Has anyone actually escaped the softbrick loop of doom?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Ailuros27, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Ailuros27
    OP

Ailuros27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Knowing that someone - anyone - on a New 3DS has escaped the endless soft bricks once they start WITHOUT FORMATTING or otherwise losing ANY save data would give me the motivation to keep going.

Last edited by Ailuros27, Jan 11, 2016
  2. Pikasack

Pikasack What is a title

Apr 27, 2015
    Canada
    Have you tried formatting?
    It worked for me.

SirBeethoven likes this.
  3. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States
    I hate to break it to you, but the solution is formatting.

4. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Then I'm not doing it. If I have to, I'll do a hard mod or something.

5. SterneSchreien

SterneSchreien Naughty One

Jan 4, 2016
    Canada
    Had 4 softbricks in a row before fixing it by removing the Nintendo DS cartridge I had in my console and changing SD. But yeah, the only real fix is formatting.

730 likes this.
  6. Ailuros27
    OP

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    I'm confused. You said all you did was remove the cartridge and swap the SD card. But then you say the only real fix is formatting? Did you format or not?

7. SterneSchreien

SterneSchreien Naughty One

Jan 4, 2016
    Canada
    My problem got solved like this, but I've heard no one except me fixed it like this. Stars must've aligned themselves and I was chosen by Lord Helix to downgrade it seems.

I did not have to format but everyone else with the softbrick loop seems to have been forced to do it. That's why I told you it is the only real fix.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you have an update prompt on your sysNAND that could supposedly cause a soft brick too, but people don't seem quite sure what's actually causing the softbricks.

9. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States
    They didn't format. but they also only got 4 soft-bricks. I got well over a dozen at least, I formatted and it downgraded instantly. There have been several other users with the same issue (well over a dozen soft-bricks and trying everything).

Formatting is the fix to the constant soft-bricking. Some users get lucky and aren't plagued with eternal soft-bricks and only some soft-bricks.

Wouldn't the update prompt go away after updating back to 10.3 due to soft-bricking? The type we're talking about here is well over 10-12 soft-bricks.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If it helps, you can back up your actual save files by using SVDT and extdata_dump (for games like fantasy life that save to extdata). And then restore them after the format. You don't lose the games either, since you can relink your NNID and just download them again (or pirate ;P).

So really the only stuff lost are: game notes, friends list/friendcode, Street Pass Plaza, and a couple other things that you can't backup.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It would, but yeah, a lot of the bricks are just unexplainable. Some of them are probably just menuhax conflicting.

11. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States
    Yea, I assumed by "soft brick loop of doom" we're talking about the "tried everything, but still soft bricking over a dozen times" club. :P.

12. LeSpaz

LeSpaz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I'm on an old 3ds and probably have soft bricked 2 or 3 dozen times.

Gonna make one hell of a squishy house with all these soft bricks!

But yeah, really trying to avoid formatting system.
    4-5 years of traveling with this thing for all those streetpasses...really too hard for me to let go without anyway of backing it up.
    (Was hoping to downgrade so i would be able to make a NAND backup haha...) i have more or leas 2-3 hours before servers shut down and i can't update to 10.3

13. Xeonhawk

Xeonhawk GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    United States
    You have to opportunity to downgrade to an exploitable firmware, the timeframe window is closing and your biggest concern is losing your streetpasses?

I lost ALL of my eshop games because I had to format. Kinda sucks but best tradeoff ever

Ar7ific1al likes this.
  14. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    No real reason not to format your SysNAND if you're stuck in a soft-brick loop. I went through 9 soft-bricks - that's right, NINE - before I tried formatting and it worked flawlessly. You can re-link your NNID and download your purchased content after formatting. As for game saves, I'm sure you can back them up with homebrew and restore them with homebrew. I might be wrong, though; do research first.

15. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Simple.. Don't downgrade. Outside of trying a different MSD.. then who knows.

16. lynismybae

lynismybae Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    I just wanted to clear up something:

When you guys refer to formatting, are you talking about the console or the SD card? And at what point should you perform this step?

17. Xeonhawk

Xeonhawk GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    United States
    Formatting the system. This step must be done after several softbricks from attempting to downgrade. It literally solved the problem for me.

18. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    console, and before you downgrade.

there really needs to be some research into this, since formatting isn't a solution for some people.

19. Xeonhawk

Xeonhawk GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    United States
    Seems to solve the problem... for me and a few other people who posted here on this thread.

20. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    I mean because formatting resets a lot of things like friend code and whatnot.