dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been considering buying an iPhone when Verizon begins selling them on Thursday. But it seems ludicrous that they charge separately for using the phone as a modem, and on a limited bandwidth plan to add insult to injury. I never had that problem with the past two providers.

I'm just curious about user feedback on running MyWi on a jailbroken iPhone, and whether it really circumvents these bullshit charges.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
dib said:
I've been considering buying an iPhone when Verizon begins selling them on Thursday. But it seems ludicrous that they charge separately for using the phone as a modem, and on a limited bandwidth plan to add insult to injury. I never had that problem with the past two providers.

I'm just curious about user feedback on running MyWi on a jailbroken iPhone, and whether it really circumvents these bullshit charges.
MiWi does work.
(but i don't understand. why would you want it to teather your internet form your iPhone to your PC?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I use MyWi on my 3G iPad, and it works great.
smile.gif
I'd like to see how it and TetherMe (found in the BigBoss repo) compare, though.

Dter ic said:
dib said:

MiWi does work.
(but i don't understand. why would you want it to teather your internet form your iPhone to your PC?
It's great if you're on the go, and there are no Wi-Fi networks available.
wink.gif

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Dialexio said:
I use MyWi on my 3G iPad, and it works great.
smile.gif
I'd like to see how it and TetherMe (found in the BigBoss repo) compare, though.

Dter ic said:
dib said:

MiWi does work.
It's great if you're on the go, and there are no Wi-Fi networks available.
wink.gif
your thinking of my3G, which is different

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm, no, he has it right. He wants to take the Internet access that his phone gets and give it to his laptop for use when there's no wifi available. That's what MyWi does, and it's what the new app on the Verizon iPhone does.

My3G simply makes apps think they're on wifi when they're really on 3G, for circumventing download size limitations and degraded video quality. Completely different.

That said, I don't know what the status of MyWi on Verizon is. Before spending $20 you'll want to make sure it actually works.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Intelliborn pushed out an update yesterday, which added support for iOS 4.2.6 (iPhone 4 CDMA/Verizon model).
smile.gif

Unfortunately, the security of Wi-Fi tethering in MyWi is limited to the weak WEP for now. (iOS 4.2.6's Mobile Hotspot feature allows you to use WPA2-PSK.) Intelliborn promises that they'll have Infrastructure mode next week though, which would be able to provide WPA2-PSK security.

I don't mean to instill fear, but keep in mind that Verizon (as well as every other carrier) can tell if you're tethering, and may (not necessarily will) add an additional charge to your bill.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
How may I ask? If you're not using their particular tool how is it different from your phone accessing HTML sites as is?
Tethering shares your phone's EDGE or 3G connection with your laptop.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he was asking "How can they tell you're tethering if you're not using their mobile app?" to which I'd ask the same thing. I mean sure, they could look for unusual spikes of network usage, perhaps use deep packet inspection to find that you're accessing a lot more non-mobile versions of websites than usual, but beyond that I don't think they can actually tell if you're using MyWi.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how Verizon will act with people using it but I'm on AT&T and have been using it since the app was launched back on Rock app and I've never been charged a tethering fee. The new MyWi on demand hot spot is great and I bought the license for it right away.

dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On the issue of whether Verizon can tell, I've heard conflicting accounts so far. One person claims he was advised by his local rep that Verizon can't tell the difference and not to worry about it. I'm sure Verizon has some means if you're using the officially supported method, hence the topic because I will want to circumvent it. I'm not paying them an extra fee for the privilege of having throttled speeds and capped data transfers.

So far this sounds pretty reassuring. I'll have to look at that My3G too because it looks very useful. Of course, this is all dependent on my assumption that the Verizon phone can be jailbroken like the AT&T.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Its taking them a while to patch that exploit isn't it? Maybe they've decided to focus on improving the next Gen's security. With any luck they'll be susceptible to SHAtter.

dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I read something about Apple officially stating they wouldn't target any specific exploit in updates. As long as it's just the carrier and not whatever is protecting the actual OS, I'm sure they'll continue to turn a blind eye.

dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I got MyWi and it does everything it claims and does it all very well. It supports wifi adhoc connections which are great for PC/laptops and other Apple devices. Unfortunately, it means video game systems like PSP and DS aren't working yet, which was one of the main things I wanted to do. But at least I know Intelliborn are aware of this and are trying to accommodate.

It also supports bluetootch and even a USB tethered connection. And there are tools for adding WEP and monitoring which devices are connected to your phone, as well as how much up+down traffic. This is probably the best $20 I will ever spend on an iPhone app.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte