Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness GxG

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by ChaosBoi, Sep 15, 2008.

Sep 15, 2008
  1. ChaosBoi
    OP

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    WARNING: If you do not like the idea of two people of the same gender dating and/or marrying, I'd suggest you leave now.

This is a gender swap hack I have made for fun, which was inspired by a topic posted in the GBA section of this site some time ago about sprite hacking FoMT. It allows you to marry the person of the same gender as you, which the AR code (The one I saw) couldn't do. Though it isn't 100% perfect, it still does pretty much what I want it to do. As you might've guessed already, GxG has two meanings: GuyxGuy and GirlxGirl.

There are some minor bugs, which are mainly graphics-related issues but nothing that should stop you from proceeding in the game, as far as I have tested with a save file. I have listed all the small issues I have noticed in the readme file, as well as the rest of the changes this patch makes so I recommend you read up about them first.

Anyway, if you are interested in trying out this hack, then feel free to download it below:

NOTE: For some reason, the cheats menu won't show up for this hack in my cousin's R4 so they might not work on this hack. I will not look into this, as I am not fond of cheating in games that have wifi competitions.

Harvest Moon: IoH GxG Patch v0.1

Though I listed the version as 0.1, a future update may or may not be possible. I'm no expert hacker and may not be able to fix everything that might come up. However, if you do encounter something like the game crashing at a certain point, let me know and I'll see if I can find the solution. If you are an experienced rom hacker, then feel free to try and fix any errors you've noticed and let me know what you fixed.

Here are two screenshots I have taken while running the game on NO$GBA:

[​IMG]

This is using the Male gender system, but the sprite is shown as Chelsea.

[​IMG]

Notice how Chelsea's sprite picture is still there instead of Mark's, and also the big spaces in the profile? Those are the kind of minor bugs I've been talking about. The reason why there's some big spaces in the profile is because when I did some minor text edits, the new changes must include the same amount of letters and stuff as the original text so I had to add in spaces to fill in the gap.

2. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    For the profiles, instead of adding spaces, I recommend moving all the text forward and then just filling the empty space with 00. Ideally you could delete that extra space altogether if you figured out where the pointers are; I imagine you'd need more space for the other half of the descriptions where "man" needs to change to "woman".

3. ChaosBoi
    OP

United States
    I've already tried adding 00 but it would crash on me when I accessed the Assets menu. Anyway, it doesn't really look all that bad though if you ask me.

EDIT: And yes, I would need more space to change Male to Female. I just displayed it as Girl instead though.

4. gamma93

Member gamma93 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Looks good so far, I wanna use it.
    _____>

5. cxtx3

Newcomer cxtx3 Newbie

United States
    This is awesome! Though I don't know anything about hacks sadly, just AR codes. But this is very promising! I believe I already told you that on the UNOT forum though. [​IMG]

6. SoulAnger

Member SoulAnger MENUdo's Developer

Philippines
    Man, this is awesome [​IMG] Thanks for this hack man!

7. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    ...was that a bump?

8. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    It's a legit post [​IMG] (from what I interpret, it is)

9. raffo89

Newcomer raffo89 Member

Italy
    Does this works for the PAL version? If not, can someone make it compatible?

Thanks!

10. quikshadow

Newcomer quikshadow Advanced Member

United States
    Lol it looks like a good hack. But seems kinda useless...lol good job anyways.

11. ChaosBoi
    OP

United States
    I'm not sure, to be honest. This one was made from the US version so I doubt it. Also, why don't you just use the US version of this game? I heard Rising Star's a lot worse than Natsume when it comes down to the HM games.

12. chestermeister21

Newcomer chestermeister21 Member

Philippines
    wow, nice hack [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. raffo89

Newcomer raffo89 Member

Italy
    Well, I'm Italian and I understand english very well, but I'd rather play it in my language [​IMG]
    I also noticed there a lot of people in this forum that are not english speakers, so I though a PAL version of this hack would have been very useful.

14. sanami2315

Newcomer sanami2315 Newbie

Japan
    Hey, I figured out how to use AR codes on it. Basically, it works like this:

1. Use the ARDS editor to determine the Game ID (I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but for me it was: ABJE 66237275) by going to Tools: Get GameID from ROM

2. In the AR Code Manager right click a codelist and select option "Add New Game". Name appropriately and input ABJE in the ID and 66237275 or whatever you get for the game ID number.

3. Add codes (I'm sure you know how to do this) to the new game.

Viola! Codes are now possible. I haven't run into any issues so far, other than that one weird one where you try to equip a yellow wonderful before Gannon arrives, but hey, that's normal. I think it's the same for any and all patched games, just so long as the patch doesn't change the underlying architecture of the game. For this patch, for instance, all that was changed was the sprites and a little dialogue. Everything else worked out the same.

PM me if you have any problems. I'm new here, but I will try to help you!

15. tzeshern

Newcomer tzeshern Newbie

Malaysia
    awww the link to the file is dead.