Misc Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I got 3 3ds total so in theory I could seed with one, and see how the other 2 react. Not in a position to test again for a bit though.

Also you can use security with any of these SSIDs as long as you set it up as a connection, so it doesn't have to Bestbuy specifically

arapozo

Trophies
XP
Country
So let me see if I understand how this work.

If I want to streetpass with someone:
Set up my "NintendoZone" SSID spoofed hotspot with a particular MAC Address.
Have my 3ds connect to that hotspot.
Then my friend across the world does the same and uses the same SSID and MAC Address as I did.

And he should receive my data?

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Someone else must have grabbed it between me listing it and you trying again. I'm going to be unable to test for a little while, so if you and someone else want to play around with it privately go for it. It's easier for you to test since you have multiple 3DS's.
As I said above, you can use mac whitelist so only your 3DS mac can connect to the router. And in the future we will try to see which servers the 3ds connects to and only allow people to access those.

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
So let me see if I understand how this work.

If I want to streetpass with someone:
Set up my "NintendoZone" SSID spoofed hotspot with a particular MAC Address.
Have my 3ds connect to that hotspot.
Then my friend across the world does the same and uses the same SSID and MAC Address as I did.

And he should receive my data?
Yes see my sign for a couple of guides.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Ok so I got 3 3ds total so in theory I could seed with one, and see how the other 2 react. Not in a position to test again for a bit though.

Also you can use security with any of these SSIDs as long as you set it up as a connection, so it doesn't have to Bestbuy specifically
Really?
Btw just passed someone from Canada with unspellable name. Using Bestbuy and :46.

Sascha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just tried to follow the guide for Android posted earlier in this thread. I set up the AP, changed my mac and waited for like a minute. My 3DS recognized the AP and showed me, I could use the Nintendo Zone here. But still it didn't change the icon on the top left from Streetpass to Internet. Got no SP. Using the Nintendo zone viewer is just bringing up an error. I tried another mac but it's just the same.
Any ideas?

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said above, you can use mac whitelist so only your 3DS mac can connect to the router. And in the future we will try to see which servers the 3ds connects to and only allow people to access those.

That doesn't work for those not using a router to do this. I am using a USB wifi connector, there is no option within it's software to whitelist my 3ds. I do have WEP/WPA/WPA2 for security, but my 3DS doesn't play well with the security from that software.

But here's the main thing regarding this. If you are not using your main/only wifi connection, you do not have to have it broadcasting 24/7 like this. With the 8 hour lockout you only have to do a quick run through of whatever MAC(s) you want to use and then shut the connection off.

Reactions: signz

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
That doesn't work for those not using a router to do this. I am using a USB wifi connector, there is no option within it's software to whitelist my 3ds. I do have WEP/WPA/WPA2 for security, but my 3DS doesn't play well with the security from that software.

But here's the main thing regarding this. If you are not using your main/only wifi connection, you do not have to have it broadcasting 24/7 like this. With the 8 hour lockout you only have to do a quick run through of whatever MAC(s) you want to use and then shut the connection off.
If you are using the script you can also add that

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are using the script you can also add that

Not using a script...

I have a USB Wifi connector on my Windows 7 machine. It is bridge to my ethernet connection for internet access. The softap software I am using does not have those types of options.
http://i.imgur.com/q1av73m.jpg <--- that has all of the possible options shown in it.

I do my MAC spoofing via the Windows Registry, although there might be a program able to do it easier than changing the registry by hand.

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Not using a script...

I have a USB Wifi connector on my Windows 7 machine. It is bridge to my ethernet connection for internet access. The softap software I am using does not have those types of options.
http://i.imgur.com/q1av73m.jpg <--- that has all of the possible options shown in it.

I do my MAC spoofing via the Windows Registry, although there might be a program able to do it easier than changing the registry by hand.
Oh your using windows, ya i dont see how, maybe using a firewall of some sort, and you aren't going to be running that at all the time anyways

mebben

Trophies
XP
Country
Man this is really annoying. With my iMac I can setup everything correct... I get a working Nintendo Zone app etc... internet works and so on.. but I get _zero_ hits on streetpass. What's up with that? :/ Tried all the 5 mac addresses and a few others.

Edit: I've tried both attwifi and _The Cloud

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh your using windows, ya i dont see how, maybe using a firewall of some sort, and you aren't going to be running that at all the time anyways

If I could spoof my router's Guest wireless MAC I would be using that and still wouldn't keep it broadcasting 24/7. There is no reason to keep these connections running 24/7 unless they are a primary connection for your household.

Man this is really annoying. With my iMac I can setup everything correct... I get a working Nintendo Zone app etc... internet works and so on.. but I get _zero_ hits on streetpass. What's up with that? :/ Tried all the 5 mac addresses and a few others.

Use only 1 SSID. Do you have another wifi connection that your 3ds normally uses to connect? It might be ignoring the hotspot setup and using your normal setup. I have to change my normal 3ds connection settings to something else (change a letter in the SSID) when I want to do the streetpass thing.

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal

Chekc the thread on my sign theres a guide for MacOSx

mebben

Trophies
XP
Country
Use only 1 SSID. Do you have another wifi connection that your 3ds normally uses to connect? It might be ignoring the hotspot setup and using your normal setup. I have to change my normal 3ds connection settings to something else (change a letter in the SSID) when I want to do the streetpass thing.

I've actually removed the normal wifi connection from the 3DS, so it's actually not connected to a wifi from the settings. So I know it's actually hooking up automatically with the fake connection. I've also tried restarting the 3DS, turning on and off Wifi on it/on the iMac/letting it wait for +10 min... but still nothing :/

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So what ssid we should all use then?
That's what I'd like to know as well now.
Also, I probably misunderstood the whole "Bestbuy + WPA2" thing as "it has to use WPA, not can use it" - does it matter if the Bestbuy SSID is secure or not?

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last part.
So what ssid we should all use then?
Oh, I don't know. _The Cloud wouldn't be a good choice because the _ . I'm not a fan of Bestbuy at all as the final choice because you have to have it setup in your 3DS as a connection as well if I remember right, and anytime i setup a nintendo zone as a connection i had to power cycle the 3DS with each MAC change and sometimes even reboot my router. This just creates another potential failure point for most people who haven't even got it to work at all. SSID still may not even matter. There's been no definite answer and I hadn't had the chance to test it internally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O