Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by RemixDeluxe, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Jimbolicious

Jimbolicious GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States
    Last guy I got was from New Jersey so I would have got you.

2. mangaguy

mangaguy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2008
    United States

https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list
    1. Download 3.3 beta 2. (although 3.4 experimental should work).
    2. Change SSID to attwifi
    3. Enable Mac Address Spoof
    4. Change MAC to whatever you need.
    5. Wait for a minute. You should connect automatically shortly, and then a streetpass should follow.

That app is the most simple method of doing this on a rooted Android device for me so far because it has the spoofing mechanism in the tether application. I am currently looking for another tether application that would allow for spaces in SSID and use of the MAC Address Ghost app, which allows for profiles of MAC Addresses.

The most data I've used is 100 kbs down and 500 kbs up with a hit. But YMMV, watch the meter.

3. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 16, 2013
    Vietnam
    I was going to post this as well, got it from another guy on nvn.
    If you want multiple mac profiles, use ti backup.

mangaguy likes this.
  4. BroBuzz

BroBuzz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2013
    United States
    It's only displaying one Mac Address in the Clone Mac Address Setup Tab for my router. Shouldn't there be two?

5. Tane

Tane GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States
    DERP Ignore, found my answer.

6. caitsith2

caitsith2 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2004
    Canada
    a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
    Also, not only did I get neocrux's mii, I got jimbo's Theatrhythym Final Fantasy data. This means this data is only overwritten if you happen to have streetpass setup for the specific game.

Now what would be ideal, is to find out exactly what server the 3DS connects to for streetpass relay, so that I can do an explicit white-listing policy, so that Other 3DSs in the local area can hit the spot, without other non-3DS devices using the AP for free internet access.

7. Tane

Tane GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States

Now THAT would be cool :) Report back if you find anything out in this regard.

EDIT: A good firewall with proper traffic logging could probably find this out... but it also could be a whole series of different servers/IPs, so it might take some trial & error.

8. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 16, 2013
    Vietnam
    Anyone got my data?

9. Kibouzen

Kibouzen Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2012
    Gambia, The
    40:53:50:4F:4F:45 works

10. Supernovakid

Supernovakid I am not new, I am Royalty

Mar 11, 2013
    In front of a 3d screen
    i figured how to do it without spoofing the mac adress

11. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 16, 2013
    Vietnam
    How?

12. Supernovakid

Mar 11, 2013
    In front of a 3d screen
    Well it is complicated, but you just have to go to a nintendo zone, they hid their internet connection, but i got a program that unlocks it, so now i have their settings, so just copied them to my house

13. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    This is great work. I've been able to do this using my Synology DS 212+ using the built-in Wireless Hotspot feature, but whenever I enable it, dnsmasq stops working. If I enable dnsmasq again, the Wireless Hotspot breaks. Going to try hostapd when I have the chance. If I can get that working flawlessly I may write a script to download the MAC list and automate cycling every hour or so.

What an absolutely fantastic contribution to the thread. Here, others are senselessly throwing ideas and solutions back and forth to help each other, but you're much smarter than that because you keep yours to yourself. I applaud you for recognising that knowledge is power and admire your aspirations for proverbial tyranny.

14. Tane

Tane GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States

Can you elaborate? I'm interested.

I was curious about potentially spoofing the MAC of an actual Nintendo Zone Relay. Then you would get the StreetPasses from people actually hitting that Relay in the physical location.

15. Jimbolicious

Aug 8, 2013
    United States
    Wait... you mean you got a WLAN MAC Address off a Nintendo Zone? That's pretty unnecessary (cause we made our own :) ) and still wouldn't give us the ability as we have now to do it at a distance.

16. jhjsaat

jhjsaat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2006
    Argentina
    San Juan, AR
    Please keep using my Mac!!

Please use: _The Cloud
    With mac: 34:08:04:BF:AC:8A / 340804BFAC8A

17. Supernovakid

Mar 11, 2013
    In front of a 3d screen
    Sorry, but this is a personal thing that i have found for myself, because once everyone starts using it, streetpass relay will be pointless, so thank you for being curious but sorry, i don't want this new update to go to waste for everyone. Spoofing the ip is a good idea, for geniuses, who know computers, because 90% of nintendo players don't know what it means.

18. Jimbolicious

Aug 8, 2013
    United States
    See I was kinda hitting at that in that Reddit thread to you when I said I didn't think it worked, but it seems kinda pointless to do like a Nintendo Zone near me. I mean I got a tag from one of my DSes to the other a day later. You'd only be getting the same people we're getting with our MACS. Now if we knew the mac of say like the Nintendo Zone at the Nintendo Store in New York that'd be interesting, though so many people would hit it we'd probably not get many actual people there like Reggie.

19. Tane

Tane GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States

Then why post about it? If it's such a secret, and personal keep it yourself and don't flaunt it or even post. That's just being arrogant. We're trying to help others out here on the thread to find a nice way to get StreetPasses where they couldn't - sharing our knowledge, not hoarding it.

Yeah good point. There really is no point in hitting it since we have a large enough group of people hitting our current MACs. No need to cause more of a stir when we've created enough I would imagine.

Duo8 and SignZ like this.
  20. jhjsaat

jhjsaat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2006
    Argentina
    San Juan, AR

How will it go to waist? The zone will work as intended! You still will not be able to get more them 2 streetpass a day! And people like you will be able to get more people on the street pass inplace of the same hits :D