ROM Hack Harvest Moon DS Cute Portrait File Help

justadrawer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to do a very minor sprite edit for Harvest Moon DS Cute. Not much, just changing how some of the characters look a little bit. I've successfully found the overworld sprites in the character.bin file, and edited the ones I want to change to my heart's delight. However, all the characters have portraits, as well, to show what emotion each character has when you talk to them.
I can't for the life of me figure out where these portraits are in the game's files. I would assume they're located in face.bin, given the name, but I opened that file up in Tile Molester, and I can't figure out how to format it to make something show up. Can anyone with more experience tell me how to format that file in Tile Molester so that I can view the portraits and change them? Or, if the portraits are located in some other file, which one is it, and how do I format that? Thank you for helping, if you can.
The programs I have right now are: Tinke, Crystal Tile 2, and Tile Molester. (I also have Desmume, if that's something I need.) I'm willing to download another program if I need to.
Again, if you can help me, it's very much appreciated. And thank you very much for your time.

justadrawer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I stumbled across the answer to my own question, so I decided to post what I found in case anyone else wants to know what I did. I ussd GBA Graphics Editor to open the face.bin file, and clicked "compressed graphics", which organized the images into comprehensible images. They were still slightly scrambled (even when I adjusted the width as much as I could), but it was workable. I decided to just unscramble the image, edit it, and then rescramble it, because it's the only way I could think of to get this done. I saved the file as a pmg when I found the proper palette info, and I edited the image to my heart's content, being careful not to use any more than 16 colors, and being careful the file size didnt exceed the file size of the original. Then I replaced the png, and imported the palette as well, editing the second palette (bc there are 2 for each portrait for some reason) to match the first. I saved the file, replaced the face.bin file in the original game with the new one, and saved, and it worked completely! If I havent explained this well enough, feel free to ask me what I did. But I'm very happy I got this to work! :^D

Reactions: Gaara4

justadrawer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I stumbled across the answer to my own question, so I decided to post what I found in case anyone else wants to know what I did. I ussd GBA Graphics Editor to open the face.bin file, and clicked "compressed graphics", which organized the images into comprehensible images. They were still slightly scrambled (even when I adjusted the width as much as I could), but it was workable. I decided to just unscramble the image, edit it, and then rescramble it, because it's the only way I could think of to get this done. I saved the file as a pmg when I found the proper palette info, and I edited the image to my heart's content, being careful not to use any more than 16 colors, and being careful the file size didnt exceed the file size of the original. Then I replaced the png, and imported the palette as well, editing the second palette (bc there are 2 for each portrait for some reason) to match the first. I saved the file, replaced the face.bin file in the original game with the new one, and saved, and it worked completely! If I havent explained this well enough, feel free to ask me what I did. But I'm very happy I got this to work! :^D
EDIT: don't change the palette. that was a big mistakey. that will also change the palette for the rest of the portraits for that character. luckily i saved at several points under different file names, just in case I did something stupid. (i know me very well :P). instead, I took the image before I changed it, clicked "raw dump" to save it as a bin file, and edited it in tile molester, following pixel for pixel the changes I made to the png file, editing the palette in TM as I go, so I can account for the fact that each portrait has 2 palettes. for the rest of the portraits, I plan on saving as a png, unscrambling it, editing it, rescrambling it, then saving the original as a .bin, and editing it in TM, pixel for pixel, to match the changes I made to the png file. while it's terribly inconvenient, I put it in the game and proved that it works, so while this is gonna take me a long while, I'll get it done :D

dreamarche

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How were you able to open any files for this game on GBA Graphics Editor, I tried opening the game in it but I can't seem to select any games that aren't GBA games?

dreamarche

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How were you able to open any files for this game on GBA Graphics Editor, I tried opening the game in it but I can't seem to select any games that aren't GBA games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1