Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by RemixDeluxe, Aug 6, 2013.

1. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Old skool member

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    The left side
    or you know you can get up and go walking

EMP Knightmare likes this.
  2. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I've been doing "Bestbuy" and it detects the Nintendo Zone just fine. Ill try "attwifi" later I guess.

Because you know everyone has easy access to streetpass. Its not like its dependent on other 3DS owners to work or anything like that.
    /sarcasm

Slamicite likes this.
  3. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    I don't think this is nifi. I didn't get my streetpass at McD's until I connected to the attwifi ssid -- then the streetpass occurred which would suggest this is all wifi driven.

Makes sense since it would be expensive to retrofit 1000's of hotspots with nifi compat. Nintendo is cheep-cheep.

CompassNorth likes this.
  4. Cjuub

Cjuub GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2006
    I just updated my 3DS and decided to test a few things since I have another 3DS close as well.

I disconnected both systems from my normal router, I then created a portable wifi hotspot from my phone with SSID "_The Cloud" with no security. As known before this will make the 3DS think it's in a Nintendo Zone. Then, having both systems closed made them both get a streetpass... I found this weird since I had just gotten a streetpass the normal way. So I repeated the process, I turned off my portable hotspot, checked Mii Plaza on the 3DS (to clear the streetpass) and then started the hotspot again... And sure enough, I got another Streetpass in both 3DS systems.

I have repeated this a few times now and as far as my tests goes it works everytime, hence breaking the 8 hour wait between streetpass hits with two 3DS systems.

SignZ and Dartz150 like this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    This topic intrigues me. Are we talking either a streetpass darknet or a streetpass replay server? I guess it could be both at the same time as well.

"Nintendo said"
    They might have tried though I would not place too much stock in the words of the party under attack (do you really believe "behind the scenes improvements" are just that after all?). Assuming a replay if the software itself does some modifying then it either modifies unsigned code and is replicable, has the keys to resign that data onboard and is worth cracking open/attacking* for them or speaks to Nintendo's servers and might still be worth a look as you might at least be able to clone a server.

*technically this would be the classical unfettered access to an oracle attack.

This was documented well enough (headerless standard wifi would be the short version of that) and theoretically quite possible. Trouble was not every wifi card had the capability of pulling this off (even stuff that works with the likes of aircrack would not have done) and it might have had to be rewritten for specific models which just makes things an endless support nightmare for not much gain, doubly so seen as basically every other game got wifi by the time you accounted for all the regions.

EZ-Megaman and CompassNorth like this.
  6. SignZ

SignZ Timelord

Jul 16, 2008
    Germany
    That's great news! Now I only wish you could get your own data that way. :(

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  7. dicamarques

dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    Your computer's Recycle Bin
    I think its a normal router. Here in Portugal a ISP has associate with Fon so users that are Zon can make their router a fon hotspot and also freely access other fon hotspots.
    Im sayng this becaus these hotspots are also nzone hotspots.
    Too bad i dont have that isp. But has people with several 3ds have tested here you just need a router with that ssid and bam free streetpasses

8. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Do I have to change the SSID on my router or can I simply do this with a hotspot on my phone?

9. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I was able to get an extra streetpass on one of the two 3DSes that are with me, after that it refused to do it again. Is there something I'm missing?

10. chemistryfreak

chemistryfreak GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Yeah the same thing happened to me!

Last edited by chemistryfreak, Oct 13, 2015
  11. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Did anyone manage to figure this out?

12. dicamarques

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    Try getting a new public ip (power off all the router and see if it changed)

13. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Am I gonna have to do this everytime I want to fake a Nintendo network and get multiple streetpasses between two systems or just this one time only? Also I use "attwifi" as the header right? Just making sure.

14. dicamarques

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    yes because nintendo uses your ip as id

15. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Are you asking me to power down my router or reset it? cause I powered it down for 30 mins and its still not working.

16. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Yes to what? please be more specific.

17. ItsMetaKnight

ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2008
    Are you sure about that? Many ISPs have dynamic IPs and that should also apply to actual Nintendo Zones as well. Would kinda break the system.

18. chemistryfreak

chemistryfreak GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Alright after reading about how the new streetpass relay system works, I have manage to get it to work with my 3DS.

Here is what you need:
    2x 3DS
    Smartphone

Here is what I did:
    1. Setup _My Cloud hotspot using any smartphone
    2. Disconnected both systems from normal router preventing it from connecting to the internet
    3. Disable wireless on one of the 3DS
    4. Wait until one of the 3DS is connected to the Nintendo Zone then re-enable wireless on the 2nd 3DS
    5. When the 2nd 3DS receive a streetpass tag, disable the wireless hotspot and the 1st 3DS will get a streetpass tag.
    5. Voila both 3DS gets StreetPass tags!

Hope this helps! XD

Last edited by chemistryfreak, Oct 13, 2015
  19. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

pip Developer
    May 29, 2009
    United States
    The IPs shouldn't change THAT often. They're dynamic in the sense that it COULD change at any time for any reason. Chances are that it will be the same for at least a day or two.

20. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Can this work infinity or just one extra pass in between the 8 hour limit?

Also do I have to connect the 3DS systems to the hotspot network or simply just have them near it?

Also thank you for posting.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted