None of this save editing is going to be possible on my unmodded Switch running 9.0.0, is it? Bummer.

There's nothing out there that can extract my save files from the microSD card that FF8 is on, right?

cobaltsieg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw, man... after reading all of this amazing information, I realize its likely totally useless to me. None of this save editing is going to be possible on my unmodded Switch running 9.0.0, is it? Bummer.

There's nothing out there that can extract my save files from the microSD card that FF8 is on, right?

Naw, you're gonna have to install Atmosphere on your Switch to be able to backup and restore saves, man. Atmosphere supports 9.0.0, but only if you have a hackable Switch. So check your serial number and get yourself a jig if you've got a hackable Switch.

Reactions: Soli

Ichisuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tried to edit a switch save.... But I still get damaged data when loading. Also I noted that after copying the edited save to the original one there is much more data.... So maybe I've edited too much things or use incorrect values in the editor....???
If I just edit the amount of money the save will load correctly.... so what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Ichisuke,

Soli

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Naw, you're gonna have to install Atmosphere on your Switch to be able to backup and restore saves, man. Atmosphere supports 9.0.0, but only if you have a hackable Switch. So check your serial number and get yourself a jig if you've got a hackable Switch.

Will do! Thank you so much! Fingers crossed.

Artemis21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried to convert my steam saves to switch but every time I try to load the game it shows grey stripes and it crashes. I followed the guide but it seems I can't get the filesize right, can anybody help?

Attachments

• FF8Saves.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 134

Dejahvoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm using Hyne 1.9.3a at ,
It can open
upload_2019-9-22_9-52-50.png

Then I edit, just all item
I'm not kinda grinding type, just play for the story
upload_2019-9-22_9-53-52.png

And then I save the same file (replace), I got warning
upload_2019-9-22_9-54-55.png

I clicked OK, I try reload then load the game
upload_2019-9-22_9-55-57.png

It work ?
Or it gonna crash or I'm gonna encountered something to my laptop, or something ?
upload_2019-9-22_9-58-35.png

Edit 9/22/2019 :
I think it work, I'm used Solomon ring Item for Doomtrain GF and Magical Lamp for Diablos GF
upload_2019-9-22_10-3-13.png

Proof :
upload_2019-9-22_10-3-29.png

Last edited by Dejahvoe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1