Gaming Harvest Moon tale of two towns hype thread

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always hype myself up for every Harvest Moon game that comes out on DS and I'm consistently disappointed. In fact, Rune Factory 3 is one of the only Natsume games to exceed my expectations. Still, I can't help but get excited because I really think they're finally gonna get it right this time. Bazaar was repetitive and lacked innovation(jumping yawn*) but I can sense that they are finally gonna get it right. It shouldn't be that hard to have a game that expands upon what they already built oh so many blue moons ago. This is the time to get it right; anyone else hyped to play this game when it comes out later this month?

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping this will be any good. I was always disappointed by Harvest Moon for basically having storylines that were exactly the same each time. If if deviates from the normal pattern of moving to new town, farming, marrying, saving your new home, farming, and farming, then maybe it'll be worthwhile to play. Any minigames the game has feel unpolished and more like they were done as an afterthought. The marrying is like a dating sim eaten by the protagonists of the Rune Factory series and flushed down the toilet later. The farming isn't too fun, either. It's repetitive button mashing. Why can't we have some VARIETY?!

Can't we get a Harvest Moon game where you start off as being a long-time resident of the town you play the game within? Can't there be more than just farming and afterthought minigames? Can't there be decent dating simulation to get to the marrying (as in, a lot more choices to make the marrying and the subsequent marriage a bit more interesting)? And what about the farming and cooking; can't we have little minigames in that too (such as, you can't sell anything you take from the ground until it's cleaned off sufficiently.. Or you have to do Cooking Mama-style minigames to prepare a meal)?

Coconut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sora de Eclaune said:
I'm hoping this will be any good. I was always disappointed by Harvest Moon for basically having storylines that were exactly the same each time. If if deviates from the normal pattern of moving to new town, farming, marrying, saving your new home, farming, and farming, then maybe it'll be worthwhile to play. Any minigames the game has feel unpolished and more like they were done as an afterthought. The marrying is like a dating sim eaten by the protagonists of the Rune Factory series and flushed down the toilet later. The farming isn't too fun, either. It's repetitive button mashing. Why can't we have some VARIETY?!

Can't we get a Harvest Moon game where you start off as being a long-time resident of the town you play the game within? Can't there be more than just farming and afterthought minigames? Can't there be decent dating simulation to get to the marrying (as in, a lot more choices to make the marrying and the subsequent marriage a bit more interesting)? And what about the farming and cooking; can't we have little minigames in that too (such as, you can't sell anything you take from the ground until it's cleaned off sufficiently.. Or you have to do Cooking Mama-style minigames to prepare a meal)?

Lol. Less farming. The point of harvest moon is the farming.
And if you want to prepare a meal, like you just said, play cooking mama.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Coconut said:
Lol. Less farming. The point of harvest moon is the farming.
And if you want to prepare a meal, like you just said, play cooking mama.
I don't mean less farming, I just want the farming to be more interesting, while also having other equally interesting things to do when you're out of money and have nothing to do with your crops all day and can't get any further in the dating portion of the game.

Well, I've played all the Cooking Mama games on the DS and have no access to the ones on the Wii.. I just REALLY want another Cooking Mama on the DS.

Gryphon93

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking forward for Harvest Moon - Tale of two Towns as well. It will be interesting to see how it differentiates from the earlier games in the series. What I find kind of sad, though, is that they're getting further and further away from the series' roots. I miss the "atmosphere" that was in those earlier games (thinking about the first games in the series, starting from the SNES-version), but I guess that's only me.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathanaël said:
What about the three Taiko no Tatsujin games, Madame de Eclaune? It's basically the same as Cooking Mama...
Taiko no Tatsujin is a series of rhythm and music games where you basically poke the screen the entire time.
Cooking Mama is a series of simulation games where you poke, swipe, flick, and scribble across the screen the entire time.

They are in no way the same, and because they are so different they cannot be compared.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One game that I really think had great dating aspects was Thousand Arms; if only Natsume could remember such an obscure gem.

