1. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Like chary mentioned. The story of season games are actually the real harvest moon games.

Marvelous the actual developer for a long time had a publisher deak with natsume.
    Later on they cut ties with them due deciding to having the translation done in house via Xseed (Xseed ist owned by narsume).

Sadly narsume didn't want to give them the name harvest moon.
    So marvelous decided to use a more literal translation of the Japanese name, story of season.

Natsume meanwhile, having lost their cashcow, decided to develop games themself while using harvest moon name power.

Sapphire01, Sumasuun, Chary and 2 others like this.
  2. Digs

Digs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Judging by how cheaply made, and poorly received the last few have been I'm surprised they're still trying to make these.

Frexxos likes this.
  3. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    You do know that the American translators (Natsume) decided that they no longer want to work with Marvelous (the original game creators) and started their own "Harvest Moon" series. The game you played was the "story of aeasons" story, anything you see named "harvest moon" is now a different series altogether.

Brigand and r5xscn like this.
  4. evertonstz

evertonstz GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    No Story of Seasons, no money. Sorry Natsume, you made your bed now lie in it.

Sapphire01 likes this.
  5. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Haven't played a Harvest Moon game since 'A Wonderful Life'. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough to encourage me to buy more Harvest Moon games.

6. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    A wonderful life was the slowest harvest moon game. Magical Melody was strictly in my opinion, a better harvest moon game in virtually all fronts when it came to the Gamecube ones.

7. Kodaleafeon

Kodaleafeon Member
    Newcomer

United States
    It's not really Nintendo that's at fault in the case of this series. Natsume is the one at fault for the condition of Harvest Moon, since as Chary said, they decided to try and develop their own games using the name when the dev team cut ties. The actual devs for the franchise just went with Story of Seasons as a name since Natsume didn't wanna give it up, plus they do actually seem to consider suggestions made by the fans.

Last edited by Kodaleafeon, May 13, 2020
    Sapphire01 likes this.
  8. CactusMan

CactusMan GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    They just need some more practice, the other compagnie has experience since the SNES. They ain´t on par with Doraemon Story of Seasons or Stardew Valey. But they ain´t all that bad, worst thing about the last game Light of Hope was the season pass scamming. It was kinda basic on story and the game world. I tought the mutating crops were interesting.
    Everyone makes it seem like it´s the worst game ever. Like you would rather play E.T. , it wasn´t bad just average.
    I can see them make great games they just need to adjust from the translation patches. I´ll suport them.

9. Kodaleafeon

Kodaleafeon Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yeah, there's a possibility Natsume can improve, but their track record isn't good. Weren't really great when they were just localizing so I'm holding my breath with them.

CactusMan likes this.
  10. Frexxos

Frexxos GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I have just started on Switch "Story of Seasons Doraemon" and I have to say: This way more Harvest Moon then every Harvest Moon named game was in the past. Not bad. Thanks for the advice to tray those Story of Season Games.

CactusMan likes this.
  11. Xmortal

Xmortal Other Nickname Legarad

Venezuela
    Story of Season is not the literal translation of its Japanese name but it is close. Bokujou Monogatari It literally translates as Ranch Story.

Last edited by Xmortal, May 13, 2020
    Frexxos likes this.
  12. Sillybunnie

Sillybunnie Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Watch this seasons of story is actually harvest moon. Would be like if the writer of Harry Potter books sold the name Harry Potter to a company to publish her books but then had a falling out with the publisher, so decided to self publish but couldn't call her new books Harry Potter anymore as the publisher owned all the rights to sell books called Harry Potter. So instead she continued the stories but renamed the books to a different name even though same characters and stories.

13. Estriole

Estriole Newbie
    Newcomer

Indonesia
    Doraemon Story of Season concept is back to basic old school Harvest Moon (Bokujo Monogatari) from SNES and Playstation Era... but added with a little twist Doraemon Gadget... i think this is a good game.. i enjoy the game so much because i'm fan of both Doraemon or Bokujo Monogatari...
    I also hope this crossover could expand to another series like Rune Factory does... there might be lots of possibilities... for example One Piece Story of Season, Naruto Story of Season (Farming in Ninja world), Dr. Stone Story of Season (i think this could be epic concept btw) or some Sci-fi themed Story of Season (we know HM:Innocent life did not satisfy us enough... so maybe full steam punk sci fi theme crossover might be epic)... this might make a breakthrough to this kind of game which started to get repetitive...
    I also once have fantasy about Rune Factory crossover with Suikoden "Recruit and build HQ / Town" concept when playing Rune Factory 4 in 3ds... maybe called it Rune Margin (Suikoden based on water margin story).

Frexxos and CactusMan like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - announced, Nintendo, Harvest