1. doomtrigger

OP doomtrigger GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Or know of a working save editor for ff8 remastered?

2. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It looks like the steam remastered version can load original PC saves if you copy them over. Not sure how that gets us to the Switch though.

3. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    It depends on if they remade the save file on the switch, and if it's editable in a way it can still be read?

4. Bigkahuna28

Bigkahuna28 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    should be the same i can test if you all want
    just need a save file

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

ff8 file type

5. Taz030485

Taz030485 Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    I have posted my switch save file to the qhimm forum where hyne is developed, so hopefully they can update it to support switch save files soon.

6. yuno89

yuno89 Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    I was going to ask exactly the same thing: it would be awesome if they will update Hyne to use it with Switch's saves.

7. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I guess the steam remaster was specifically programmed to convert the old PC version files, because they won't inject via Edizon properly, nor can Hyne open exported switch saves as PC saves.

8. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Switch saves and PC saves of the remaster are identical.
    the difference is, pc stores some data external, while on Switch it's build into the save.

to convert a Switch save to PC:

- open ff8slot00 with a hex editor
    - look at the first 4 bytes, it tells you how big the save is
    - select 0x04 - length from the first 4 bytes (example: first 4 = 0x8D4, then select 0x4 - 0x8D7)
    - save the selection as a new file with the extension ".ff8"

then you can open the switch save with Hyne.
    the reverse also works, but you need to calculate the first 4 bytes after editing.

9. IMnoob

IMnoob GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
    thanks falo :D.for the guide. now i can edit my save. This also applies to other slots, right?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  10. yuno89

yuno89 Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Lucky you :D I still trying to understand which are the first 4 bytes:D This could be the first time I use a Hex editor but, at least until now, I'm stuck.

IMnoob likes this.
  11. IMnoob

IMnoob GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
    4 byte means colloum 04 / 5 row from left. on hex editor there are colloum 00 01 02 03 04 09 0a 0b 0c 0e 0f. so for your btye is colloum 04 on uper left

yuno89 likes this.
  12. fizyboy

fizyboy Member
    Newcomer

Malaysia
    @IMnoob can you share your modded save file please? i tried to do it myself but these hex stuff is way beyond me :rofl2:

13. Khalyus

Khalyus GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    can u post a noobprof guide with pictures ._...???

14. alxrite

alxrite Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I want to understand this and I would like to do it on my own. But, I am stuck.

My first 4 bytes are 26 09 00 00 which would be 2342 file size right? So from here, I am unsure of where to copy and make a new file. How are you getting where to start and where to end to make the new .ff8 file?

Then the matter will be, when I am done with that, I just have to enter the hex amount into the first 4 bytes again to set the new file size so the game knows where to read the save from?[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. alxrite

alxrite Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Oh ok. I think I got the first part!

Let me edit this and reverse it and I will share how to do it and help those that need it. Give me a minute, figuring it all out.

Step 1: Open your Hex editor (Mine is HxD) and open your Switch file ff8slot00
    step1.jpg
    Step 2: Look at the first 4 bytes: this tells you how long your save file is, no need to convert: Mine is 26 09 00 00 (read right to left) 00 00 09 26 Mine is 926
    (If yours is something like: 34 08 00 00, it will be, 00 00 08 34 = 834​
    step2.jpg

Step 3: Select 04 (byte)
    step1.jpg
    Step 4: In HxD I can right click and "Select Block" a byte: type in 926 (yours will/could be different)
    Capture2.JPG
    Step 5: It will highlight a block of code. Copy this and Ctrl+N to make a new file
    Capture3.JPG
    Step 6: Paste the block
    Capture4.JPG
    Step 7: Save the file to ff8slot00.ff8
    Capture5.JPG
    Step 8: Open in hyne
    Capture6.JPG
    Edit how you like!

Figured it out!

Step 9: After you have made the changes to your save file in Hyne. You will open the save back into your hex editor.
    Capture8.JPG
    Step 10: You will see the new file size, mine is 00 00 09 21 = 921.
    Capture8.JPG
    Step 11: Copy all the info, Ctrl+A
    Capture3.JPG
    Step 12: Go to the ORIGINAL ff8slot00 file from Step 1.
    step1.jpg
    Step 13: On byte 04 in my ORIGINAL ff8slot00 the byte is 22. Highlight that.
    step1.jpg
    Step 14: you will now right click and "Select Block" again. Now I would type in 921 as that is my new file size.
    Capture7.JPG
    Step 15: Paste in the new info Ctrl+B (Paste Write)
    Capture10.JPG
    Step 16: This left me with 5 bytes of extra data that was now not needed. I just typed in 00 00 00 00 00. This cleared the info on the end of the save file.

Step 17: Load your save file and if you did it right, you should be able to play the game with your new edits.

Notes: Your save file should be 10,244 when you are done editing. If it is lower or higher, you will need to go in just after your save info and add/delete some bytes. 1 byte per 1 you are off from 10,244. This should fix it if it is not loading or you are getting an error trying to boot the game. This is what happened to me and this is what I did to remedy it.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to message me if you need help!

Attached Files:

josef77, doomtrigger, AlexVB and 6 others like this.
  16. RazorDin

RazorDin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks! Much easier to understand!

Khalyus likes this.
  17. IMnoob

IMnoob GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
    actually there is an easy way.

18. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'll leave alxrite to make a nice guide but...

The trick to importing a save into switch, aside from filling the first four bytes with the size of the actual save data, is you need to pad out the rest of the file. I think the idea is that all Switch ff8 save files must be the same size, which is 10,244 bytes. Edit: you can just insert a huge amount of 00s after the data to fill the file to end on hex offset 2803. Then I was able to import the save through Edizon and play it.

Also be sure to zero any custom controls or wierd configs inside your save with Hyne, the Switch doesn't have access to all the config options!

IMnoob likes this.
  19. alxrite

alxrite Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If I do mine from my example, which would be 922 hyne will not open the new file with that info I paste as in the save I am missing 4 bytes of info. But, if I use 926, hyne opens the file and I can edit it. I am still figuring this out, so any info helps for sure.

I am able to edit it, I am just now trying to reverse it. I came back with 902 file size after editing. I pasted it in the switch file and erased the rest of the bytes with 00s. The game boots and I can pick the save, but the game freezes and I get green artifacts all over the screen. I am guessing I just need to leave the "junk" at the end of the file? Going to try some things now.

Hey, any help is always appreciated. I am just trying to figure this out on my own and help out if I can. I like to learn things as I go so this is fun for me.

Ok... so I was able to edit mine and reverse it. But, I am not sure how I did it? I got lost and messed up my original save. Trying to repair it (because I was an idiot and didn't back it up) I was able to load the edit which before I was unable to do so. So, now I am going to try to figure out what I did.

IMnoob likes this.
  20. IMnoob

IMnoob GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
    902 cant not be opened?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - remastered, fantasy, anyone