Jlarinda

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
Sora de Eclaune said:

But but. The whole point of the games is to build up an awesome ranch from basically nothing but an empty, dirty field. And managing time - if the cooking was done in a mini-game in Cooking Mama style, it'd take /forever/. Think of the petting/brushing/etc system we had for the DS version (... right? hopefully I'm not mixing it up). It was adorable, sure! But when you have to get ten thousand things done during the day, you just don't want to interrupt the routine and rushing to carefully pet each animal you own. It takes too long, and it interrupts the general flow of the game. It'd be the same for cooking.

Dunno, it just seems you're expecting way too much of the franchise. Your comment's the equivalent of going, omg I hope we don't have to train pokémon this time! in a pokémon hype thread |D;

Anyway. That aside, ajfsk I've been waiting for this game FOREVER. I'm beyond excited about it, and I've been poking around at the info we do have so far, sprites, etc, and it all looks so amazing. I can't WAIT to play it, and it absolutely seems way, way better than the previous titles.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Jlarinda said:
Sora de Eclaune said:

But but. The whole point of the games is to build up an awesome ranch from basically nothing but an empty, dirty field. And managing time - if the cooking was done in a mini-game in Cooking Mama style, it'd take /forever/. Think of the petting/brushing/etc system we had for the DS version (... right? hopefully I'm not mixing it up). It was adorable, sure! But when you have to get ten thousand things done during the day, you just don't want to interrupt the routine and rushing to carefully pet each animal you own. It takes too long, and it interrupts the general flow of the game. It'd be the same for cooking.

Dunno, it just seems you're expecting way too much of the franchise. Your comment's the equivalent of going, omg I hope we don't have to train pokémon this time! in a pokémon hype thread |D;

Anyway. That aside, ajfsk I've been waiting for this game FOREVER. I'm beyond excited about it, and I've been poking around at the info we do have so far, sprites, etc, and it all looks so amazing. I can't WAIT to play it, and it absolutely seems way, way better than the previous titles.
That's not what I meant... Come on...

The last time I played any Harvest Moon game was the one on the GBA. After I had planted all the crops I could and tended to them and already devoted time to my character's love interest, there was nothing else to do and all I could do was wait for night so I could sleep and do the same thing the next in-game day. There needs to be a lot more to do when you've done everything.

Jlarinda

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
QUOTE said:
The last time I played any Harvest Moon game was the one on the GBA. After I had planted all the crops I could and tended to them and already devoted time to my character's love interest, there was nothing else to do and all I could do was wait for night so I could sleep and do the same thing the next in-game day. There needs to be a lot more to do when you've done everything.

Oh 80 That makes more sense... I've played all the new DS ones and I honestly think they do give you tons to do. Between the amount of characters to tend to and the Harvest Sprites, the insanely huge mines and the amount of items to grow/find/etc, I end up using up all my days to the fullest and it's almost never enough. I never feel like, okay, I have nothing to do now! (I did feel that way with Graand Bazaar, though, but it's really different so I'm not really counting it)

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
I enjoyed playing Grand Bazaar and upon seeing this. I'm hyped
smile.gif

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only a few weeks; I'm surprised more people arent that into this. I remember reading not that long ago that it went gold.

orma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm Hyped. I love HM games and I don't mind the repetitiveness. My only gripe is taking care of animals... sitting there for a few seconds for each big animal was a bit tedious to me.

Any idea if they have a better inventory system? I liked the stacking/carrying stacks system that Rune Factory 3 used.

and... It's quite funny that Europe gets this first then we get it 7 days later.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Europe almost always get it a bit earlier; I don't really mind. The games are practically identical and the rom is available sooner. I'm really hyped for this; they always delay the games. Anyone have any news on what makes this game different?

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was a huge fan of harvest moon but when when harvest moon grand bazaard come at i tryed it and started to like it more then b4 so im excited to try this one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a