Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hey
i just had an idea
you know how theres pokemon mods where they change the story, change the pokemon and such?
wouldnt it be a good idea to mod harvest moon?
so theres like different events and stuff?
cuz for me, harvest moon gets kinda boring after going through most of the events....

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind a mod, but the mods would be better suited for after marriage though (Or after getting a kid too) since the game pretty much dies when you either get married or have a kid since there's really nothing left to look forward to.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChaosBoi said:
the game pretty much dies when you either get married or have a kid since there's really nothing left to look forward to.
Just like in real life
emotvgv2.gif

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^ Not quite, depending on the person though. At least even if you start a family, there's still a lot of things to look forward to in the future, like more gaming and advanced technology
smile.gif

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ChaosBoi said:
^ Not quite, depending on the person though. At least even if you start a family, there's still a lot of things to look forward to in the future, like more gaming and advanced technology
smile.gif
WOW, you just made the future look boring. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I thought about this. But NOT a mod of Harvest Moon DS. It plainly sucks.

A mod of Harvest Moon: FoMT (the one for the GBA) would be great. Something with lots of Magical Melody features, like the customizable house.

But that would require MASSIVE Assembly skills, so it will probably remain an idea
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Text hacks are easy enough and if done in a planned way i.e. not like 90%* of pokemon mods can be really good.

Level design: making a nice editor for people with little hacking skill is quite hard (95% of the tools you will see did not get that way overnight) but actually editing the level with basic tools would not be so bad.
Tools: I will call this similar to changing a pokemon. Changing sprites/models is easy enough but adding entirely new stuff (even if it falls under existing rules) is normally quite complex (basic ASM level normally maybe not for actually doing it but for the techniques inherent to it).
Events: normally linked to levels amongst other things. A bit harder, again changing is probably easier than adding them.
NPC/enemy behaviour: move in a circle is not hard to change and in the case of enemies it can be abused a bit to make for some more interesting patterns (a good example would be bots on some older FPS titles: they aim perfectly but if you look at them via a chase cam or something they will all be moving in a massive infinity symbol (usually based on sine curves) to give the impression of bad (read human) aiming.

As raulpica says though Harvest Moon is not that great, rune factory on the other hand already has some decent groundwork which with some effort could be a fantastic game (some level tweaks, random stats, altering of characters/story text a bit) and I have already pulled the Japanese version apart a bit (most of it was uncompressed or basic LZ compressed (a extra 3 seconds to go to and from) and text was shiftJIS). If you liked it would also be possible to "port" a harvest moon type story and go from there.

*damn generous estimate if you ask me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo