Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title.

My computer has a sd card reader slot built in. I just wanted to know if its possible to put the sd card directly in without using usb or would this cause a brick. Is their something in the usb adaptors that cotrols the eMMC chip?

Reactions: olec04

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I seriously wouldn't suggest deviating if you have to ask. This isn't meant to be mean, but if you have to ask this question, then you most likely will end up bricking your system if you don't know what you are doing.
Most likely there's been tests in private. Considering no one has made a guide for it, I am going to assume it didn't go well

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the replies you got were to the question you posed. If I am reading you right you are asking if you are able to directly solder the wires between the points on the 3DS and an SD card with no USB port/cable mod. Yes, you can do that but you would have to cut a hole in the back shell to fit the SD card inside if you wanted to leave it in.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think he just means using a internal sd reader....which yeah will work fine in most cases as long as the reader is compatible with the 3DS nand, up until I did my first 2ds which wasn't compatible with my laptop reader that is all I was using

the compatible reader lists are there for people to be able to go buy one that works if theirs doesnt, I wouldn't go suggest someone go buy the same laptop as me to read/write their nand XD

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ArmoredGuns1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to hardmod two O3DS plugging the soldered microSD to SD adapter directly into my laptop's SD card reader. It worked fine.

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he just means using a internal sd reader....which yeah will work fine in most cases as long as the reader is compatible with the 3DS nand, up until I did my first 2ds which wasn't compatible with my laptop reader that is all I was using

the compatible reader lists are there for people to be able to go buy one that works if theirs doesnt, I wouldn't go suggest someone go buy the same laptop as me to read/write their nand XD
Yes this is exactly what i mean. My computer has a built in sd card reader.

I was able to hardmod two O3DS plugging the soldered microSD to SD adapter directly into my laptop's SD card reader. It worked fine.

mind if i ask what do i need to do differently. From my understanding the steps are
Insert sd card into usb adaptor but not computer than boot 3ds xl and it will pop up bootrom error.
For direct computer do i just plug sd card in first than boot 3ds xl?
What steps did you take?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You plug in the SD card and then boot up. Windows will complain that it needs to format the drive (brick the 3DS) so decline that and start Win32DiskImager to dump the NAND. I always would eject the card and put it back in before I dumped the second and third times for more "error proofing" since the image is encrypted and you can't tell that it is good beyond the right size. Then use a file comparing tool to verify the dumps against each other. If there are any mismatches then go back and check your solder job. Otherwise, you can be pretty sure it was dumped successfully and mess with your system.

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You plug in the SD card and then boot up. Windows will complain that it needs to format the drive (brick the 3DS) so decline that and start Win32DiskImager to dump the NAND. I always would eject the card and put it back in before I dumped the second and third times for more "error proofing" since the image is encrypted and you can't tell that it is good beyond the right size. Then use a file comparing tool to verify the dumps against each other. If there are any mismatches then go back and check your solder job. Otherwise, you can be pretty sure it was dumped successfully and mess with your system.
boot up the computer or can the computer be on for insert into cvomputer than boot 3ds xl?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.