Has anyone been able to connect a DS to a PC wirelessly?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by belomeclone, Sep 3, 2010.

1. belomeclone
    OP

Newcomer belomeclone Member

United States
    Alright. I'm asking you guys (since you would be the go-to group) despite having no abilities myself. I'm asking for nostalgia purposes only, really.

So, some cool guys made Dolphin, right? And they have the ability for GCN -> GBA compatibility for the games that support it. Now, I loved that when I had a Gamecube. In fact, I've (wisely? foolishly?) kept my GBA SP to use with Pac Man Vs. (and never have...) So, I love the idea.

Now, I love the idea of the Wii and DS connectivity, even though it never took off for random, stupid reasons. BUT the DS does have a range of wireless options, from Wifi to, whatever way it connects to other DSes and the Wii itself. So I was wondering if we could get the DS to connect to a PC for use with Dolphin via emulating the GBA portion for GCN games, or for Wii -> DS games. Maybe it would involve a Homebrew app. I have no idea!! Is it even in the realm of possibility?

It'd be nice to sit on the couch with some friends playing Zelda again, is all I'm saying.

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    There are ways to connect PC to DS, DS2Win and Win2DS is an example, but that's remote desktop and not what you're looking for.

But anyway.. Wifi on the DS is in most cases capped at 15kb/s.
    I haven't seen it for myself, but people say that DSLinux can get significantly higher, up to 100kb/s I believe, using a different Wifi lib than the one Nintendo (and nearly every wifi supporting homebrew) uses.

3. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    Do you think we could get the DS, with homebrew, to talk to the PC over Wifi? Imitating the GBA-GCN link? Including the DSi?

4. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    None of the coders reading this? Or do I need to find some IRC chat somewhere with my idea?

5. powerfull Tails

Newcomer powerfull Tails Advanced Member

Canada
    are you trying to play mutly player between your ds and pc ds emu or are you trying to emulate some wii ds thing?

6. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    I am trying to devise a way that would allow the DS to interact with a PC running the Dolphin Software. For one way, running homebrew, to act as a GBA in a GBA/GCN connection. For another, less pressing matter, to run as a Wii-DS connection.

7. dan_was_here9901

Banned dan_was_here9901 Banned

Australia
    Dolphin has that built in
    Well Here's what you do:
    Step 1. turn on dophin
    Step2.go into the configuration thingy
    Step 3. Jump off a cliff

8. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    Bumping this. Certainly developers must come to this part of the forum! If not, anyone know where I could get their attention? A chat room maybe?

9. MrCooper

Member MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I guess you could try ssh in DSlinux but the speed would be limited because of the shitty wifi

10. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    I figure, if not on the DS, that the 3DS should be better suited for this role.

11. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Well... AFAIK, the WiFi speed is only a problem with the normal WiFi lib.
    DSLinux, which uses a modified WiFi lib, can get up to 100KB/s (as opposed to the ~15KB/s), so if someone was to write the app, they should be able to grab the WiFi lib from DSLinux and use that.

12. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    yes they have but back in the day

13. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    Do any of you think it is possible to use a DS as a Dolphin Emulator's GBA attachment?

14. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    The DS can't connect to a Wii in Gamecube mode because the DS can't broadcast GBA data over wifi. I don't think it would matter much if a PC with a Wii emulator was involved.

15. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    Well, I asked in this topic if it'd be possible to write a program for the DS that would allow it to trick the Emulator into thinking it was a GBA. That's the whole point of the topic. Maybe I should make a new Topic with a new Topic Title.

16. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    wouldnt think its impossible, just a lot of work for something that doesnt seem to lend itself to being useful in the long run.

17. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    I wouldn't see how this is possible, as this would require multitasking, which the currently available flashcarts aren't able to do.

18. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    Well, it would just be an App? A piece of homebrew. And that homebrew would be emulating the state that GBA receives communication in.

I mean, I assume it would have to have access to Wifi, which could be what makes it impossible. I guess I should bring this topic up once the 3DS Homebrew Scene matures.

19. Swifty1992

Newcomer Swifty1992 Member

Australia
    No, it would be multitasking. You would be both emulating a GBA and simultaneously transferring the data to your computer. Seeing some of the compatability issues we have with existing GBA emulators full stop, good luck with that.

20. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    You are needlessly rude.