Hacking Hardware model restrictions for hacking/homebrew? (CECH-3001 a/b)

oldskool75

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So I've seen lots of documentation about Firmware requirements for CFW/homebrew..

Yet no one mentions anything about the hardware itself..

For example, back in Aug 2011 or so, when everyone first caught wind of the new CECH-3001 A/B models coming soon.. they were dubbed 'unhackable' by the gossip/news-reposter sites..

But since they've been released, I haven't been able to find any clear sign that the hardware itself has any limitations to overcome beyond the fact that it was released with newer firmware than what is needed to JB..

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks..

jing90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well for a ps3 to be hackable it has to be on 3.55
new ps3 are already over 3.55 so you would need to downgrade them but you can downgrade them only if they came out of the box with 3.55 or less.
so for now new consoles are unhackable but I don't think the hardware is a problem.
eventually when (if) they release new cfw it probably won't matter which model you have

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, the firmware also includes the drivers to understand the hardware that it's flashed on. The big thing with these CECH-3K models is the fact that they start with a firmware greater-than 3.55, meaning only whatever firmware they come with out of the box actually has the drivers to communicate with the CPU and GPU. It's the reason that fail0verflow's demonstration of linux on a slim didn't work right... the firmware they downgraded it to was too old to understand the revision of CPU/GPU that those PS3's have.

Then again, I'm still pissed off @ $ony for neutering them in the first place. CECHA/B for me, thank you.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Screen-Shot-2011-10-27-at-1.04.gif

While this image hasn't been updated in a while, you can see that PS3's before the CECH-3000's were shipped out with firmware above 3.6, therefore you can assume that any newer PS3 shipped out will have 3.6+ firmware, making them "unhackable". However, they aren't truly unhackable as KaKaRoTo is in the process of making a hack for 3.73 and 4.0. Although you will be able to play homebrew games and the like, you will NOT be able to play backup games (at least until someone figures that out). Downgrading a PS3 whose default firmware was above 3.55 wouldn't work as codezer0 explained above. You can check the lowest firmware available on your PS3 by following this guide here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs