OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
First of all: there are spoilers in this topic.

Just finished reading the Harry Potter series...boy, what great books.

I liked Deathly Hollows. I hated how there were so many deaths in this book, and how Dumbledore didn't really come back.
Also, I wished the battle of Harry and Voldemort would have been more epic...
Also, I refuse to believe that Dumbledore was gay
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I have two questions:

How exactly did Harry become the master of the Elder Wand?...it doesn't make sense to me.

And what does the crying baby in the floor of King's Cross (at the end of the movie) have to do with anything?

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And what does the crying baby in the floor of King's Cross (at the end of the movie) have to do with anything?

Do you mean book? The crying baby is Voldemort and he's stuck between heaven and hell.. or something like that >_>

QUOTEJon: Since voldemort was afraid of death, did he choose to be a ghost if so where does he haunt or is this not possible due to his horcruxes
J.K. Rowling: No, he is not a ghost. He is forced to exist in the stunted form we witnessed in King's Cross.

From http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156

You should have a read of that, it's really cool how Rowling made such a complete universe and has thought of every small thing, everything has an answer! Unless she was just making things up as she went along >_>

F

Fiddy101

You took a long time to finish it lol
tongue.gif

Yes I also think their battle should be more epic.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country

Do you mean book? The crying baby is Voldemort and he's stuck between heaven and hell.. or something like that >_>

QUOTE said:
Jon: Since voldemort was afraid of death, did he choose to be a ghost if so where does he haunt or is this not possible due to his horcruxes
J.K. Rowling: No, he is not a ghost. He is forced to exist in the stunted form we witnessed in King's Cross.

You should have a read of that, it's really cool how Rowling made such a complete universe and has thought of every small thing, everything has an answer! Unless she was just making things up as she went along >_>

I don't think so.
Its true that she did create somewhat of a complete universe but she left MASSIVE plotholes open at the 5th and 6th book(the black veil being one of them) and didn't make up some of her promises which she said in her interviews.
Personally I found the last book to be somewhat lacking and it just tried to impress and shock you simply by having a larger bodycount than "The Departed". The book felt rushed towards the end in my opinion.
I found the fanfic version of HP7 to be a lot better read.

I can't find a link at the moment.

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States

QUOTE said:
Jon: Since voldemort was afraid of death, did he choose to be a ghost if so where does he haunt or is this not possible due to his horcruxes

Thanks for that information...didn't know that - JK Rowling should of mentioned who the baby was in the book >_>

QUOTE(Fiddy101 @ Jan 17 2008, 11:46 AM)
You took a long time to finish it lol
tongue.gif

Yes I also think their battle should be more epic.

I started reading them in like August (starting with Sorcerers Stone)...

And I'll be looking for the fan fiction, didn't there was one. Thanks
smile.gif

Also, can someone explain clearly how Harry turned out to be the rightful owner of the Elder Wand?

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll take a quick swing at that one.
SPOILERS!!!!
SPOILERS!!!!

So, in order to become the rightful owner of the elder wand a wizard would have to defeat the previous owner in a duel. We know that Dumbledore was the owner of the elder wand up until his death and that Draco was the one who had stunned Dumbledore and made him drop his wand, effectively defeating him in a duel although it was Snape who actually killed him. Because of that fact Voldemort believed Snape to be the rightful owner due to him killing Dumbledore and thus killed him to gain control of the wand but Draco was actually the owner. So when Harry comes back and disarms Draco and takes his wand when he's at his house he actually has beaten him in a duel and becomes the rightful owner of the wand. At least that's how I understood it.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
beedog19 got it right. That's how it happened.

And it's better that Rowling didn't elaborate on what the baby was. It's called imagery and it's better when it's left as an image rather than explanation, especially in that case. Sorry if you felt left out on it
smile.gif

Where's this fan fiction? Find the link or post the title so we can Google it!

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country

1. Voldemort conveniently putting the Sorting Hat on Neville's head, and Neville somehow drawing the sword from within when Griphook the goblin had it.

2. Harry and company just happening to stumble across Dean Thomas and company in the woods.

3. Harry conveniently forgetting about the Taboo on Voldemort's name just to get them out of the woods.

4. Lupin and Tonks' trivialized deaths.

5. The semi-uselessness of the Deathly Hallows, and the fact that the whole final battle with Harry and Voldemort hinged on the ownership of a wand.

6. Umbridge and Skeeter never getting what they deserved, despite having good opportunities to be punished (come on, why was Umbridge even in the book if not to be punished? It could easily have been some other Ministry worker, like Pius Thicknesse- that would have been pretty ominous).

7. Entirely too long stretches of time where Harry and company chilled at Grimmauld Place, the woods and Shell Cottage, just because they didn't know what to do

8. RON LEARNING HOW TO SPEAK PARSELTONGUE. Jesus Christ that pissed me off SO MUCH. A plot contrivance of the highest order. Even I caught that one my first time through.

9. Many of the fan theories proving correct (this wasn't really JK's fault but still- RAB being Regulus Black was obvious, but also Snape loving Lily, Harry sort of dying and being the 7th Horcrux- although the explanation for why Harry survived the Killing Curse a second time was pretty cool).

10. The Resurrection Stone's uselessness (it could have easily been combined with the Philosopher's Stone, although since that was destroyed who knows what JK would have to do about that).

Some plotholes I copypasta'd.

http://melindaleo.com/fics/tsh/

fanfic

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, I gotta complain about those "plot holes". Plot holes are loose ends, things that are never explained. Happening upon other characters in the forest is not a plot hole -- yeah, it's convenient, but not something missing from the plot.

Your #1 item is explained in the second book -- a true Gryffindor can pull the sword from the hat at any time. Go re-read Chamber Of Secrets.

Umbridge not being punished isn't true ... being chased by Grawp into the woods isn't punishment? Besides, in real life, what are the chances that Umbridge would have been "punished"? Her character was based on the Superintendent at my old school district, or at least seemed to be. He was never punished for the wasteful spending and ridiculous rules he put into place, some no better than what were portrayed in the book.

But again, that's not a plot hole. The plot makes sense and is complete without Umbridge being punished. It's just something the readers would like to have known and are complaining about not knowing.

There's a big difference between actual plot holes and things fans thought should have been included. In the LOTR movies, there is no scourging of the Shire or Tom Bombadil, and though some fans would have loved those to be in there, they aren't plot holes in the movies.

EDIT: fixed some typos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9p0iK877W4