Hacking Hardware Update Frequency?

tomike94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey community. Another noob (but wow, reading these posts, you guys are amazingly helpful to new community members who don't read the sticky) and I have a quick question that compares the R4i Gold to the Supercard DsTwo

I realize that the R4i Gold sometimes requires hardware revisions but how often has this problem come up (do you think it will happen anytime soon)? I just got an XL and I'm only looking to play DS roms so emulation's not a big deal but if I had to buy a new flashcart every few months that would be a dealbreaker.

Also, off topic, but, it seems there's been some quick comments alluding to the DStwo having slightly worse DS compatibility than the R4i Gold but I've looked everywhere and for the life of me can't find a compatibility chart

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey community. Another noob (but wow, reading these posts, you guys are amazingly helpful to new community members who don't read the sticky) and I have a quick question that compares the R4i Gold to the Supercard DsTwo

I realize that the R4i Gold sometimes requires hardware revisions but how often has this problem come up (do you think it will happen anytime soon)? I just got an XL and I'm only looking to play DS roms so emulation's not a big deal but if I had to buy a new flashcart every few months that would be a dealbreaker.

Also, off topic, but, it seems there's been some quick comments alluding to the DStwo having slightly worse DS compatibility than the R4i Gold but I've looked everywhere and for the life of me can't find a compatibility chart

The R4i Gold, if I am not mistaken, has only had 3 different revisions, rev.C being the current one.(See what Rydian said) The new models are typically only made as needed, and the current ones have different hardware in them than the previous revisions did, which allows them to evade the flashcart detection that was imposed in newer system menu versions that actually looked beyond just the header.

DSTWO having slightly worse DS compatibility in what respect, as far as the roms go or compatibility with DS systems? In either case, neither should be worse, except for possibly the second one, and I'll touch on that in a minute.

As far as roms go, the DSTWO can emulate an original cartridge by disabling cheats, RTS, soft reset, etc while running a rom if you run into one with troublesome AP (that's how the new Pokemon games were playable on it right off the bat), so ROM compatibility should be, one way or another, 100% with the DSTWO.

As far as compatibility with DS systems, it's always there too for the most part. New DS firmwares have a workaround in usually less than a day with the Supercard team, and it seems like the new patches are actually out in a few hours from the update dropping. Updating the DSTWO is usually a case of just replacing some files on the SD card rather than flashing a whole new firmware to it. However, there was a point where the DSTWO experienced some nasty build quality issues, during which the carts wouldn't be detected by any system whatsoever. Nobody really found out how to fix it without buying a new one, but I hear less and less people with that problems these days, so I think it's pretty safe to say that whatever problem the manufacturer was experiencing has been resolved.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They've had a lot of revisions, 6 is the oldest we know of (I have one of those), then it goes through 9, then A-C. There's just only been two sets of models that stopped, 8 and below, and the incorrect C batch.

The DSTwo doesn't have worse DS game compatibility. Lots of people just fuck up and put hacked/corrupt ROMs on or something (this is actually very common).

If you want to avoid breaking compatibility, then never update the 3DS, but this also means never playing new 3DS games or using the online shop.

tomike94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, nice, thanks for the update guys. I'll definitely be frequenting the forum more often. On a side note, you two seem to really do quite a bit on the NDS forums and man, you've done a terrific job. I usually frequent Wololo forums because I'm usually a PSP guy, but really, kudos on all the knowledge you have and how great you are about welcoming community members.

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They've had a lot of revisions, 6 is the oldest we know of (I have one of those), then it goes through 9, then A-C. There's just only been two sets of models that stopped, 8 and below, and the incorrect C batch.

The DSTwo doesn't have worse DS game compatibility. Lots of people just fuck up and put hacked/corrupt ROMs on or something (this is actually very common).

If you want to avoid breaking compatibility, then never update the 3DS, but this also means never playing new 3DS games or using the online shop.

I sell flashcarts and you are right people just dont know what they are doing. I been selling DSTWO's for a while and so far no complaint at all Unlike with r4s... I started selling r4i gold and became a distributor because dstwo and r4i gold seems to be the best cards or at least thats what polls done here and members here claim so why not :)

I personally have played pokemon black 2 from start to finish on a dual core and never gave me problems BUT the only bad thing about this card is they come up with new products every 2-3 or 6 months -__-"

tomike94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sell flashcarts and you are right people just dont know what they are doing. I been selling DSTWO's for a while and so far no complaint at all Unlike with r4s... I started selling r4i gold and became a distributor because dstwo and r4i gold seems to be the best cards or at least thats what polls done here and members here claim so why not :)

I personally have played pokemon black 2 from start to finish on a dual core and never gave me problems BUT the only bad thing about this card is they come up with new products every 2-3 or 6 months -__-"

Ok cool, thanks. I think I'll buy the R4 just because of the price and honestly, I feel like once the 3ds is figured out, which I assume will happen in at least two years, emulation will probably be miles better and that's the only thing I would get the DStwo for anyways.

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 3ds has been out for nearly 2 years I believe (2011) and still nothing, it seems nearly impossible if its taken that long and still nothing /:

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
the 3ds has been out for nearly 2 years I believe (2011) and still nothing, it seems nearly impossible if its taken that long and still nothing /:
... seriously? I mean come on, that's like a 10 year old kid saying something like "This bus ride to school is 10 minutes long, IT TAKES FOREVER".

The PS3 took four years.

tomike94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I honestly don't expect it to happen for a long time. I mean, I think the people that "could" have it hacked probably realize the implications of releasing a fully system hack this early in a system's life span, among several other reasons. Besides, I only want to use a full system hack to play better quality emulators (which I'm holding out on, seeing as how popular the 3ds is; SNES and Genesis galore...) and so from now until then I have the flourishing 3ds library at my disposal, which also means I can hopefully help out the devs a bit in the mean time.

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ps
... seriously? I mean come on, that's like a 10 year old kid saying something like "This bus ride to school is 10 minutes long, IT TAKES FOREVER".

The PS3 took four years.

Well I don't have a hacked ps3 for a reason & by me saying it seems nearly impossible it's because that's how it seems... BUT up to this day things have change (gateway 3ds card : its a start and eitherway is not enough for some people they always want more) anyhow im sure Nintendo will just block everything and anything with updates and I wouldn't be surprised if they at some point decide to make updates automatically... Will see

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things